Wait. Is that infographic about Braden Holtby really true?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Goalies move around a lot. Halak is 5th for the Blues and Brent Johnson is 6th. Elliott will be climbing quickly and will be 3rd/4th by the time he's done.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
1. Olaf Kolzig 301
2. Don Beaupre 128
3. Al Jensen 94
4. Braden Holtby 74
5. Pete Peeters 70
Jim Carey 70

Our top 5. Its not that crazy when you actually look at it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The tough thing for the Caps is, with a lot of those early expansion teams, the o6 was so established that a lot of them really didn't win a lot of games for a really long time. Very hard for goalies to build up wins on a young franchise.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Not the oldest franchise, only one goalie piling up wins per team per season. Goalie franchise win records are surprisingly easy to get ranked pretty high on.

HOLDITHERE*

We've had one long-term reliable goalie in history, this shouldn't really be shocking. And the guy has won quite a bit.

Now commence the usual Caps fan telling everyone how awful he is.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
http://www.nhl.com/ice/careerstats....me=careerLeadersForTeamGoalies&sort=wins&pg=1

Quite interesting stats. Lundqvist and Fleury both have good chances of being the 2nd in career wins for a single franchise in the end of their careers, behind absolutely ridiculous Brodeur who has 270 more wins than the 2nd (Esposito for Chicago) and almost 2 times more than the 3rd (Sawchuk for Detroit). Detroit has 2 goalies, Sawchuk and Osgood, in the top 5 for wins for a single franchise at the moment.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Craig Anderson is 2nd all time for the Senators apparently.

I like these threads. Make me do research and things and learn

I knew Lalime would be #1. Didn't realize Anderson already would be #2. But then I guess Gerber never really won all that many for us :laugh:

Lalime 146
Anderson 89
Tugnutt 72
Emergy 71
Rhodes 65

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Carey Price is already 5th for Montreal, he'll be in 4th before the end of year and unless something huge happens he'll be #1 in a few years

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's not really all that surprising. The "younger" franchises like Washington had prolonged periods of awfulness, thus guys didn't have a chance to build up wins.

You see that a lot on the coaches totals too. For example, Claude Noel was second on the Blue Jackets win totals for a coach despite only coaching like a season and a half.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/hulkhogansheroes/nhl-top-10-winningest-goaltenders-per-franchise

OT; try this if you wanna test your brain.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Not to mention that Braden Holtby (despite his underrated status on these boards) is actually an above average goaltender who would probably be an elite goaltender at this point had Adam Oates not completely messed with his game and head last season.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Carey Price is already 5th for Montreal, he'll be in 4th before the end of year and unless something huge happens he'll be #1 in a few years

That's bound to happen -- less and less tandems (compared to the 70ies).
I mean, the 7th on the all-time list was a backup (Bunny Larocque).

Also, the percentage of wins is higher than it ever was, due to lack of ties.

Take 62-63. The Habs finished 3rd in the league (6 teams), with a .564 record.

They only won 28 games out of 70.

Back to Price -- if the Habs play anything close to the level they should play, and Price doesn't suffer a serious injury (as is, missing a half-season or more) he'll pass Jacques Plante somewhere before 2018-19.

Burakovsky95*

Just gonna leave this here

Adam Vingan ‏@AdamVingan 7 minutes ago
Braden Holtby in December: 7-1-2, 1.97 GAA, .933 SV%. #Caps

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The tough thing for the Caps is, with a lot of those early expansion teams, the o6 was so established that a lot of them really didn't win a lot of games for a really long time. Very hard for goalies to build up wins on a young franchise.

For the bulk of those young teams it was also a revolving door for goalies. Jean-Sebastian Aubin is 5th in wins for the Penguins with 63 :laugh:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
For the bulk of those young teams it was also a revolving door for goalies. Jean-Sebastian Aubin is 5th in wins for the Penguins with 63 :laugh:

The Ducks are a bit fun for this. We've actually only had 3 starting goalkeepers in the team's entire history. Hebert from the expansion draft, who was replaced by Giguere, who was replaced by Hiller. There were no gaps between them.

Just by being a goalkeeper for the Ducks you'll be in the top 5 in wins as there just isn't anyone else xD. In fact Andersen, who's not even played a full season as starter is already 4th in wins for the team with 38 (from 56 games)!

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Playing 82 games as opposed to 40 makes getting on the all-time wins list easy.

Plus modern goalies now have the shootout replacing the tie. Go look at goalies from the 80s and 90s and add half of their ties to the win column and see where it puts them.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I was shocked to learn the other day that Carey Price tied Ken Dryden for the most games played as a Habs at #3.

Only approx 120 more games and he'll be #1 above Roy (2) and Plante (1). I find it incredible knowing his career has only just started and it's the longest franchise around.

<3 Carey

His Beardliness*

Kolzig was there for pretty much halv of the franchises existance. They have had a load of goalies since him and most of then sucked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad