Waffle Cup Revival- (GDT awards) HF Jackets Help Requested

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone,

As the Title states, I’m resurrecting the Waffle Cup project, recognizing the great work people do here on Game Day Threads (GDT’s).

My original plan was to present a number of options on the Main Board and then get the options whittled down through polling. For more information, please check:WAFFLE CUP 2021

However, 3 things I did not anticipate have arisen:
  1. I seriously underestimated the sheer amount of excellent GDT’s prepared this past Season from a number of Team Boards.
  2. I didn’t consider how difficult it would be to choose between the same members work on multiple GDT’s. I’m not sure how many contributions for each Member to have submitted/nominated. Suggestions in this regard would be welcome.
  3. Polling couldn’t start until #’s 1 & 2 were figured out.

So, I’ve revised my plan and am asking for nominations and GDT’s from each Team Board.

Please Post your nominations for the Waffle Cup below. I will be creating a Thread in the Lounge so that Polls can be held.

Just to review from the Main Board Thread,

I honestly don’t know how the original competition was laid out, but my thought is to have a few distinct categories:
  1. TV/Movie Based Theme
  2. Animation/Comic Strip
  3. Information Provided
  4. Open (not included in the above)
Thank you in advance for your help with this project. I expect a few bumps along the way, but what I learn this year will help me with a full 2021-2022 Season:).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe historically there were some folks (Vix) who did up the kind of GDT that would make sense for his competition but, especially this last season, during which the team stunk and interest waned, I don’t even know if we have a nominee.

Anyone?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Upon reviewing your GDT’s, I think this one is worthy of nominating for the ’OPEN’Category. It may not win, but I think others will enjoy & appreciate it. That’s one of the main reasons I took on this Project.

@CBJWerenski8 Game 56 May 8th Jackets vs Red Wings

E01JROtWQAAN3OK

The Jackets take a stranglehold in the tank bowl by "winning" the first game. If the game goes to Overtime, the Jackets will be tank bowl champions.

The Jackets will look to repeat success of last night by starting Kivlenieks again.

But in all seriousness for a second, the Jackets will close out the miserable 2021 season tonight against Detroit. The Jackets have 46 points, with a max amount of 48, but with a dreadful 12 regulation/OT wins only ahead of Buffalo. This season is an unquestioned failure and very significant step back in the organization. Every move we made last offseason backfired, Wennberg (bought out) went on to have a successful year in Florida and largely returned to form, Anderson has had a successful first year in Montreal while Domi has never found his footing here. Something happened in the winter to push PLD away, in addition to Torts throwing gas on the fire. Nyquist was out for the year. Laine never got comfortable and sometimes lacked effort. The roster was blown apart at the deadline seeing captain Nick Foligno traded, and mainstay David Savard moved as well. There was far more negatives with the team than positives in these months and it is showcased in the record.

It wasn't all bad though. Bjorkstrand has shown continued improvement in his career and kept that going this year. Robinson has found a nice niche in the bottom 6 and has become an important player. Jack Roslovic came over in the PLD deal and has looked way better than expectations (and he's from Columbus BTW). Elvis has captured hearts and potentially locked down the #1 goalie gig. And uhh yeah thats about it for positives.

This will likely be the final game of the Tortorella era in Columbus. Some will be happy, some will be sad, and some will be mixed. Either way, it was the most successful run in franchise history and I don't think its a stretch to call him the best coach in team history. I wish Torts well and thank him for his service here.

Reflect on the team this year prior to game time if you'd like. I know I will.

It's been a strange year, both on the ice and in the real world. But the Jackets face a lot of hard decisions this summer and the near future of the team hangs in the balance of the decisions that will be made. Thank you all for the debates, discussions, and GDT banter this year. I may agree with you, I may disagree with you, and it might get heated sometimes, but at the end of the day it is always good to be here with all you people to discuss our favorite hockey team. To better days ahead.

———————————————————-

Update: I’ve created a Thread in The Lounge, with more information:

WAFFLE CUP 2021 (January through playoffs)

For those interested, I’m starting to place the Nominations from Team Boards who completed this step.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad