Proposal: Voynov's rights to Florida

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
No thanks to Voynov

Also I don't see Voynov on the King's reserve list on capfriendly

There was a recent article saying Voynov filed retirement papers to leave the Kings and head to the KHL--I don't recall any report back when Voynov left that retirement was involved and wondered how exactly LA retained rights after terminating the contract.

If the retirement aspect is correct then it would be completely correct that Voynov is not on the King's Reserve List. LA would hold retirement rights to Voynov, and has the ability to add him back onto their Reserve List. I don't think LA could trade Voynov's rights without first taking the move to add him back onto the Reserve List. Similar situation to Kovalchuk other then Kovy reaching age 35 and escaping the retirement rules to become a UFA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dabeast

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Let’s do it this way. Did he beat a woman?
Let's do it this way SJW, did MacTavish kill someone while drunk driving?

If the NHL can forgive that, they can forgive Voynov after an appropriate investigation of their own. It must be awesome to be able to be so sanctimonious.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Let's do it this way SJW, did MacTavish kill someone while drunk driving?

If the NHL can forgive that, they can forgive Voynov after an appropriate investigation of their own. It must be awesome to be able to be so sanctimonious.
McTavish did kill someone. Times have changed. You’d be lucky to get one polished piece of shit for Voynov.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
After reading Katie Strang’s article on the Athletic today no thanks on Voynov. Need a subscription to get to this one

What NHL teams considering signing Slava Voynov should know

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/legal-look-disturbing-details-emerge-of-voynov-s-assault-on-wife-1.160584

Here are some of the more disturbing allegations raised in Court today
- Redondo Beach police officer: Voynov's wife had laceration over left eye, blood streaming, red marks on neck.
- Officer says Voynov's wife said he struck her in the face with his fist.
- Officer: Voynov pushed wife to ground multiple times, kicked her repeatedly while on ground, chocked her three times.
- Officer: Voynov pushed her into flat-screen TV where she cut her face.
- Officer: Voynov's wife required eight stitches to close wound above left eye.
- Officer: "There's bruising, red marks, scratches on the victim's neck."
- At Voynov's home, the officer noted blood all over bedroom, including covering comforter and a bloody handprint on floor.
- Lead prosecutor Frank Dunnick: "there's evidence to suggest prior domestic violence" involving Voynov.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Who is worse?

I’m not going to debate which crimes are better or worse than others but off the top of my head I know the following have been convicted of serious crimes (several that spent much more time in prison) and continued to play their respective sports:

Ray Lewis
Mike Tyson
Greg Hardy
Brittney Griner
Alexander Gustafson
Sean Smith
JR Smith
Danny Heatley
Leonard Little
Michael Vick

Point is all these people are varying POS’s but according to the law they served their punishment and were free to pursue a living afterwards and teams were willing to let them.

In my opinion if the US let’s him back in the country, the NHL investigates and reinstates him (with or without an accompanying punishment) and a team is willing to sign him (and accept the accompanying PR heat) then so be it. I, nor anyone else needs to cheer him but do have to accept that he’s not the only one who continued to play pro sports in North America after a brush with the law.

Reactions: KINGS17

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
A team with values should offer a 7th rounder for his rights before he's even reinstated. Should the NHL mess up said team could assign him on loan to Siberia for as long as they own those rights. 4 years away in the KHL since the charges means it'd probably take him to 32ish so less desirable to other teams.

BTW, what did his voluntary departure to Russia do to his impending deportation by US Immigration since he elected to leave rather than go through the process? Do they still have that option as it sounds like he's there on a visiting visa.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
No. Times have changed on forgiving people.

I’m not sure people don’t forgive anymore, I think people are more likely to take accusations seriously but forgiveness is still a viable option, in due time.

Since Ray Rice’s DV incident (2014) people such as Greg Hardy, Johnny Manziel, Adrian Peterson and more have been charged with abuse and were all given opportunities to play again. Doesn’t make them good people but, especially in sports, second chances will be given if people produce. Even outside of sports I don’t think people should be given essential life sentences for mistakes they make (not counting things like murder, rape etc as “mistakes”). Maybe it’s a naive outlook but I do think people can change and if they’ve paid for their crime (whether I agree with their punishment or not) then they should be able to continue living their life.

Last edited:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Most people that go to jail in the US for felonies are not able to get a high-paying high-quality job afterwards due to the fact that they dont pass criminal background checks.

My employer would not hire Voynov.

Voynov is scum. He doesnt belong in an NHL arena let alone an NHL lockeroom.

He didn't go to jail for a felony. Why are you spreading false information?

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
Kings don't want Voynov back:
Los Angeles Kings Not Interested in Voynov, Per Report

Also it will look very bad against LA considering they terminated his contract and force all the players from the Kings to take Domestic Abuse sensitivity training after they let him go. It will be a PR nightmare for them. Also will any of the Kings players want him back on the team?

He's untouchable. Kings should trade his rights for a pick, let someone else deal with him. IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad