Wait...yet ANOTHER mock draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Being inspired by other posters making their first mock drafts, I decided to join in on the fun. I tried to use the various HF team sites to get an idea of what each team MIGHT be lacking. I'm going to take the easy way out be only doing the top 14. So here goes:

1) WASHINGTON - Alexander Ovechkin
2) PITTSBURGH - Evgeny Malkin
3) CHICAGO - Rotislav Olesz
4) COLUMBUS - Cam Barker

I grouped these four together because, I think, for the most part, this the top plateau. Unless, the Hawks get scared off by Olesz concussions, this is how the top goes.

5) PHOENIX - Lauri Tukonen

Due to his play in the U-18s, he seems to be the pick here

6) NY RANGERS - Rob Schremp

I've seen a few non-Ranger fans place Wolski here, but, I've heard NO mention of the Rangers having any interest in him. Ladd, Tukonen and Thelen are other possibilities, but, with a team lacking in top line prospects, especially at center, Schremp seems the choice. And, given the uncertainty of Umberger right now, I don't see the Rangers passing up this much skill.

7) FLORIDA - Andrew Ladd

While stocked at center, Florida could use a quality LW prospect like Ladd. Tukonen, Schremp and Ladd could go ito any one of the 'Yotes, Rangers or Cats. This would appear to be the next plateau. Unless Florida takes a d-man, I don't think Ladd, Tukonen or Schremp go past 7.

8) CAROLINA - Wojtek Wolski

The 'Canes need to add to their forward depth, and Wolski's talent makes him intriguing. With the presence of Brendl, I'm almost tempting to not put Wolski here, but, I think Wolski just seems to be a Hurricane type of pick.

9) ANAHEIM - Wes O'Neill

The Ducks are lacking in the offensive d-man department, and O'Neill would appear to be the best option here.

10) ATLANTA - Alexander Radulov

The Thrashers are lacking in forwards with offensive capability (aside from Heatley and Kovalchuk, of course). Radulov seems to be the best offensive option on the board.

11) LOS ANGELES - Al Montoya

This seems the obvious spot for the first goalie to be taken. Montoya seems to be have a slight edge over Schwartz, at least from what I've read here. Wouldn't shock me to see LA trade down, knowing they'd still have a shot at one of the goalies later in the first.

12) MINNESOTA - AJ Thelen

I know the Wild could use help on the wings, but, if Thelen is available, I don't think they pass him up. He immediately becomes their best defensive prospect.

13) BUFFALO - Alexandre Picard

The Sabres would appear to have a need at LW behind Vanek, and Picard fills the bill.

14) EDMONTON - Mike Green

Another team with a need at offensive d-man. Other options were Lisin and Stafford.

Once things get settled after the first round, I will update the next eight teams.

Last edited:

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
IF Stafford is avaliable, Wild will pick him.

thats really not fair, unless minnesota has said "we will take Stafford" then thats a BS response, kinda like a ranger fan saying "rangers will take Ladd, or schremp," and i'm sure i'm guilty to that type of response just kind of a stupid response.

Other than that, a great draft, while I think Schwarz would be a better goalie than Montoya, not a bad draft at all. I like the plateau and the discussion of each player in reality to each team, well done

riles

Apr 8, 2002
Visit site
With Edmonton only having one goaltending prospect, I would be very surprised to see them pass on Schwarz if he is still available.

Other than that it looks pretty good, although O'Neill seems to be a more defensive oriented player.

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
IF Stafford is avaliable, Wild will pick him.

You might be right. But I sure hope Doug takes Thelen in a heartbeat if he falls to us.

However, I don't see the Ducks taking O'Neill over Thelen. If it's true that they need an offensive d-man, I think Thelen has a lot better upside in the scoring department. Sounds like O'Neil was more in the stay-at-home mold towards the end of the season.

Very good 1 through 8 though.

thestonedkoala

The reason is Risebrough has specifically said that he is looking for offense still and in the past couple of drafts, he has said defense can be taught, offense cannot be. That's why the Wild rarely, if ever, picked a defenseman in the top 2 picks (Schultz being the exception).

They have Burns now also on the blueline and the move looks permanent, which is a bit of a fluke too. He is a solid mobile defenseman that can hit but also has a good slapper from the point.

