Waffle Cup talk

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Did we have any standout GDT's this year?

I wish I'd managed to get the one I have half done completed in time for game 4 :(

It was another monty python spoof. I'll pull it out again some other time.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Did we have any standout GDT's this year?

I wish I'd managed to get the one I have half done completed in time for game 4 :(

It was another monty python spoof. I'll pull it out again some other time.

I didn't think we had any standouts either, but then I started looking at old GDTs and found this gem. Then I looked through other GDTs and found couple of good ones as well. Hmm. I know I had a little break from hockey-related things back in winter, but... I thought my memory was better. Oh well.

Overall, it was a bit of a disappointing year GDT-wise. Nothing will ever beat the one-man GDT, that we know, but still. Also... I know, I haven't done much myself, but how is it possible that Gopher's cloning vats are going at full steam, yet we have more and more Form 934-Minnesota? Let's step up next year, shall we? And that includes me. I did a grand total of one (1) GDT during the season. Sowwy. :(

But, rant over, here are my nominations:

gphr513 - 26th of November, 2014 - "MS Paint Edition!"

"gphr513 shows the lighter side of himself by taking a rather refreshingly camp approach to his GDT. In real Minnesota fashion, the thread does contain self-mocking humor in spades.

This is where our slide had shown some signs of a tumble, and the nightmare would only end in January, when Dubnyk came to town. With that in mind, I think Wild fans needed a laugh at that point - and gphr delivered.

Due to its originality and lack of visual appeal, I feel this sums up what our little sub-forum is all about. While crude and quite silly, it somehow captures the spirit of this board, and thus is my choice for HF Wild GDT of the year."
Generic User - 20th of December, 2014 - "Fight Club Edition"

"Generic User, best known for his incredible use of a Simpsons .gif in the now-legendary GopherState GDT, gives us his annual bucket of pop-culture references.

Key thing in this thread is the way he captures that dark, almost Film Noir -feel of Fight Club and turns it into a short story of a struggling team.

Now, Generic User is one of our veteran members, and definitely has seen the ups and downs that this team has gone through, so when our sights were on potential draft pick instead of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, he knew something had to be done.

To be honest, I really liked this one, and feel quite bad for not outright nominating it as GDT of the year. Still, I felt that it kinda lost track of itself at some point, and that, I'm afraid, dropped it to #2. I wouldn't be surprised nor disappointed to see it become our nominee for Waffle Cup though, as it is more than worthy."
Sharppi - 24th of February, 2015 - "STREAKING & SWEEPING"

"After scrolling through about 40 or 50 very generic, standard GDTs, I remembered this ultramodern masterpiece.

Now, while previous two show that some are able to find glimmers of light even during darkest of nights, this one captures that single ray and turns it into a sun of joy.

Sharppi, like many other around here, is a Finn. But he may just be the most stereotypically hilarious one around these parts. It is like he is constantly playing a character, but his deadpan delivery and dry humor are the most quintessential parts of his personality. Not afraid to say what he thinks and do what he wants, he brings us one of simply the funniest HF Wild moments of the year - and maybe the most surprising.

From a technical viewpoint, it isn't a very pleasant GDT. No hours in Photoshop were spent, nor does he try to take the reader into a fantasy wonderland with his storytelling. But a genre-savvy viewer might expect something different from the first sentence. Simple, yet effective. Captures the emotions and that faint sense of "we might just pull this off" brilliantly. Not declaring anything, still staying humble, but I'll be damned if he wasn't smiling when writing those words.

Then, the general mumble-jumble season-series pre-game whatever. And boom. There it is. Initially, it was bewildering. Then the realisation set in, and it turned amusing, and from there downright hilarious. Forget outside of the box, Sharppi chose to disintegrate it. Literally. The replies say it all; we just witnessed something magnificent.

No, it is not a pretty GDT, nor did he probably spend much time doing it. It's more of a joke character, but a lethal one. I, for one, can't think of a more suitable opening post for that particular game. It is truly an exceptional use of situational comedy, and as such deserves a mention and a 3rd spot on my list."

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Fight Club edition is our representative GDT for the Waffle Cup. Gotta be that one.

Of course I'm still bitter that none of my awesome GDT's from the one year I did awesome GDT's made it to a waffle cup because they did the first one mid-season that year and then the next one was a year and a half later and only included GDT's from that year, conveniently leaving a gap where my GDT's were that never had a waffle cup associated with it.

So, fight club it is.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
That Fight Club GDT is awesome and I love it. Definitely my favourite.

I also laugh every time I see that my own GDT and that extremely stupid lines joke representation.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Thanks for the nom. Curious to see who is going to lose to slocal from the San Jose board in the finals this year.
Slocal does great photoshop work, but his GDT's feel pretty traditional these days... I actually voted for the Ducks over San Jose's because of the creativity and humor instead. I'd also vote for your Fight Club thread over theirs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad