RW Matvei Michkov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2023 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's quite able to beat Kucherov's scoring record for MHL rookies 29+24 in 53 games. And he's 7 months younger, than Kucherov was, and doesn't have the best MHL player ever besides him.

Ah, I'm wrong again, MHL scoring record for rookies belongs to Gusev 17+40 in 48 games, but Gusev was 17.

Crap, that was the 1st MHL season, so they all were rookies.

Here all the best U17 MHL scorers

Elite Prospects - MHL Stats All-time totals

Some good names.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes and JotAlan

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He's going to be a star just because of his shot, and the shot isn't his only weapon.

Skating and hockey IQ will be the key though as there have been many players who can shoot the puck well but ultimately failed. Wouldn't you say Miroshnichenko shoots better though?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Wow. Michkov is the best prospect I've watched in a long time.

He’s a special talent and I like his attacking style, he creates a lot off the half wall and attacks the middle of the ice well with high end stickhandling and offensive instincts. That type of offensive skillset, hockey IQ, and reaction time should translate well as he gets older.

The game seems intuitive to him when you watch the film. His upside is tremendous. A special talent indeed.

Reactions: wetcoast

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
He's quite able to beat Kucherov's scoring record for MHL rookies 29+24 in 53 games. And he's 7 months younger, than Kucherov was, and doesn't have the best MHL player ever besides him.

Ah, I'm wrong again, MHL scoring record for rookies belongs to Gusev 17+40 in 48 games, but Gusev was 17.

Crap, that was the 1st MHL season, so they all were rookies.

Here all the best U17 MHL scorers

Elite Prospects - MHL Stats All-time totals

Some good names.

I talked about it a few posts ago and you kind of doubted it lol. The season is still in the beginning, but it is quite possible that he will surpass Kucherov even without Gusev.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thanks to our Russian brothers keeping us updated after each game. The clips are nice to see.

His exposure to the Canadian/NA hockey world is just starting.

This has been a good thread to follow and will be going forward. Heck of a player.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Skating and hockey IQ will be the key though as there have been many players who can shoot the puck well but ultimately failed. Wouldn't you say Miroshnichenko shoots better though?

There have being terrible skaters in the NHL history, who became stars because of their shots. Michkov's shot is not just tough and precise, but very fast and deceptive as well. He can launch a bomb from a position hardly anybody can.

But as I said, shot isn't his only weapon, and his IQ is probably even better, than his shot. It's especially obvious, when you compare him to his linemates Spiridonov and Khusnutdinov, who are considered pretty good prospects in their own right and way older, than Michkov, but he already looks like a superior player, at least offensively.

Btw the line loooked dominant in the last game, I hope, they start clicking, because they looked more like three good players playing together, than a good line with good chemistry in previous games.

I still doubt Larionov will invite him to the WJC team, though, because he isn't ready to compete vs world's top U20 players yet. Mostly physically, he needs to get some muscles.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
At least last season Michkov had serious issues with sharing the puck and he was doing everything himself and rarely using his linemates properly at all. It's nice if he's managed to address that to start MHL.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
At least last season Michkov had serious issues with sharing the puck and he was doing everything himself and rarely using his linemates properly at all. It's nice if he's managed to address that to start MHL.

He undersstands the game perfectly. If he used to do everything by himself, it's because it was the best way to do it.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
It's obviously still early, but Michkov and Bedard (first player in WHL history to be granted exceptional status) battling it out for 1st overall in 2023 will be a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hoquei

May 24, 2018
Brazil
I wonder what Michkov's future will be if he has another season with higher numbers than Kucherov got in the MHL. Another year evolving at MHL? Or maybe SKA puts him on the VHL or even tries to fit him on the KHL team roster (More Unlikely)? SKA is a very powerful and rich team, so I believe it would take time to find space for him in the main team.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I wonder what Michkov's future will be if he has another season with higher numbers than Kucherov got in the MHL. Another year evolving at MHL? Or maybe SKA puts him on the VHL or even tries to fit him on the KHL team roster (More Unlikely)? SKA is a very powerful and rich team, so I believe it would take time to find space for him in the main team.
Some says he will get KHL shifts this season. We will see.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Man, the future of hockey is looking great.. with guys like Eichel, McDavid, McKinnon, Matthews with plenty of run way left.. then you have Wright, Savoie, Mironeschenko, Michkov, Bedard, Lafreniere on the horizon.. with some really super talented young goalies like Askarov, Wallstedt, Ellis.

Hopefully all these guys continue to track spectacularly, hockey needs more stars.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Some Russian hockey journalist tweeted it I believe. But Kshahdoo is right, he needs to be 17.

The fact this conversation is even being had about a 15 year old playing in the second best hockey league in the world is pretty remarkable.

I realize he can’t play in the KHL but that’s crazy to think it’s even being floated as an idea, and it doesn’t necessarily seem that crazy because of how talented he is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Some says he will get KHL shifts this season. We will see.

I doubt it. That seems way too early.

He's still only 15 years old.

I think what's more likely is that he plays MHL the whole season this year, considering its only his first year.

Next year, he'll probably play VHL, train with the KHL team at times, appear in some exhibition games in preseason, and maybe he gets into a few KHL games next season.

We have to remember he's playing for SKA. They often have multiple NHL draft picks that aren't even playing regularly for the KHL team.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I doubt it. That seems way too early.

He's still only 15 years old.

I think what's more likely is that he plays MHL the whole season this year, considering its only his first year.

Next year, he'll probably play VHL, train with the KHL team at times, appear in some exhibition games in preseason, and maybe he gets into a few KHL games next season.

We have to remember he's playing for SKA. They often have multiple NHL draft picks that aren't even playing regularly for the KHL team.

Or he could get tired of trying to slowly make his way up the system and come to North America like alot of young Russians tend to do.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Some Russian hockey journalist tweeted it I believe. But Kshahdoo is right, he needs to be 17.
He's not. Koromyslov just made KHL debut as 16 years old.

You have to be 17 by the 31 Dec. of the season you are debuting. So Michkov could play in the KHL as soon as 21-22 KHL season starts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->