We are looking for either a center or probably a LW depending on who drops to us and Stafford is the BAP in the forward position which is a weakness for the Wild.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
ducksflytogether said:
If the Ducks took Wes O'Neill when A.J. Thelen was available, I would throw my TV out the window. That would really piss me off.

:lol:

I can see this happen. O'Neill is well known while Thelen has come from nowhere. I have still a slight preference for Thelen but with that offensive talent in the top 10 let's hope someone will fall to us (Ladd...)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
thestonedkoala said:
We are looking for either a center or probably a LW depending on who drops to us and Stafford is the BAP in the forward position which is a weakness for the Wild.

Well, he may be the BPA according to you, not sure the Wild will agree :D

I gotta agree with the other poster on this one, I'm always puzzled when fans make the call and almost inevitably are proven wrong.

My bet is the Wild will look closely at Chipchura and Green if available.

thestonedkoala

Vlad:

Stafford is a home boy (look at Irmen), I'm not saying they aren't going to be looking at Chipchura or Green or Thelen if they are avaliable, but Stafford is pretty good and again that home factor has to be taken into account.

We were proven wrong on Burn because he came out of left field but Koivu, Bouchard, and Gaborik were all around that area (Bouchard could've dropped a few) in mocks and everything. But I can't tell you because I joined last year but from what I've seen on CNNSI, ESPN, and the other places that cover the NHL draft, Koivu and Gaborik were around the top 10, (Koivu had a good ranking in the CSS, could've dropped a few, Gaborik is a given), they semi-reached for Bouchard (as I said could've dropped a few spots), but only Burns really came out of left field.

Stafford
1) Is a good center and will be one of the premier players on a good ND team
2) Wild has a need for a forward (specifically center or LW)
3) Riser has specifically said they are going for a forward this year again in the draft (read some of the uh inteviews with him and Tommy Thompson, I believe they have said they are looking for a couple more scorers, so getting one in the draft isn't really bad)
4) If you look at what the Wild are doing, they have plenty of defensemen now with Burns on the blueline (Reitz, Heid, Bolduc, Misharin, and maybe Fortunus waiting).
5) Chipper could be there or Stafford could be there but they aren't going to target a defenseman.

thestonedkoala

rnyquist said:
thats really not fair, unless minnesota has said "we will take Stafford" then thats a BS response, kinda like a ranger fan saying "rangers will take Ladd, or schremp," and i'm sure i'm guilty to that type of response just kind of a stupid response.

I can tell you this, the Wild are targeting the BAP at a forward position in this draft, we aren't looking for defenseman. I believe Stafford is near a top 10 player (maybe an outside reach) and you have to factor in that Stafford is playing in ND and is from Minnesota.

The other thing you have to look at is the Wild scout the waiver charts for defenseman than take them in drafts...We got Zyuzin last year and Henry this year, we called up Michalek, and Burns was unexpectedly put on the blueline but it seemed to really fit with Burns.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
The Wild will probably have a short list of guys they like and anticipate to be available at 12. If someone they expect to go higher is available, they may grab him regardless of offense or defense. That said, Risebrough has made a point of stressing that offense is what they'll be looking for. Also, there's a report (ok, the source is known for writing some questionable things..putting it mildly) that the Wild's first rounder will come out of the U18s, take it for what it's worth (probably not much.) ;)

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:
If the Ducks took Wes O'Neill when A.J. Thelen was available, I would throw my TV out the window. That would really piss me off.

I don't always agree with you DFT, but you are right on the money on this one. Thelen's upside is far better than O'Neill's. If they're both available, it's a "no brainer".

If Thelen's gone at #9, I'd take Stafford, Radulov or Montoya before O'Neill, not to mention someone who might just "fall" to the Ducks.

BIGTRAIN*

riles said:
With Edmonton only having one goaltending prospect, I would be very surprised to see them pass on Schwarz if he is still available.

Other than that it looks pretty good, although O'Neill seems to be a more defensive oriented player.

There are at least two highly regarded goalies re-entering the draft>> They both come from washington so there should be no problems getting goalies in the first or secound if that is what a team is after>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad