Wait, so we can't sign free agents until the deal is ratified, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I wonder how many signings we'll see right away. There won't be much time until the season starts so I could see some signings on the first day or two. I bet a lot of teams are already negotiating.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Im sure we will see some, hopefully some minor trades also.

IE The Lightning and Coyoties made two AHL trades this year and there were some speculation that the trades would become full NHL trades once the lockout was over.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I think there will also be a period of about 2 weeks where no one other than 2003 draftees can be signed so that the GMs and agents can go over the 600 page CBA.

cjbhab*

Even though they can't sign players. you would think there is negotiating going on. Am I right?

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Technically they cant, but I would be shocked if half the big UFA's werent signed before the ink was dry. The players and their agents have been negotiating and talking to the owners, feeling out the new CBA and trying to figure out how much the deal effects their bottom line.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
And legally the lockout is still in place.

The league won't lift it until the deal is ratified.

It would actually be a violation of labor law for the employer (the teams) to have direct contact with an employee (the players) concerning employment (a free agent offer) while the employee is a member of a union which is still technically locked out.

We're running out of chances to play labor law geeks here.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Isn't the deadline for Ovechkin to come over here July 20th (based on his contract)? Looks like the Caps may be out of luck.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
kdb209 said:

It would actually be a violation of labor law for the employer (the teams) to have direct contact with an employee (the players) concerning employment (a free agent offer) while the employee is a member of a union which is still technically locked out.

Oh yeah... I have a feeling that the lockout's end will kill the Biz board.

it was nice seeing you guys

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
kdb209 said:

But nothing stops the "bump into" ploy in the supermarket and something accidentally slipping out. Or a player casually talking to a friend of an exec with a team who happens to talk loudly in their office as the GM walks by.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
futurcorerock said:

*puts pin back in grenade*

'Night Ralph.

penopekoo

Jul 1, 2003
Montreal
www.indieville.com
futurcorerock said:

With the upcoming implementation of this complicated new salary cap (and general CBA), I think there will be lots of talk here in the future. As well, we're going to be analyzing the success of this new CBA for years to come methinks...

felixno44

Jul 5, 2005
surrey, bc
cjbhab said:
Even though they can't sign players. you would think there is negotiating going on. Am I right?

i think i´ve read somewhere that teams and players (FAs) are not allowed to negotiate until this thing is ratified. i think the gms are using this week to go over the new cba so there will be signings right away. or do you think they don´t have any insight on the paper before it´s ratified ?? :dunno:

Last edited:

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Realm said:
I am guessing Monday Aug 1st FA season will begin.

Good guess. That's the targeted date for the unrestricted free-agent frenzy and full effects of the new CBA to be in place. Ratification on Thursday July 21st, transition stuff between the 21st and the draft on July 30th, transition stuff being the buyout bonanza and signing 03 draftees. They'll likely rest up on July 31st and then, WHAMMO :eek: , as Pierre would say, let the (negotiating) games begin. At least that's the plan. These things are sometimes subject to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->