VOYNOV update?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
That's where you're wrong. If this was done in a more timely manner he would easily find work in the NHL. the only reason why he might not get signed is because of his age and time away from the NHL.

Respectfully disagree. Unlikely any GM is signing a man who beat a woman that badly, punching her, kicking her when she was down and shoving her face into TV and leaving a bloody mess in the wake. And it wasn't the first time. If he wasn't a top defenseman half this board wouldn't care.
His age and time away won't matter. No GM would take on the kind of public nightmare.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I dunno. Is not beating your wife such a high bar? I've managed to go my whole life without beating my wife or girlfriends.

I’ve gone my whole life without being charged for second-degree vehicular manslaughter....unlike Dany Heatley who never missed a single game in the NHL. Meanwhile, Voynov is likely to miss 500+ games and may never step on NHL ice again.

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
Both are guilty of misdemeanors. We can quibble over the extent but both cases are physical abuse. I don't care if one was a push or the other was a punch. The league hasn't exactly distanced itself from Brett Hull either, a well documented spousal abuser.
Isn't it Bobby Hull that's the well known abuser? Or did stuff come out about Brett too?

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
If we're going to engage in "whataboutism", what about Patrik Bartošák? The poor guy didn't even get a chance to blossom and play in the NHL.

The German Grinder 9

Apr 6, 2019
Wow this call is heavy from the NHL. No second chance next season for VV if he doesn't "fight" in the case he wants back and has nothing to hide in the dark.

And everybody can make a hugh mistake (and beating the wife is gross), but when the individual "pays" for it and shows every sign for becoming a better person without a backslide then it's only human to give a second chance.

LaFan1967

Sep 2, 2007
If the NHL decides that 1 year is the penalty and has already suspended
him for over 3 years then VV has a slam dunk case in arbitration .

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Surprised the NHL went that severe. Not that it isn't warranted, but usually they are pretty fragile when dealing with these things.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I am assuming you are talking Watson. With that though, how do you compare a couple that is arguing and the GF ends up with some red marks on her chest vs a guy who made a bloody mess of his wife. To save on the argument of her lack of proper English skills we wont talk about what she really said, but the evidence of red marks vs blood is totally apples and bananas.

I was talking about several incidents over the years. All of them include people forgiving them in some way, sometimes blaming the victim, sometimes resting on the court's judgment, etc. in order to socially excuse the crime to some degree. Voynov's is unique in that people choose to believe only the worst parts while ignoring the verdict, and thus the 'worst' suspension otherwise got 18 games, while Voynov is getting the equivalent of 410+. Trash.

I don't even want him on this team but to pretend that what Voynov did is literally 25x worse than what Watson did is folly, and Dany Heatley had a fine career after literally killing someone, Bobby Hull is still an ambassador, Patrick Kane is still the marketable lovable kid, etc. I just hate the selective application of justice and the NHL has literally no basis since they have literally no policy.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Wow. Just saw this news in a day filled with crazy news. Pretty harsh suspension. Can't imagine he doesn't win his appeal if he does. Other sports aren't even close to this long with their DV suspensions.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
I was talking about several incidents over the years. All of them include people forgiving them in some way, sometimes blaming the victim, sometimes resting on the court's judgment, etc. in order to socially excuse the crime to some degree. Voynov's is unique in that people choose to believe only the worst parts while ignoring the verdict, and thus the 'worst' suspension otherwise got 18 games, while Voynov is getting the equivalent of 410+. Trash.

I don't even want him on this team but to pretend that what Voynov did is literally 25x worse than what Watson did is folly, and Dany Heatley had a fine career after literally killing someone, Bobby Hull is still an ambassador, Patrick Kane is still the marketable lovable kid, etc. I just hate the selective application of justice and the NHL has literally no basis since they have literally no policy.

How do you compare a car accident in 2004 to an intentional act in 2015 or the lack same punishment in the NHL for those? Kane, or any of those others, i am not championing for them. It’s it no different than Doughty being accused of rape with no consequences is it? Sometimes stuff is gray. I think this is pretty black and white though.

While we can stand and say the conviction was the same with Austin, the only reason is because the DA knew he wouldn’t be able to get Varlamova to testify and the case was dead for the original charges.

He plead and got lucky to be out of a felony. It’s the same system that found OJ innocent. The lack of conviction doesn’t overturn the truth. I guess it’s a matter of who you really believe and can prove. I tend to believe the reports from the scene. I don’t think they were made up. I don’t tend to believe the rich guy with high prices lawyers and hush money who are cleared on technicality’s.

I have no doubt that the NHL has seen all the real evidence we may not be privy to. I am sure he bloodied her, choked her and had also done that before.

Had Voynov stayed done his jail time, faced the music then, then it may be a different story. Instead he plead, headed back to Russia voluntarily to avoid deportation and basically ran. We can act like 410 games is a lot but the guy has never been punished. Hell, he made a shit ton more money in Russia, even played in the Olympics.

Punishing him while he played in the KHL is about as stupid as suspending a starting pitcher for 5 games. And 60 days in the Seal Beach watching TV and playing xbox does not count as jail.

Everything about the way it went down stinks. Playing in the NHL is a privilege and should be treated as so.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How do you compare a car accident in 2004 to an intentional act in 2015 or the lack same punishment in the NHL for those? Kane, or any of those others, i am not championing for them. It’s it no different than Doughty being accused of rape with no consequences is it? Sometimes stuff is gray. I think this is pretty black and white though.

While we can stand and say the conviction was the same with Austin, the only reason is because the DA knew he wouldn’t be able to get Varlamova to testify and the case was dead for the original charges.

He plead and got lucky to be out of a felony. It’s the same system that found OJ innocent. The lack of conviction doesn’t overturn the truth. I guess it’s a matter of who you really believe and can prove. I tend to believe the reports from the scene. I don’t think they were made up. I don’t tend to believe the rich guy with high prices lawyers and hush money who are cleared on technicality’s.

I have no doubt that the NHL has seen all the real evidence we may not be privy to. I am sure he bloodied her, choked her and had also done that before.

Had Voynov stayed done his jail time, faced the music then, then it may be a different story. Instead he plead, headed back to Russia voluntarily to avoid deportation and basically ran. We can act like 410 games is a lot but the guy has never been punished. Hell, he made a **** ton more money in Russia, even played in the Olympics.

Punishing him while he played in the KHL is about as stupid as suspending a starting pitcher for 5 games. And 60 days in the Seal Beach watching TV and playing xbox does not count as jail.

Everything about the way it went down stinks. Playing in the NHL is a privilege and should be treated as so.

You're only illustrating my point. Look at the narrative you had to paint to justify this. Calling the Heatley incident just a 'car accident' is the example of the rest. People pick and choose what they want to believe. And the NHL is not the justice system.

I can agree with you on much of this. My point is that the lengths of opinions people have on Voynov are completely incongruent with the lengths of opinions people have on getting drunk and beating cab drivers, getting drunk and killing your best friend, getting drunk and getting accused of sexual assault, or hell, a roughly similar case in Varlamov that was only dismissed because of court technicalities, Jesus, that headline: https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story...ex-girlfriend-wins-civil-case-judgment-020216 . Look at the lengths people go to to defend the player in each of those cases, believing the courts over people, believing the perpetrator instead of the victim, etc., yet in this case, people ignore Voynov and his wife and the ultimate verdict and believe the testimony of an officer communicating without a translator. And frankly with opinions, whatever--fine. I'm not here to put people's social sense on trial. However I'm glad the PA has stepped in at this point, because it's disgusting to sweep the other stuff under the rug and go HAM here.

Yeah, something stinks, for sure, and I have no doubt the league is privy to a lot of knowledge we don't have. That's fine, bring down the hammer. My issue isn't so much with the Voynov suspension as it is with the lack of all the others. The NHL does its best to vacuum everything else. And they have no DA policy because they want to paint that squeaky clean image. They aren't, though, and putting VV on the chopping block over it only highlights their lack of consistency and application and makes them weak. They have gone out of their way to help Austin Watson and his family, yet completely rake this guy over the coals. I can't get why more people aren't appalled by this. Even if every detail of the case were true, and VV is even more of a despicable human being than many of us think, what sense does it make to try to assist Watson and co rehabilitate life and image while continuing to dumpster Voynov's?

I dunno. I'm trying to not editorialize on this one too much because I'm far over it at this point. But it' disgusts me to see Heatley's actions "just an accident," Bobby Hull's as just a long time ago, Patrick Kane's as just boys being boys, Austin Watson's being a moment of bad judgment, but Slava Voynov's being EXILE FOREVER WHAT A TRASH HUMAN BEING. Selective outrage and application in my view. The NHL not having direct verbage to deal with these things and just randomly throwing out numbers is so callous.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The day just keeps getting worse. So the suspension he got when it first happened wasn't a suspension? Now they drop a 1 year suspension that only took 4 years to happen. I guess the bar is set. Got it. #smfh

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009

Had Voynov stayed done his jail time, faced the music then, then it may be a different story. Instead he plead, headed back to Russia voluntarily to avoid deportation and basically ran. We can act like 410 games is a lot but the guy has never been punished. Hell, he made a **** ton more money in Russia, even played in the Olympics.

He did stay and do his jail time, and then he voluntarily deported rather than be forcefully removed (this was what he was SUPPOSED to do and is why he was eventually allowed to return). He didn't skip out on anything.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
The Heatley thing is an odd case. He committed copious amounts of crimes which led to death. Same thing with Jose Fernandez of the Miami Marlins. He got high and killed 3 people including himself due to his recklessness. They named a city street after him.

The issue is the optics and the pulse of America. Any fortune 500 company will appeal to the optics.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Per Wikipedia,

[Heatley]pleaded guilty to second-degree vehicular homicide, driving too fast for conditions, failure to maintain a lane and speeding. He admitted to drinking prior to the incident, but his blood-alcohol content was below the legal limit.

So it was less about him drunk-driving and more just driving like a not-uncommon idiotic young male driver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->