vrasko: avocado or bagel?

vrasko: avocado or bagel?

• Total voters

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Definitely a submariner. I collect watches, I would have spotted it across the room.

Yup.....mine is steak....I'll splurge at just about any store for a good cut of sirloin.

Yup.

Restaurants.

Mine will sound a bit snobby but not meant to be. it’s Art. My Wife and I decided years ago that rather than buy each other gifts for Christmas, birthdays, anniversary’s, etc..., we’d purchase a piece of art together instead. Depending on how expensive it was, would dictate how many holidays it would cover. We’d alternate who gets to choose. We’ve been doing this for 20 years.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I invest in my retirement. I am putting my three kids through college.

That's my retirement plan....be a burden on my children.

Mine will sound a bit snobby but not meant to be. it’s Art. My Wife and I decided years ago that rather than buy each other gifts for Christmas, birthdays, anniversary’s, etc..., we’d purchase a piece of art together instead. Depending on how expensive it was, would dictate how many holidays it would cover. We’d alternate who gets to choose. We’ve been doing this for 20 years.

Must be a nice collection....and I mean that sincerely. For years a previous wife and I did something similar. We both now have several pieces of nice art. Not sure how valuable it is and don't really care. I was told, way back when, that when buying art, you buy what you like, value be damned. Maybe someday it will be worth something, but you'll have nice shit hanging on your walls that you actually like.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Must be a nice collection....and I mean that sincerely. For years a previous wife and I did something similar. We both now have several pieces of nice art. Not sure how valuable it is and don't really care. I was told, way back when, that when buying art, you buy what you like, value be damned. Maybe someday it will be worth something, but you'll have nice **** hanging on your walls that you actually like.

Yeah, I think the first piece we bought was in 1998, so it’s been going on for 20 years. Don’t care if they appreciate in value (although I know some have) , just what we like.

What styles do you prefer? Are there some local artists you like? Around here, modern and abstract art seem to be more popular, but I’m not a huge fan of most of that. Impressionist and more traditional style is more to our liking.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, I think the first piece we bought was in 1998, so it’s been going on for 20 years. Don’t care if they appreciate in value (although I know some have) , just what we like.

What styles do you prefer? Are there some local artists you like? Around here, modern and abstract art seem to be more popular, but I’m not a huge fan of most of that. Impressionist and more traditional style is more to our liking.
I'm pretty eclectic, but also lean more toward the impressionist/expressionist model. I just like what I like....spent some time going out to Santa Fe/Taos area (3 or 4 times) and fell into a Southwestern thing for a bit, but most of that ended up w/the ex-wife.

Got a couple of Kyle Highsmith paintings and there's a guy named Jimmy Craig Womble I like a lot. Other than that it's pretty much a mix and match. My current wife is pretty big into the Durham arts scene (she owns a studio and an arts supplies store), so we have a few abstract pieces reflecting that.

All in all, its as you said, you buy what you like and it, hopefully, makes your surroundings feel nicer/prettier/more comfortable.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm pretty eclectic, but also lean more toward the impressionist/expressionist model. I just like what I like....spent some time going out to Santa Fe/Taos area (3 or 4 times) and fell into a Southwestern thing for a bit, but most of that ended up w/the ex-wife.

Got a couple of Kyle Highsmith paintings and there's a guy named Jimmy Craig Womble I like a lot. Other than that it's pretty much a mix and match. My current wife is pretty big into the Durham arts scene (she owns a studio and an arts supplies store), so we have a few abstract pieces reflecting that.

All in all, its as you said, you buy what you like and it, hopefully, makes your surroundings feel nicer/prettier/more comfortable.

Cool. We also have art from all over the place and it's fun to see the different styles based on geography. I've seen Kyle's stuff before around Raleigh and what not but haven't seen Jimmy Craig Womble's stuff.

As far as NC Artists. JJ Jiang (Cary) is an artist we like a lot. He does more watercolors, but I really enjoy his oil paintings and he's doing more work in oil right now. I was never a big watercolor fan, but some of his are impressive. Dan Beck (Wilmington) is very much an impressionist artist and another guy I like a lot. There are others, but those are a couple off the top of my head.

I think you said you are from Chapel Hill? Do you know an artist named David Stickel? We don't own any of his work, but I've met him a few times and his watercolors look like photographs. They are impressive.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Cool. We also have art from all over the place and it's fun to see the different styles based on geography. I've seen Kyle's stuff before around Raleigh and what not but haven't seen Jimmy Craig Womble's stuff.

As far as NC Artists. JJ Jiang (Cary) is an artist we like a lot. He does more watercolors, but I really enjoy his oil paintings and he's doing more work in oil right now. I was never a big watercolor fan, but some of his are impressive. Dan Beck (Wilmington) is very much an impressionist artist and another guy I like a lot. There are others, but those are a couple off the top of my head.

I think you said you are from Chapel Hill? Do you know an artist named David Stickel? We don't own any of his work, but I've met him a few times and his watercolors look like photographs. They are impressive.
I don't know Jiang's or Stickel's work, but I have seen some of Dan Beck's and I like his stuff. I also like some funky stuff like Craig Gurganus's sculptures....he makes them from broken or damaged surfboards. He used to have a studio in Beaufort.

I'll have to check out Jiang's and Stickel's stuff. The pics I saw on the interwebs looked interesting.

BabchukCanon

Jan 18, 2011
Apex, NC
I think all players should be gifted/buy this: OXO Good Grips 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer, Green OXO Good Grips 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer, Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088LR592/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_a2WOBbM1Z9YWA

This wonderful knife I can’t cut myself on avocados. I have had it since 2011 and eat avocados at least twice a week. It’s simple and easy and you can’t cut yourself unless you’re a total idiot. Seeing what people do with avocados scares me when this knife is so simple.

Then we can introduce a new series called cooking with Rasky or something where he shows us skills at intermission. I think we’d have an Emmy winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->