Waiting List Strategy ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoowaa

Oct 22, 2011
Winnipeg
ADDITIONAL cost per seat per game type if buying from Ticketmaster/SeatExchange compared to what a season ticket holder pays for his seat:

.....A Game B Game C Game
P1 $108.45 $86.18 $64.00
P2 $97.53 $77.73 $57.93
P3 $82.50 $66.28 $50.05
P4 $71.58 $57.83 $44.35
P5 $60.40 $49.38 $38.38
P6 $53.00 $43.65 $34.30
P7 $41.80 $35.20 $28.60

Waiting list members if attending every game would pay this in extra charges compared to seat holders (13 A games, 20 B games, 12 C games):
P1 $3,901.45
P2 $3,517.65
P3 $2,998.70
P4 $2,619.34
P5 $2,233.36
P6 $1,973.60
P7 $1,590.60

For season ticket holder attending NO games and reselling all of their tickets, the profit for a single seat to them would be:
P1 $2,450.25
P2 $2,166.75
P3 $1,781.00
P4 $1,500.50
P5 $1,213.75
P6 $1,021.00
P7 $737.25

Now that the demand has been stymied by not allowing non-waiting list members to buy tickets will the wait list move along quicker? Was this intended by TNSE or a miscalculation ?

The dollar amounts are staggering to me; If you are on the waiting list are you being more patient, not buying tickets ? I would sit on my hands as well if I thought that it would move me up the list faster just to avoid the gouging.

shaunhil

Nov 9, 2011
Morden
This just makes me want season tickets even more. Sell two games go to the next one free. No sympathy for the guys that have problems getting rid of tickets.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I have a half season of p3 tickets I usually sell my games that I can't make to friends and family I usually charge the "c" game prices no matter what level of game it is,I feel bad charging anymore ,the extra twenty bucks I get from selling the tickets helps off set any other costs (down payment,credit card interest,etc.).In my opinion true north is gauging the people right now,I could see the face value of the tickets going down a bit as the demand for tickets falls off.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
I have a half season of p3 tickets I usually sell my games that I can't make to friends and family I usually charge the "c" game prices no matter what level of game it is,I feel bad charging anymore ,the extra twenty bucks I get from selling the tickets helps off set any other costs (down payment,credit card interest,etc.).In my opinion true north is gauging the people right now,I could see the face value of the tickets going down a bit as the demand for tickets falls off.

but True North only has to sell 1000 tickets. I don't think the demand will drop that far. the real game changer would be if people on the wait list stopped taking season tickets when they have the chance. That would be an actual decrease in demand.

don't focus on this being an 'extra charge' to non-season ticket holders. It isn't. It's a discount to season ticket holders for buying in bulk. It's like any other inventory of items that could be sold in bulk.

22canuk

Sep 17, 2013
Wow....I have a couple of questions about this:

1. I have p5 tickets....with a list price of $67 for a season ticket holder. Are you saying if I bought a p5 "A" ticket off of seat exchange/ticketmaster that it would end up costing me $127.40 with everything in?

2. When you are talking about selling the tickets I am assuming you are selling them on seat exchange/ticketmaster as well? I always thought that I had to sell mine for $67 to friends and family so that I did not get into trouble.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012

1. I have p5 tickets....with a list price of $67 for a season ticket holder. Are you saying if I bought a p5 "A" ticket off of seat exchange/ticketmaster that it would end up costing me $127.40 with everything in?

2. When you are talking about selling the tickets I am assuming you are selling them on seat exchange/ticketmaster as well? I always thought that I had to sell mine for $67 to friends and family so that I did not get into trouble.

All I can tell you is that the $67 you see on your P5 ticket, is cheaper by a few bits then the cheapest ticket I have come by in the P7's looking for tickets on seat exchange, all-in.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

I think the only real stipulation is that you can't sell your ticket for more than face value. So whatever a P5 ticket would sell for at face value for an A-B-C game is the most you can charge for it. You don't have to charge the season ticket holder price because that's a discounted price that is the benefit of being said season ticket holder.

There's lots of talk of only selling on seat exchange because that's what TNSE encourages for the security of the buyer and seller but you can sell on StubHub or Kajiji or wherever you like. As long as the total ticket cost doesn't exceed the face value of the ticket then TNSE can't come after you for scalping which is a violation of the ticket holder agreement.

Of course selling on StubHub/Kajiji or elsewhere does come with some inherent risk. If by some chance you sell to a complete lugan that ends up getting thrown out of the game, there is no record of a transaction with TNSE to indicate this wasn't you or one of your close associates and you may be held responsible for their actions. Depending on how much of an idiot the individual was, theoretically TNSE could suspend your season ticket privileges. That to me is the security that comes from Ticket Exchange - I've sold my tix and they know I did so if it's Joe Moron in my seats, that ain't my fault.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I think the only real stipulation is that you can't sell your ticket for more than face value. So whatever a P5 ticket would sell for at face value for an A-B-C game is the most you can charge for it. You don't have to charge the season ticket holder price because that's a discounted price that is the benefit of being said season ticket holder.

There's lots of talk of only selling on seat exchange because that's what TNSE encourages for the security of the buyer and seller but you can sell on StubHub or Kajiji or wherever you like. As long as the total ticket cost doesn't exceed the face value of the ticket then TNSE can't come after you for scalping which is a violation of the ticket holder agreement.

Of course selling on StubHub/Kajiji or elsewhere does come with some inherent risk. If by some chance you sell to a complete lugan that ends up getting thrown out of the game, there is no record of a transaction with TNSE to indicate this wasn't you or one of your close associates and you may be held responsible for their actions. Depending on how much of an idiot the individual was, theoretically TNSE could suspend your season ticket privileges. That to me is the security that comes from Ticket Exchange - I've sold my tix and they know I did so if it's Joe Moron in my seats, that ain't my fault.

You're dealing with two different things, the ticket purchase agreement and the law. I assume since TNSE is giving people who sell on seatexchange the face value, TNSE's ticket purchase agreement allows for sale at face value.

By the exact letter of the law however, you can't sell a ticket for more than what you paid the event holder. So by the law a season ticket holder can't sell a ticket for face value. Ofcourse the chances of someone doing that getting fined by the cops is pretty much nil.

MB amusement act:
Scalping

60 No person shall sell, barter or exchange for anything any ticket of admission to a place of amusement for a price or consideration greater than that paid or given therefor to the owner of the place of amusement to which it is an admission.

seasontixholder*

I'm finding my numbers are off. My tickets are more than the op stated. About $500 more for my pair than stated. I know its not much but it is different.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
You're dealing with two different things, the ticket purchase agreement and the law. I assume since TNSE is giving people who sell on seatexchange the face value, TNSE's ticket purchase agreement allows for sale at face value.

By the exact letter of the law however, you can't sell a ticket for more than what you paid the event holder. So by the law a season ticket holder can't sell a ticket for face value. Of course the chances of someone doing that getting fined by the cops is pretty much nil.

MB amusement act:

Huh. Interesting and thanks for pointing that out.

I'm curious though how that would work. I get and agree that the likelihood of police involvement at face value selling is pretty minimal but I'm wondering what the stipulation is that allows TNSE to sell those tickets at a higher face value. I guess as the event holder they're allowed to sell for whatever they deem the value and the season ticket holder just gets a deal from them.

And spiraling off into a major digression, how does Ticketmaster manage to sell their own tickets at higher pricing for certain events than the actual event holder sets the price at (I'm thinking concerts). Or is Ticketmaster the event holder and they can sell whatever they want at whatever price whenever they want? I suppose the answer to that is yes.

Anyway, just rambling now...

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

By the exact letter of the law however, you can't sell a ticket for more than what you paid the event holder. So by the law a season ticket holder can't sell a ticket for face value. Ofcourse the chances of someone doing that getting fined by the cops is pretty much nil.

MB amusement act:

I have no idea how you'd determine what a season ticket holder paid for each individual game in a legal sense. I mean you could divide the price by the number of games, but season ticket holders pay a fee for a season, not game-by-game, so it would be imprecise. It's a legal grey area. The Jets set the value of individual game tickets and as long as season ticket holders fall within that price, should be no issue.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
I have no idea how you'd determine what a season ticket holder paid for each individual game in a legal sense. I mean you could divide the price by the number of games, but season ticket holders pay a fee for a season, not game-by-game, so it would be imprecise. It's a legal grey area. The Jets set the value of individual game tickets and as long as season ticket holders fall within that price, should be no issue.

as a matter of fact, the Jets do determine the individual game price as the total divided by the number of games. the ticket transfers show the 'price'. i.e.,

MTS Centre

Fri, Dec 27, 2013

7:00PM

Section ###, Row ##, Seat ## $56.50

Section ###, Row ##, Seat ## $56.50

This is the same for every game, regardless of A, B, C.

Nonetheless, the printed tickets show the face value on them, so it would be hard to get anywhere trying to nail people for scalping something at face value. Particularly if the person putting on the event expressly allows it (i.e., Ticket Exchange).

hoowaa

Oct 22, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm finding my numbers are off. My tickets are more than the op stated. About $500 more for my pair than stated. I know its not much but it is different.

I didn't quote what STH pay, I was quoting the premium that people who buy on the resale market pay.

This is the price season ticket holders paid for 45 home games this year:
P1 $6,086.25
P2 $5,377.50
P3 $4,432.50
P4 $3,723.75
P5 $3,015.00
P6 $2,542.50
P7 $1,833.75

ADDITIONAL cost per seat per game type if buying from Ticketmaster/SeatExchange compared to what a season ticket holder pays for his seat:

P1 $108.45 $86.18 $64.00
P2 $97.53 $77.73 $57.93
P3 $82.50 $66.28 $50.05
P4 $71.58 $57.83 $44.35
P5 $60.40 $49.38 $38.38
P6 $53.00 $43.65 $34.30
P7 $41.80 $35.20 $28.60

Waiting list members if attending every game would pay this in extra charges compared to seat holders (13 A games, 20 B games, 12 C games):
P1 $3,901.45
P2 $3,517.65
P3 $2,998.70
P4 $2,619.34
P5 $2,233.36
P6 $1,973.60
P7 $1,590.60

For season ticket holder attending NO games and reselling all of their tickets (at face value whether using TM/SE or cash deal, the profit for a single seat to them would be:
P1 $2,450.25
P2 $2,166.75
P3 $1,781.00
P4 $1,500.50
P5 $1,213.75
P6 $1,021.00
P7 $737.25

What is remarkable/fodder for conversation to me is:

1. The sheer amount of mark-up.
2. Limiting ability to buy to the waiting list members
3. Potential Effects.
4. Calling it a benefit to the waiting list holder.

I'm not saying it is wrong/right/moral/immoral, just notable and debatable in terms of what the intent was and now is.

Will there be so many tickets available that selling becomes more trouble than it's worth ?
Is it possible that the intent of TNSE is to "force" STH that sell a great number of their seats to get rid of their season tickets allowing waiting list people that may/should have the intent to attend enough games that the resale market dries up to an extent, increasing the demand ?

I can't see why someone on the waiting list would line everyone's pockets - I would shorten the wait by NOT participating in the "gouging" that is taking place forcing the matter given the apparent increased lack of demand.

seasontixholder*

I'd find it hard to believe that a police officer would fine you for selling a ticket for $100.00 when its printed $100.00 on the ticket. But hey it is Winnipeg. It wouldn't put it past me. Anyway the city can make money.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Demand is definitely down...regardless of the changes to Seat Exchange, take a look at the Ticketmaster site right now for Friday's game against the Blues. There are lots of lower bowl pairs+ available. I see 4 in a row in Sec 207 ($150 each). There's a pair in Row 6 of Sec 106 near center ice. A pair right behind the visitors bench, a bunch of pairs+ in the Club end zone. Only 1 seat in the whole upper deck though...328 on the end...$66 gets you in the door.

I find this to be a big change from the last two seasons where you'd see singles pop up on gameday.

Reed Solomon

GO ✈'s GO
Jul 26, 2011
Winnipeg, Man.
I find this to be a big change from the last two seasons where you'd see singles pop up on gameday.

What I'm surprised by is that people aren't trying for tickets on game day. Are these tickets not available to walk ups? They should be released a couple hours before the game at least so that we can have a legit walk up crowd and now we have an opportunity for out of town folks to get tickets if they're visiting. Theres not that many tickets available that a walk up crowd couldn't get any, if they were aware that it was an option.

allthisgold

Oct 8, 2013

You can sell your tickets above your cost but if you are doing so to family/friends you are profiting from them. Do you really want to do that?

bek816

Mar 17, 2012
I will point out that the math is slightly tilted because it includes the pre-season games. I highly doubt someone on the wait list would choose to buy tickets to pre-season games. Whereas me, a season ticket holder, I have no choice but to shell out 4 x $~83 for my P4 seat.

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
You can sell your tickets above your cost but if you are doing so to family/friends you are profiting from them. Do you really want to do that?

I was fortunate to snag tickets to some Tier 1 ("A" list or what have you) games on SeatExchange recently, both P5s. One ticket costs $103 plus fees, which came to $124 and change. Like was said earlier, P4s average out to ~$83 each (I'm part of a group with P4s - just couldn't get tickets to those games in our ticket draft)... :(

Last edited:

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
i haven't been to a game since the 2nd home game coyotes 2 years ago...

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

thesawch

Apr 16, 2012
I bought 2 tickets to the Anaheim game in P4 for $142 each. I was sitting beside a season ticket holder and he told me the game cost him $82 bucks approximently for his seat. I was kinda pissed that I had to pay that much more and the way the Jets are playing i am just going to sit at home and watch on my 55 inch HDTV . I am giving up my wait list spot this june also. I am getting in on a tix with someone higher up on the wait list. He's around 120 on the list I am up around 1100.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
For the Preds game on Sunday, as of right now, there are currently 125 tickets for sale on Ticketmaster. 17 in the 300s (1 single, 3 pairs, 1 triple and 7 in a row), 59 in the 200s (22 singles, 6 pairs, 4 triples, 2 quads and 5 in a row), 49 in the 100s (22 singles, 8 pairs, 1 triple and 2 quads).

There's at least one pair available for the Blues game tonight on TM (in the Club seats), but the interactive map option is gone so I couldn't see the singles.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
I'm a wait list member and will not touch seat xchange EVER with this ridiculous mark up. We get face value tickets from our friend who is a ST holder, and quite frankly trying to re-sell some of those tickets at face value to games we can't go to last minute has been difficult this season. Ridiculous ticket prices+markup/fees+terrible team on the ice = Demand WAY down.

390 on the wait list, hopefully i will get ST's next year. If the team misses the playoffs again TNSE should lower ticket prices by 2% as a show of good faith.

lighthouses

Jan 12, 2014

P1 $108.45 $86.18 $64.00
P2 $97.53 $77.73 $57.93
P3 $82.50 $66.28 $50.05
P4 $71.58 $57.83 $44.35
P5 $60.40 $49.38 $38.38
P6 $53.00 $43.65 $34.30
P7 $41.80 $35.20 $28.60

P1 $3,901.45
P2 $3,517.65
P3 $2,998.70
P4 $2,619.34
P5 $2,233.36
P6 $1,973.60
P7 $1,590.60

For season ticket holder attending NO games and reselling all of their tickets, the profit for a single seat to them would be:
P1 $2,450.25
P2 $2,166.75
P3 $1,781.00
P4 $1,500.50
P5 $1,213.75
P6 $1,021.00
P7 $737.25

Now that the demand has been stymied by not allowing non-waiting list members to buy tickets will the wait list move along quicker? Was this intended by TNSE or a miscalculation ?

The dollar amounts are staggering to me; If you are on the waiting list are you being more patient, not buying tickets ? I would sit on my hands as well if I thought that it would move me up the list faster just to avoid the gouging.

Non-waiting list members can buy tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad