GDT: WAIT...THERE'S ANOTHER GAME? CAR @ OTT

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Waddell already made it clear Darling won’t be jettisoned. They’re going to look to get another goalie, keep Cam and let the three battle it out with the loser going to Charlotte.

I wonder what kind of guy they’re going to look for. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a clear cut starter leaving Ward and Darling to battle for the backup job. I don’t think Ward would come back without a guaranteed spot on the team. Probably another mediocre guy on par with what we already have. Keep getting more of the same and hoping someone works out eventually.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Waddell already made it clear Darling won’t be jettisoned. They’re going to look to get another goalie, keep Cam and let the three battle it out with the loser going to Charlotte.
He should not have any saying in this matter while he is not appointed as permanent GM.
GM with a brain would look to trade him or buyout him out. There is no need to stagnate growth of our young goalies in Charlotte.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think there's a chance it could just be some smoke too...I mean you don't generally announce you're dumping a player in the offseason until the regular season is over unless you want them to have no reason to play well (especially with 3 years left in a contract). Also have to think that 3 goalie competition is implicitly Ward + Darling/3rd guy battling for who sucks less

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He should not have any saying in this matter while he is not appointed as permanent GM.
GM with a brain would look to trade him or buyout him out. There is no need to stagnate growth of our young goalies in Charlotte.
Well of course they’re gonna look to trade him, they likely are accepting the common knowledge that no one will trade for him. Who in their right mind would?

The new GM can want to buy him out all he wants, it’s the owner who approves THAT transaction on any team. Waddell obviously talks to TD every day and knows where that stands. It makes sense. TD doesn’t want to throw away money, many owners likely look at buyout as a very last resort.

Of course Waddell has say in it. TD’s whole theme seems to be “everyone’s on the same page”, which obviously suggests all hockey minds involved with the running of the team throw in their two cents, though this is Waddell saying what the owner wants as much as saying what he wants.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
can anybody tell me what the **** happened to pdg and where this guy was literally any other time?
Combination of being moved up the lineup and likely told he’s being given a big look. He’s at a point in his development where he likely feels pretty confident about showing what he can do and holding the puck longer to make some plays, also knowing it’s time he started showing all that.

He and McGinn have been lumped together the whole time and McGinn took a huge step forward this season. I’d assume feels the two are similar level players up to this point.

I’ve never seen a reason for why they can’t be. He’s less physical but is the faster/all around better skater and a better puck carrier, arguably as good or better of a shot but because of the puck handling skills tends to shoot it much less vs making plays. McGinn keeps it very simple, PDG playing a more all around game has taken him longer to find a way to stand out.

They’re different players but all around Xbox scoring would have them at very similar levels, at least up to this year.

At the very least I hope Nordstrom moves on and PDG gets that permanent spot on the fourth with the ability to move up during the games.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but if they've already accepted a trade won't happen and that another goalie will be brought in, then isn't a buyout the cheapest option? I can't imagine Dundon will be happy to pay Darling his full salary to sit in Charlotte and potentially take games from Ned.
Maybe on paper the bottom line shows it to be, it then you’re paying him for years after he’s gone. It maybe less about saving money and more about not just throwing it away.

Darling probably can be a good ahl goalie, and when the other two get injured he gets called up. Maybe there’s something to salvage there, and taking at least another year to find out gives them that look and possible options. After another year the buyout is a bit less, maybe something changes on the trade market.

Buying him out now just spends money to make the embarrassment go away, but doesn’t really help. I doubt Td minds paying the salary as long as he’s getting something/anything from it vs paying him to not be here. There may be solution that doesn’t present itself now when the situation is so bad. Having him be a good ahl goalie and leading the kids can be a good thing, and even if he stays the length of the deal it’s over in three more years vs however long the buyout would last.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The best solution is Darling turns it around and plays at a level commensurate to his salary.

If he isn't there, or even NHL caliber, by training camp 2018 (and I know what I'm betting the cats and the kids on), the best thing is having a team take Scott Darling + some minor sweetner at 50% retained. That's 2 mil the next two years then 1.5 in the 3rd year, vs. a little less than 2 mil for the next 6 years (!).

Honestly it's a pretty good gamble that some team will accept Scott at 50% retained in the hopes of getting the great backup in Chicago, it was all Carolina and their crummy team, etc. etc., at some point in the next year....so no need to buy him out save as a last resort.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Zykov scored against Arizona and Ottawa. These are 2 good defensive teams that are projected to go deep into the playoffs this post season. We don't know what we have with Zykov yet. Need to see what he does on a consistent basis over 20 games.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The best solution is Darling turns it around and plays at a level commensurate to his salary.

I think there is a good chance he does turn it around. Two reasons to think this: 1) The advanced stats indicated he was pretty much a league average goaltender, the obvious stats like save% said he was better than average, which led to disappoint and apparently him losing his confidence. But he is not as bad as he has played this season. 2) He has overcome much more already in his life. I think 2018-2019 sees Darling something like 17-13-5 with a .911 as part of a two-man rotation.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I think there is a good chance he does turn it around. Two reasons to think this: 1) The advanced stats indicated he was pretty much a league average goaltender, the obvious stats like save% said he was better than average, which led to disappoint and apparently him losing his confidence. But he is not as bad as he has played this season. 2) He has overcome much more already in his life. I think 2018-2019 sees Darling something like 17-13-5 with a .911 as part of a two-man rotation.
evidence counter to this argument includes almost no consistent good habits with regard to basic positional fundamentals. in fact the most consistent thing about his play has been the lack of playing pucks properly, and moving at a speed even approaching replacement level. as bad as his stats have been this season, he’s looked worse than that.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
[QUOTE="hitchhiker42, post: 143493311, member: 2975734]

The hope is that Wallmark, Foegele, Saarela will develop the confidence to match their skill level. Next year Kuokkanen and Roy may join that group. At that point the Canes will have options they haven't had for a decade.[/QUOTE]

Our farm system is so loaded it reminds me of the time we had Dalpe / Bowman / Boychuk and Philippe Paradis!:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It didn't help us last 3 years when we went on winning streaks at the end of the season.

Here's how the Canes did the final 10 games of the last 4 seasons:

13/14: 4W, 3L, 3 OTL (90 point pace). They ended the season with 83 points
14/15: 4W, 5L, 1 OTL (73 point pace). They ended the season with 71 points
15/16: 3W, 4L, 3 OTL (73 point pace). They ended the season with 86 points
16/17: 4W, 4L, 2 OTL (82 point pace). They ended the season with 87 points

Other than turning 1 Loss into an OTL in 13/14 (which is the difference between a 90 point pace and an 82 point pace for those 10 games), the Canes final 10 games have been almost the same, or worse than their final record. I'm not sure where this notion of winning meaningless games which robs them of a better draft position is coming from since their record hasn't shown that the final 10 games of the last 4 seasons.

Re: the comment about being in the 30th spot up until early march in the McDavid year, that's not true. By March 1st, here were the standings:

Buffalo: 43 points
Edm: 46 points
AZ: 47 points
TOR: 55 points (in 63 games)
CAR: 55 points (in 61 games)

Canes were nowhere near the 30th spot by March 1st of that year and other than Buffalo and EDM swapping, the draft order remained the same from March 1 through the end of the season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad