GDT: WAIT...THERE'S ANOTHER GAME? CAR @ OTT

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Losing now won't make them better next year. It may give them a better draft position, but the odds that the draft pick has a significant impact next year is so small it's not worth worrying about.
I think anyone in top4 will play in NHL next year and be good, that is why I want us to lose and get better odds for lottery. These wins are just breaking my heart apart, because they are useless, just empty points without playoffs.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think anyone in top4 will play in NHL next year and be good, that is why I want us to lose and get better odds for lottery. These wins are just breaking my heart apart, because they are useless, just empty points without playoffs.

Watching this interview, Skinner seems like he's in a good mood right now. The more games like this, the better he feels about this team going into a year where he's going to have to decide if he wants to play with us for 7-8 more years. How many players as good as Skinner are in this year's draft, again?

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Watching this interview, Skinner seems like he's in a good mood right now. The more games like this, the better he feels about this team going into a year where he's going to have to decide if he wants to play with us for 7-8 more years. How many players as good as Skinner are in this year's draft, again?
It didn't help us last 3 years when we went on winning streaks at the end of the season.
Rookie Skinner or this years Skinner? Because many guys will be better than this years Skinner.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Agreed.

Every year I keep thinking these late season runs will carry over and every year I'm wrong. They don't do us any good. It's incredibly frustrating they can't get it together when it counts, but by the time the playoffs are a .1% chance, well here comes the winning streak and the competent play on the ice.

The Mcdavid year, they went winless in October and held the 30th spot in the league until early March. Then they decided they wanted to win. Great timing boys :rolleyes:

Rinse and repeat.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Hard to tell, but with how hot Florida was at the time and how hot Columbus became shortly after, I don’t think the Canes had much of a shot, even if we made some moves.

I mean, the longest win streak we had this year was 3,4? Don’t think we could match 10 in a row.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The difference this last set of games will make is marginal. The bad teams will lose, the good teams will win, and we’ll hover around .500. Higher draft picks are obviously better, but we know we won’t win the lottery. It just won’t happen. We’ve finished much higher and still not won the lotto. So fretting over a point here and there that may push up to 12 or 13 is just crying over spilled milk in my opinion. I just want to see the important players do well, it’s not like Dahlin is on our radar

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Agreed.

Every year I keep thinking these late season runs will carry over and every year I'm wrong. They don't do us any good. It's incredibly frustrating they can't get it together when it counts, but by the time the playoffs are a .1% chance, well here comes the winning streak and the competent play on the ice.

The Mcdavid year, they went winless in October and held the 30th spot in the league until early March. Then they decided they wanted to win. Great timing boys :rolleyes:

Rinse and repeat.
I've seen this around a few times, and it's wrong. By January 15th, both Edmonton and Buffalo were worse than us. That was 43 games into the season for us. As near as I can tell, it stayed that way. By February 20th, we were better than Arizona as well. Heck, by January 1st, Edmonton had tied us for last place in the league. So sure, we were last for a decent chunk of the beginning of the year, but after a 37 game start of 10-23-4, we went 20-18-7. We were mediocre for more of that year than we were awful. You can make the argument after that start they should have sold off everything that wasn't nailed down, but failing that, I think it's obvious those teams were just plain worse than us period. Not to mention, we went 6-11-4 down the stretch. Quite the winning streak.

And at the end of the day, there are guys like Barzal, McAvoy, Connor, Pastrnak to be found in the draft positions we will find ourselves in. Hopefully Necas from last year will be like one of those guys. I hope we win one of the lotteries, but there are big time talents to be found in the range we are in.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Also, people should be more realistic about this situation this year with regards to tanking. We didn't sell anybody off and the deadline, and we didn't really have much to sell off at the deadline to finish the year super terribly. If anything, trading Ryan and Stempniak probably would have been a positive. We're 4-6 in our last 10, and the only teams we've beaten are teams that are worse than us and have been pretty much the whole year in Chicago, Arizona, Islanders, and Ottawa. The last time we beat somewhat good teams in New Jersey and Philly, we were still somewhat in the race. I guess we could start Darling more, but that clown has managed to pull of a 2-2 record in his 4 recent games. And we are shutting people down and/or not letting people play with injuries at this point. The only argument you could make against us in that is that we called up Zykov rather than a scrub like Brown, and people would have been pissed if they did that. I'm not sure what else we realistically were going to do to tank the end of the season. Hell, even in a lot of the games we've won, it's not like it was some amazing effort. We just sucked less than the other scrubs of the league. We beat a few teams that blow worse than we do. It happens.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Zykov has 4 points in 3 games so far. His callup last year he had 1 goal in 2 games- small sample size of course but that's a point per game in the NHL. It is absurd he wasn't called up sooner. I know there's no guarantee that he'd have produced the same hadn't he been called up in January, for example. But just for fun I checked the schedule from January on- canes lost SEVEN one-goal games between then and now. If we'd had roughly one more point per game you'd have to think that's roughly seven more points in the standings from winning those games or at least taking them to overtime. And here we are, nine points out of a spot. Of course we'll never know for sure but I don't think it's too much of an exaggeration to say that the injection of another goal scorer earlier in the year could have put this team in the playoffs.

Oh well.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You can make a strong argument that his play so far is a credit to the teams patient development with him. We said we wanted to be more like classic Detroit who left their prospects in the ahl until they were “over ripe”. Made a big diffence with the non star players. When they finally showed up they were ready for full time duty on the third line.

This year may have really cemented his confidence in the offensive zone, and made him more of a pro between the ears. If he turns out to be a player next year, this year spent in the minors could be the best thing to ever happen to him. He wasn’t that strong a prospect for us until prior to halfway through this year.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
This year may have really cemented his confidence in the offensive zone, and made him more of a pro between the ears.

This an important point. I don't argue that Zykov wouldn't have scored goals in January, but the passes and solid defense he has been playing are because he was working on his game AND gaining confidence in Charlotte. He is no longer one-dimensional, which is really important because Teravainen/Aho/Zykov can be a truly dynamic scoring line. That may have been true two months ago, it is certainly true now.

The hope is that Wallmark, Foegele, Saarela will develop the confidence to match their skill level. Next year Kuokkanen and Roy may join that group. At that point the Canes will have options they haven't had for a decade.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Maybe you can argue the overripe thing for January. I still think that's a bit of a stretch, but sure. But just as recently as March 1, we were two points out, but consistently playing scrubs that were not helping the cause. Did he really need those 3 weeks as our season crumbled into the abyss?

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I will never root for this team to lose. Winning begets winning, losing begets losing.

I don't agree. They always close out the season winning pointless games. Winning pointless games begets a false sense of confidence going into the next season, and a team that is only capable of winning when there is nothing on the line.

I want this team to finish the year with an utterly humiliating string of losses that ensures the coach is fired, Darling is jettisoned, and the new GM takes a more serious approach to changing the very culture of the team from the ground up.

I want every player to feel awful after the last game and have a "coming to Jesus" with themselves when they look in the mirror. I don't want them to finish strong so they can chalk up their lack of success to bad luck or whatnot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad