W Michael La Starza - Sioux Falls Stampede, USHL (2022 Draft)

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Really good shot/pass combo. Great release, can see tough passes. His good hockey sense and offensive instincts are excellent. Works hard, but small and average, at best, speed. 2022 draft eligible. Round 2-3 type.

Michael La Starza at eliteprospects.com

Another player I've watched since first year of Bantam. He was always an extremely high skill shoot-first forward. His release and his hands are great. I don't know that his speed will be good enough for his size, he is pretty mature physically as well already for his age. Always liked him, but I don't know how high his upside really is.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Another player I've watched since first year of Bantam. He was always an extremely high skill shoot-first forward. His release and his hands are great. I don't know that his speed will be good enough for his size, he is pretty mature physically as well already for his age. Always liked him, but I don't know how high his upside really is.

How would you compare him to Patrick Guay, who wasn't drafted in the NHL? Guay also dominated the lower ranks, smaller guy with great skills and hockey sense, but average skating

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
How would you compare him to Patrick Guay, who wasn't drafted in the NHL? Guay also dominated the lower ranks, smaller guy with great skills and hockey sense, but average skating

I think when it comes to Guay, he plays smaller than La Starza, + his compete level hasn't been as good as expected. His hockey sense still shines on the power play etc... but to be honest he disappointed a bit so far. I think La Starza has better pro upside, but I think Guay was the better player at 15.

Reactions: NA Scouting

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was traded to Sioux Falls this season. Combined between the two teams had 16+28=44 points in 57 games. My notes from watching his games this season.

La Starza: I think his scoring instincts and hockey sense are really good. He can shoot it and pass it almost equally well. He’s small and an average skater, at best. Compete isn’t bad, but he’s not going to win any Selke’s. He’s similar to a player like Matt Coronato, except all his tools are about a tick or two worse, and he’s a left-shot as opposed to right shot Coronato. Rounds 3-4 is probably around where he should be picked. If he gets picked round 2, I can see why.

Reactions: JohnJim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad