VsX Data

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
This thread is just for sharing VsX data. VsX, and especially the modified Vs2 system (see http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1361409) is a way to compare offense between eras by normalizing to the points of the X'th highest scoring player. I have used data from the Hockey Databank to create two spreadsheets, one for all players and one for defensemen. In each spreadsheet I have calculated Vs1 to Vs10. In the one with all players I have also taken the average for the 2nd to the 18th highest scorer as a benchmark, as that would be the average of the first liners during the O6 era. I have then taken the average of the 7th highest scoring seasons for each player. The spreadsheets can be viewed here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...jUZshkNveaZqbW0qMRsFA8EME/edit#gid=1758302448

The data is sorted on Vs2. I only show the 200 highest scorers. I have only used post-consolidation data (1926/27 up unitl 2013/14). Only players with at least 7 NHL seasons are included.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Is it easy for you to calculate the number of players who meet certain benchmarks (for example, 100, 90, 80, 70, etc) in each year (or maybe every 5 years) using each method? To me, that's the only way to really see whether each method accurately tracks what we already know about the talent pool, or whether it is overly affected by externals (such as league size).

I'm also thinking that given the lack of responses, this might be better moved to the history board for now?

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
Is it easy for you to calculate the number of players who meet certain benchmarks (for example, 100, 90, 80, 70, etc) in each year (or maybe every 5 years) using each method? To me, that's the only way to really see whether each method accurately tracks what we already know about the talent pool, or whether it is overly affected by externals (such as league size).

I'm also thinking that given the lack of responses, this might be better moved to the history board for now?

That's a good point, I'll do it. And feel free to move the thread where you think it's best suited.

matnor

Oct 3, 2009
Boston
Attached are some graphs that show how many players any given year are within a given percent of the VsX threshold. I look at Vs2 Vs5 and Vs10 and see how many players are within 70, 80 and 90 percent of the threshold respectively. The graphs are smoothed over years to remove some of the noise.

10ndseq.jpg

5miiie.jpg

1r28f7.jpg

Looking at number of players within 90 percent it looks pretty stable over time with a small increase for Vs5 and Vs10. For 80 percent the difference is larger where especially Vs10 shows the immediate impact of the 1967 expansion. For 70 percent the trend is clearly upward trending over time as one would expect because there are much more players getting first line minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad