Proposal: Voynov's rights to Florida

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
After reading Katie Strang’s article on the Athletic today no thanks on Voynov. Need a subscription to get to this one

What NHL teams considering signing Slava Voynov should know

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/legal-look-disturbing-details-emerge-of-voynov-s-assault-on-wife-1.160584

Here are some of the more disturbing allegations raised in Court today
- Redondo Beach police officer: Voynov's wife had laceration over left eye, blood streaming, red marks on neck.
- Officer says Voynov's wife said he struck her in the face with his fist.
- Officer: Voynov pushed wife to ground multiple times, kicked her repeatedly while on ground, chocked her three times.
- Officer: Voynov pushed her into flat-screen TV where she cut her face.
- Officer: Voynov's wife required eight stitches to close wound above left eye.
- Officer: "There's bruising, red marks, scratches on the victim's neck."
- At Voynov's home, the officer noted blood all over bedroom, including covering comforter and a bloody handprint on floor.
- Lead prosecutor Frank Dunnick: "there's evidence to suggest prior domestic violence" involving Voynov.

As far as I understand, these things never were confirmed in court? Police and prosecutors exist to accuse and courts exist to reveal the truth behind those accusation. If the case was so obvious, I bet, they'd have prefered to get him to a jail, but instead, they changed felony to misdemeanor, which means, they undesrtood, the case wasn't that clear.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I’m not going to debate which crimes are better or worse than others but off the top of my head I know the following have been convicted of serious crimes (several that spent much more time in prison) and continued to play their respective sports:

Ray Lewis
Mike Tyson
Greg Hardy
Brittney Griner
Alexander Gustafson
Sean Smith
JR Smith
Danny Heatley
Leonard Little
Michael Vick

Point is all these people are varying POS’s but according to the law they served their punishment and were free to pursue a living afterwards and teams were willing to let them.

In my opinion if the US let’s him back in the country, the NHL investigates and reinstates him (with or without an accompanying punishment) and a team is willing to sign him (and accept the accompanying PR heat) then so be it. I, nor anyone else needs to cheer him but do have to accept that he’s not the only one who continued to play pro sports in North America after a brush with the law.

And I wouldn’t want any of those players on any of my teams.

Personally I don’t judge what is morally right off its legality.

Even if the US decided he can play , or the NHL decides he can play it doesn’t mean he SHOULD play.

I just find the OP to be everbjbg wrong with how people view domestic violence. Enableint bad peoples because he is “tired of his team losing” is just such out of whack priorities.

But to each their own.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
As far as I understand, these things never were confirmed in court? Police and prosecutors exist to accuse and courts exist to reveal the truth behind those accusation. If the case was so obvious, I bet, they'd have prefered to get him to a jail, but instead, they changed felony to misdemeanor, which means, they undesrtood, the case wasn't that clear.

It also didn’t help his wife wouldn’t testify. Which happens a lot in these cases where people are in abusive relationships. You can probably bet that if she was up on the stand he’d have gotten a lot more in the way of punishment.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
It also didn’t help his wife wouldn’t testify. Which happens a lot in these cases where people are in abusive relationships. You can probably bet that if she was up on the stand he’d have gotten a lot more in the way of punishment.

Eh, think about her options.

Option A: she testifies against him. He divorces her and she loses all the pro athlete salary and then they both get deported back to Russia. Now shes back in Russia w/ no income
Option B: She recants, stays married and has access to all the income, in all likelihood eventually gets to return to the life she had in the USA. Their child gets to stay with her father and she's probably safe for a while because shes doing what he wants and also now has some leverage.

Gee I wonder why she chose option B? Must be because he's innocent :sarcasm:

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Eh, think about her options.

Option A: she testifies against him. He divorces her and she loses all the pro athlete salary and then they both get deported back to Russia. Now shes back in Russia w/ no income
Option B: She recants, stays married and has access to all the income, in all likelihood eventually gets to return to the life she had in the USA. Their child gets to stay with her father and she's probably safe for a while because shes doing what he wants and also now has some leverage.

Gee I wonder why she chose option B? Must be because he's innocent :sarcasm:

Option C: they worked out their problems he agrees to never do that again and they live their life. You sure pinned her to be a gold digger with no personal values to stand by, Insisting she is only with him to continue a lavish life.

Reactions: Master Yoda

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
And I wouldn’t want any of those players on any of my teams.

Personally I don’t judge what is morally right off its legality.

Even if the US decided he can play , or the NHL decides he can play it doesn’t mean he SHOULD play.

I just find the OP to be everbjbg wrong with how people view domestic violence. Enableint bad peoples because he is “tired of his team losing” is just such out of whack priorities.

But to each their own.

I totally get that people don’t want these types of people on their favourite teams and I’m not saying I’d want him on mine (not a fan of any team with an interest here).

Everyone is going to have a different “morality scale” and all I was trying to say was if he goes through the reinstatement process with the necessary people (government, NHL) then he still has to find a team willing to take him and if he does then he should be allowed to earn his living.

The “SHOULD he play” argument is of course valid but what I was trying to say was if the organizations that have a lot more information on the subject than we do say it’s ok (all hypothetical since no one has yet) then who else should deny him?

I agree he’s a pretty big POS but looking at it from a bigger picture POV where would the line be drawn on who can/can’t play? Anyone with a criminal conviction? Tax evasion?Only felonies? Only violent crimes? Any statute of limitations? It’s a slippery slope that I certainly don’t have the answers to.

EDIT: I know this can be a personal and touchy subject for people and know over text that tone can sometimes be lost, just want to say I’m not saying any of this in an intentionally dickish or condescending manner, only trying to have a legitimate discussion.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Option C: they worked out their problems he agrees to never do that again and they live their life. You sure pinned her to be a gold digger with no personal values to stand by, Insisting she is only with him to continue a lavish life.

Nobody is saying she is a gold digger. Many abused women have self esteem issues and when they think there is no way they can survive without their abuser they stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad