AHL: W-B/S Penguins Thread: Now featuring Emil Larmi, Kasper Bjorkqvist and many more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is he a winger now?

Bellevrie has been the 3C I believe. Currie who came up too has been the 1C.

A lot of these moves will be to get players playing again as well as giving experience (training at least) to guys coming up at the big club. So many might not actually play.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Is he a winger now?

Bellevrie has been the 3C I believe. Currie who came up too has been the 1C.

A lot of these moves will be to get players playing again as well as giving experience (training at least) to guys coming up at the big club. So many might not actually play.

The lineups from the Tweets has him listed as a center. But he's taken a number of shifts at LW.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Starting lineup shows Angello and Gaudreau on the same line. Haven't seen any other lineups listed. Will post if I find it.

Maniscalco still a scratch.

Bears just hit a post on their first shift.

On a broken play Gruden finds Reilly open on the left side. He then tried a cross crease pass that didn't get through. Reilly could've one timed it if Gruden put it in a better spot for him.

Freddy G takes a stick to the face. 4 minute PP coming up.

Turns out my friend is there in attendance.

If Angello were a lefty he would've had a goal on the PP. [I also wonder if he's had any issues with his name being so close to another hockey player's...] Right after that the Bears get a SH breakaway but Lagace shut it down.

On a "nothing" play, Lizotte just sent it to the net and it went in. Was probably deflected by Nastasia (spelling?) or Gruden. Was a PP goal. 1-0 Pens.

Olson takes a penalty. To the PK they go.

Lagace may have just robbed them of a goal? And another? This PK is sucking. Point shot just hit a bunch of bodies on the way to the net. Then went to an open Bear who buried it. 1-1.

There was a mess around the Pens net and the puck was laying a foot in the crease from going in. No clue how it's still 1-1.

Bears take an o-zone penalty. Lee having some issues at the o-zone blueline this game.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Nastasiuk.

Yeah, it's up there in the lineup I posted but I'm not changing it.

Not much happened on that PP.

4 on 4 after Reilly takes a matching roughing. But then Freddy G takes a penalty.

Pens getting really lucky on this PK. A few posts were hit and they were close on a goal on another play. They killed it off.

Gruden took an odd hit but seems to be fine.

Announcer just said "Chase Berger" but I absolutely heard "cheeseburger".

End of the 1st. Still tied at 1. Not too much stood out to me other than Will Reilly. And I mean that in a good way for Reilly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I missed the first minute of the second, but did just come back to see the Bears score on a breakaway. 2-1 Bears. Looks like Robert had a very soft pass back to Reilly and McMichael took it away and scored. Reilly probably could've played that smarter. But Robert could've not had that soft a pass.

Robert just had a good chance but Fucale barely got a part of it to make a save.

Odd decision by Miller to just ice it.

Lee certainly still needs work on the defense/strength side of things.

The second line of Robert-Zohorna-Schilkey had a real good shift. And then drew a penalty.

Lee just found Freddy G for a semi-breakaway on the PP. There was seemingly no room for that pass but Lee made it happen. No goal though. PP ended, no luck. Looks like they could use Currie.

Pens had a delayed call and the Bears score... but wait! The ref blew the whistle. Robbed McMichael of a hat trick. (I didn't actually see this play -- was trying to change my bet for tonight's Pens game)

Not much of note in the second period. Bears still up 2-1.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Missed the first two and a half minutes of the third. Lizotte just took a puck to the head.

Angello and Freddy G just had a decent short handed chance. They killed the penalty.

Second line with yet another good shift.

Reilly way more active in the o-zone than I expected. Pretty decent skater too. On that same shift the Pens draw a penalty. Watching all the WBS games this season, I can see why Reilly is ahead of Lee on the call-up list. Hopefully Maniscalco gets in next game. Lee just goofed on carrying the puck out while on the PP. No harm no foul though.

Drozg showing some glimpses of talent here and there.

Angello with a combination blocked shot and hard hit. Minutes later Angello makes another hard hit.

Second line with another good shift and a number of chances.

Cam Lee was being dogged in the d-zone but his skating and stick handling caused the Bears to take a penalty.

PP looking disjointed right now. Gruden just drove to the net and almost scored. Penalty has been killed.

Shilkey just hit the post... 1:20 left on the clock. Pens pull Lagace. And then McMichael scores with 1:10 left. Hat trick for him. Congrats, I suppose. 3-1, da Bears. Lagace pulled again with 50s left. Bears ice it with 3s left. So that's game.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
WBS lost.

+Second line of Robert-Zohorna-Schilkey
+Reilly

-PK
-the amalgamation of poor plays/decisions by Robert and Reilly that lead to the Bears second goal

=everything else

Lee has cooled off.

Reactions: Al Smith

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They didn’t really prioritize WB/S signings this year, probably for good reason. Usually we’d sign a shitload of two-way deals but we only did a handful.

That plus two of our better prospects (Poulin & Legare) are in the only junior league still playing, OHL and WHL kids are in the A.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Weird to me that they're trying to make Zohorna a C after he's spent most of his career on the wing, but I guess that's par for the course? How's he looking centering that 2nd line?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Next year this team should be really good. ON D Reilly, Lee, Maniscalco and Almiri on D with Poulin, Legare, Bjorkvist, Drozg, at the forward group.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Years of not drafting well/ having picks will do that to you

You get to watch any of the games? If so, thoughts?

Weird to me that they're trying to make Zohorna a C after he's spent most of his career on the wing, but I guess that's par for the course? How's he looking centering that 2nd line?

Well he certainly looks competent. That line really came together when they added Robert to it instead of Joly.

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
You get to watch any of the games? If so, thoughts

I've caught probably 80% of their last game and and eventually going back watching the full games one by one

So far I like Schilkey a lot. I know Vellucci brought him (and Nastasiuk) in after basically being bubble guys when they won the Calder Cup. He's buzzing.. thought it was JS Dea at first (meant that as a compliment in the A)

Yea I thought Lee had his moments like everyone else. When he carries the puck he's pretty zippy for sure. Probably on par with a shiftier Goligoski look. But if he made the mistakes/turnovers he made in the past 2 games say on an AT&T Sports and not AHLTV he would be getting absolutely battered on here and Twitter.. lol. Now Will Reilly impressed me with his skating and makes some smarter plays.

I figured Bellerive would get a 'call up'. Definitely looks improved after covid. Could he be a smaller Kunitz-lite? Pun intended.

Still think Drozg is the next Zlobin.. Hasn't showed me anything that he won't not have his way in the AHL and bolt back to playing with his buddies overseas. Hope he proves me wrong and goes the Kuhnhackl route..

Luke Stevens is a bigger body than his dad.. Height wise. Looks skinny (6'5 207) but can tell he wants to lay some big hits and can skate for his size, just has to learn better angles to get there.

Zohorna can move for his size.. Like fly for 6'6 220.. Doesn't make any sense to me. Don't think he should be in this league long if he can put a stretch together

Gruden looks like he always makes the smart play and is good off the wall etc. for a rookie. Reminds me of a less choppy Rust if that makes sense. No one ever though Rust would produce like he did up top, if you watched him in WBS. Don't know what his upside is but I'm sure any coach like a Sully would love him once he's ready for a callup

Let me know anyone else you want me to watch for next few games

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Zohorna can move for his size.. Like fly for 6'6 220.. Doesn't make any sense to me. Don't think he should be in this league long if he can put a stretch together

I feel like I'm on Zohorna patrol here, but I watched a lot of him on Mladá Boleslav and Kometa Brno, so I guess I'm our man in Europe on him. Dude can absolutely motor for a big dude, the knock on for him in terms of translating his game to NA has been that he needs that extra half second on Czech ice to make things work, and he's not really a playmaker, per se. I think that even if the offense doesn't really click in the AHL, though, you could find a good spot for him on the bottom 6 as a utility guy who can play center/wing.

How's he looked in terms of physicality? That was one of his specialties in Brno-- he called himself "Erat's Bodyguard" for a bit.

Reactions: steelcityassault

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like I'm on Zohorna patrol here, but I watched a lot of him on Mladá Boleslav and Kometa Brno, so I guess I'm our man in Europe on him. Dude can absolutely motor for a big dude, the knock on for him in terms of translating his game to NA has been that he needs that extra half second on Czech ice to make things work, and he's not really a playmaker, per se. I think that even if the offense doesn't really click in the AHL, though, you could find a good spot for him on the bottom 6 as a utility guy who can play center/wing.

How's he looked in terms of physicality? That was one of his specialties in Brno-- he called himself "Erat's Bodyguard" for a bit.
I want Zohorna to get called up. A beast that size shouldn't be able to move the way he does, the possibilities make me zohorna.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I had really high hopes for him being a middle 6 forward some day before the burns. Glad to see he is starting to get his game back and maybe has a shot at the NHL some day. I was ready to write him off after his previous couple years.

I believe we had him pretty high in our prospects ratings after his huge year in juniors. I would like to think he still has more upside than Wilson or Archibald, but I don't watch WBS enough to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad