RW Justin Côté - Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL (2022 undrafted)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Didn't find a thread, so i decided to make one, this kid is gonna be great!.

Justin Côté

W/C
5 foot 6
148 lbs
Shoots Left

July 11th 2004
16 years old
Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, QC
2022 Draft Eligible

A sniper, with an amazing shot, really small thou, 5 foot 6, thou i am the last one to focus on that
- has been compared to Cole Caufield

Has played in the QBAAA, QMEAA, QMAAA, represented team Canada at the Youth Olympics.
Last 2 seasons, he has scored 70 goals in 61 games, (94 points)

20-21 : in 3 preseason games for the Voltigeurs so far, 3 goals, 3 assists, 6 points
Leads all rookies in goals and points in the preseason.
- so, awesome start for him

His last name is written the exact same way as former NHL d-man Sylvain Côté's
(about 120 goals and about 500 points), both are Quepeqian's,
but don't know are they related or not.

justin cote scouting report - Google Search

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
He is a born goal scorer, and with his size of course the Cole Caufield comparisons will be popular. We need to see how well he can adjust to the Q, but I'm not worried. He slipped pretty far in the draft, which is a mystery to me. He is very gifted offensively.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He is a born goal scorer, and with his size of course the Cole Caufield comparisons will be popular. We need to see how well he can adjust to the Q, but I'm not worried. He slipped pretty far in the draft, which is a mystery to me. He is very gifted offensively.

Indeed, anyone can dominate in the preseason, interesting to see what happens when the real games begin.
But then again, its better to dominate than not.

Very.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
The Caufield comparisons are unjust.

he’s got a great shot but isn’t as fast, as strong nor as powerful. Hands aren’t on the same level, that being said he can sure pick corners and finish.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
The Caufield comparisons are unjust.

he’s got a great shot but isn’t as fast, as strong nor as powerful. Hands aren’t on the same level, that being said he can sure pick corners and finish.

This. Even when separating him who went 21st overall vs Verreault who went 2nd overall in the QMJHL draft, I wouldn't say Coté was less talented, but the gap in skating made a big difference for a player his size.

In Bantam, he scored a lot of goals off the rush by staying very high and using his elite shot off the rush. In Midget, his transition game took a hit because of his skating, however, he's a very good player on the power play with a deadly shot. I think his playmaking may go underrated when looking at his statsline, but he can move the puck really well and is a very smart player.

But, at the end of the day, at 5'6 and average skating, things could be difficult for him. I'm rooting for him though, he's a hard worker and just an incredible goal scorer.

I think Caufield comparisons are okay to a lesser degree... It's just that Caufield is better at the same age... Caufield will struggle translating to the NHL while Coté might face his challenges in junior already, and that wasn't really the case for Cole.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
This. Even when separating him who went 21st overall vs Verreault who went 2nd overall in the QMJHL draft, I wouldn't say Coté was less talented, but the gap in skating made a big difference for a player his size.

In Bantam, he scored a lot of goals off the rush by staying very high and using his elite shot off the rush. In Midget, his transition game took a hit because of his skating, however, he's a very good player on the power play with a deadly shot. I think his playmaking may go underrated when looking at his statsline, but he can move the puck really well and is a very smart player.

But, at the end of the day, at 5'6 and average skating, things could be difficult for him. I'm rooting for him though, he's a hard worker and just an incredible goal scorer.

I think Caufield comparisons are okay to a lesser degree... It's just that Caufield is better at the same age... Caufield will struggle translating to the NHL while Coté might face his challenges in junior already, and that wasn't really the case for Cole.
I agree with you to an extent.

verreault is dynamic, explosive, smart and highly skilled. Yes he’s much faster but he hurts you all over. Cote can be stopped with a stick or a good goalie.

I would make a Caufield comparison with Verreault first because Caufield isn’t on dimensional which is what I believe cote is.

time will tell, I think Cote should have taken the slow road, I don’t see why he doesn’t have Garland type seasons at 18,19,20. I think he’s a long term path to pro.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Just scored his first Q point, it was a lucky one, but he'll take it.

He was taking a shot on goal but was taken down with a hit from behind
his team mate got the loose puck and buried it.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Here is my scouting notes on his performance on October 10th 2020 for anyone interested. I take a closer look at his good and worst moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad