AHL: W-B/S Penguins Thread: Now featuring Emil Larmi, Kasper Bjorkqvist and many more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
4-1 Victory over Springfield.
Agg's 2 goals, DiPauli 1 and Noesen with the EN'er.
P-O suited up too.

How they lined up:

EKA6CLaXsAAIV5X

6 in a row right?

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Checked in on the game with the Checkers. Baby Pens have 8 shots after 2 periods, with only 2/8 coming from forwards. Tokarski stopped 22/22 so far.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Oula Palve only has recorded four points in nineteen games. Can anyone elaborate whether he has been playing fine regardless of his low production? If not, it would not be a surprise if he and the management agree to terminate his contract. Create some room to sign Noesen to an NHL-contract, dude has been a trooper. He has Rick Tocchet type numbers.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't get how we haven't given Noesen a 2-way contract yet. The guy has 13 goals in 19 games, is at a ppg, we're in a drastic need for scoring with injuries and could use a guy that has a nose for the net and literally anyone that lets us not play ZAR.

Watch Noesen get scooped up by another team that is willing to give him a chance.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I don't get how we haven't given Noesen a 2-way contract yet. The guy has 13 goals in 19 games, is at a ppg, we're in a drastic need for scoring with injuries and could use a guy that has a nose for the net and literally anyone that lets us not play ZAR.

Watch Noesen get scooped up by another team that is willing to give him a chance.

If we sign him to a 2-way contract, we'd have to put him on waivers to send him back to WBS. So that's one reason not to give him an NHL-contract. With healthy lineup in Pittsburgh at some point hopefully, it'd be tough to then find room for Noesen in the 23 men lineup, so they'd have to put him on waivers to move back to WBS.

I'm not totally sure what the rule regarding AHL-deals is but to my understanding there is a rule/gentlemen agremeent not to poach away players from other organisations who are on AHL-contracts. So I don't think there's any risk of a mid-season move to another NHL-team on an NHL-contract.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If we sign him to a 2-way contract, we'd have to put him on waivers to send him back to WBS. So that's one reason not to give him an NHL-contract. With healthy lineup in Pittsburgh at some point hopefully, it'd be tough to then find room for Noesen in the 23 men lineup, so they'd have to put him on waivers to move back to WBS.

I'm not totally sure what the rule regarding AHL-deals is but to my understanding there is a rule/gentlemen agremeent not to poach away players from other organisations who are on AHL-contracts. So I don't think there's any risk of a mid-season move to another NHL-team on an NHL-contract.

We are at 48 contracts as well. I have hopes for him but the offensive starved Devils didn't resign him and he got released from the Dallas PTO (I believe)...so I mean, there's grounds to suggest he may be better off waiting in WBS for a little while, especially when we have guys that can come up and down like Lafferty and Adam Johnson.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Can we sign him now? is there no waiting time after they sign an AHL contract to sign an NHL contract? I know if you sign a guy to a 1 year NHL contract you can't resign him until Jan, is it different because it's AHL contract vs NHL contract? Also i'd send Laff back down and call up Noesen if we can get him on a 2 way NHL deal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Can we sign him now? is there no waiting time after they sign an AHL contract to sign an NHL contract? I know if you sign a guy to a 1 year NHL contract you can't resign him until Jan, is it different because it's AHL contract vs NHL contract? Also i'd send Laff back down and call up Noesen if we can get him on a 2 way NHL deal.

Pretty sure there's not.

I'm also suspicious of the idea Noesen would be this great difference maker if he came up and not Lafferty but different at best and Garrett Wilson/Rowney at worst.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pretty sure there's not.

I'm also suspicious of the idea Noesen would be this great difference maker if he came up and not Lafferty but different at best and Garrett Wilson/Rowney at worst.
It's not even that, he's scored 13 goals for the Devils the season before last, he has decent hands and seemed to be a guy that was starting to build up some momentum in a bottom 6 production role.

That's all anyone wants out of him. He could probably replace ZAR and actually produce in that capacity.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Pretty sure there's not.

At 159 nhl games, it’s known what he can do and can’t do. Issue is he can’t play against the Pens, against whom he had 3 goals and 3 assists in 6 games versus 39 points in the other 153 games agst the rest of the league.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's not even that, he's scored 13 goals for the Devils the season before last, he has decent hands and seemed to be a guy that was starting to build up some momentum in a bottom 6 production role.

That's all anyone wants out of him. He could probably replace ZAR and actually produce in that capacity.

Man, imagine how much extra production we'd get from moving the guy with a .35 ppg record in the NHL for the guy with a .28 ppg record :sarcasm:

I don't doubt that Noesen would probably be a good bottom 6 guy here. But we have a lot of them. The idea that Noesen's gonna be better than ZAR and Lafferty and Blandisi? I don't know much about him, but the laws of probability say its pretty unlikely.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man, imagine how much extra production we'd get from moving the guy with a .35 ppg record in the NHL for the guy with a .28 ppg record :sarcasm:

I don't doubt that Noesen would probably be a good bottom 6 guy here. But we have a lot of them. The idea that Noesen's gonna be better than ZAR and Lafferty and Blandisi? I don't know much about him, but the laws of probability say its pretty unlikely.

It's not the fact that he possibly could be better, but you've literally listed the only options this team has at the moment. Lafferty is getting call-ups because of his previous stint and how well he played, Blandisi gets called up because of NHL experience. Then it's...well, not much else. It's someone to push or see what they can offer that has some NHL experience as well.

That's all there's to it. There's no notion that dude is going to come up and score 30 goals, it's just a "maybe he could be better than ZAR."

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's not the fact that he possibly could be better, but you've literally listed the only options this team has at the moment. Lafferty is getting call-ups because of his previous stint and how well he played, Blandisi gets called up because of NHL experience. Then it's...well, not much else. It's someone to push or see what they can offer that has some NHL experience as well.

That's all there's to it. There's no notion that dude is going to come up and score 30 goals, it's just a "maybe he could be better than ZAR."

I think I've seen people be a lot more bullish on what Noesen has to offer.

Also, even for a team this injury prone, being 15 deep is enough. I'm happy that Noesen would contend with Blandisi and AJ for 15th/16th if signed, and that if we moved a guy and gave Noesen a contract it wouldn't be a waste of a contract, but that depth level isn't going to be coming up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think I've seen people be a lot more bullish on what Noesen has to offer.

Also, even for a team this injury prone, being 15 deep is enough. I'm happy that Noesen would contend with Blandisi and AJ for 15th/16th if signed, and that if we moved a guy and gave Noesen a contract it wouldn't be a waste of a contract, but that depth level isn't going to be coming up.
I would even just be happy seeing AJ up over ZAR.

I just really hate seeing ZAR in this line-up.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
At 159 nhl games, it’s known what he can do and can’t do. Issue is he can’t play against the Pens, against whom he had 3 goals and 3 assists in 6 games versus 39 points in the other 153 games agst the rest of the league.

Not really.

Brett Connelly first 180 games = 50 points. Was a "bust". Went to Washington in a 4th line role. Then helped them win the cup in 2018 as a role player on 3rd line with Lars Eller. Last Year he had his Only 20g season with 22g 24a.

Hes now on Panthers first line with 11g 7a already at age 27. Well on his way to being a good top 6 player now.

Noesen was 21st overall pick. So its not like he doesnt have the pedigree to make that comparison to Connelly.

Brett Connolly Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I would even just be happy seeing AJ up over ZAR.

I just really hate seeing ZAR in this line-up.

Maybe the coaches only view ZAR through analytics and think he's the best 4th liner in the league. I for one cannot stand watching him play and do not care what the analytics say on him. We could improve with a faster player taking his spot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe the coaches only view ZAR through analytics and think he's the best 4th liner in the league. I for one cannot stand watching him play and do not care what the analytics say on him. We could improve with a faster player taking his spot.
Adam Johnson is just that. When he was up you can see how much he helped with the forecheck and how hard it was for teams to counter him, Tanev and Rust on the team.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Not really.

Brett Connelly first 180 games = 50 points. Was a "bust". Went to Washington in a 4th line role. Then helped them win the cup in 2018 as a role player on 3rd line with Lars Eller. Last Year he had his Only 20g season with 22g 24a.

Hes now on Panthers first line with 11g 7a already at age 27. Well on his way to being a good top 6 player now.

Noesen was 21st overall pick. So its not like he doesnt have the pedigree to make that comparison to Connelly.

Brett Connolly Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Maybe he’s another Connolly/late bloomer. More likely he is what His NHL record shows. He could definitely fit in on L4 with the big club and be fine. I just wouldn’t expect production anywhere close to what he’s generated in WBS.

Reactions: Shady Machine

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Maybe he’s another Connolly/late bloomer. More likely he is what His NHL record shows. He could definitely fit in on L4 with the big club and be fine. I just wouldn’t expect production anywhere close to what he’s generated in WBS.

Def wouldnt be at a PPG in NHL , I'd take .50 ppg. But not just about his numbers, its the possibility of him helping Blueger out. We need to get him going. Not having Tanev has hurt his game.

I dont get why he hasn't been given a contract yet. I can understand them not being in a rush to call him up if he was on a two way deal, but if he keeps this up for WBS some team might take a chance. Not just his totals but how hes scoring. And here's a vid of one of his goals last year with the Devs. Hes been doing alot of that, along with taking it to the net on his own skating thru 3 defenders.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t mind ZAR staying on the team but I think he needs to play less and they need to
light a fire under him somehow. Maybe a healthy scratch here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad