Kings Video: Voynov Interviews (Anyone speak Russian?)

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Game 1:

Q: What positive moments you can allocate after the first game?
A: Doughty scored very beautiful goal in very important moment. Clifford too. We already were 0:2. We needed this goal. The team was needed to be stirred up. Of course Quick also saved us couple of times.

Q: Actually you scored own goal. How did you feel after that?
A: It did not break me down. Everybody understand that sometimes such things happens. Just unlucky bounce. The problem began on the blue line. I must worked harder in that moment.

Q: What was the key moments of the game?
A: We continued to play our game. I think that Quick saved us couple of times. Great game.

Q: The first game of the final. What is your impressions?
A: It was a hard game. We must be better next time. I think this was my worst game in this play-offs.
Q: You were more tired?
A: No, definitely not. Just something was going wrong. We must find the problem and fixed it.

Game 2:

Q: Rangers known as a very fast team. How do you play against such team?
A: First of all, you need to be quick too. You must choose you position correctly, hit them whenever you can. You can’t skate past them, when you have an opportunity. Rangers reminds me Sharks a bit. So we know what to do.
Q: What do you think about second game?
A: We played better. I think we did more, than in the previous game. But we can’t stop. We must keep working.

Q: How do you feel today?
A: I am happy, that we have won. This was the tough one. We allowed to score too many times again. We need to be better in defence.
Q: After the first game we talked about bad start. But it happened again.
A: We always try not to do many mistakes. Yes, good start is very important. But again we wasn’t able to do this. It means we must work harder.

Thanks Damassk for the translations :)

Last edited:

Ron*

I'm disappointed he isn't getting interviewed by USA media. His English has improved dramatically. His interview would be fine.

It's as if they don't even try. **** the media.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
I'm not so sure it's the media. I think a lot of them would be more than happy to interview the mysterious Slava. He needs to start making himself available for interviews. If it wasn't for his goals on Quick, I honestly would forget he's on the team. We saw almost everyone at Media Day, but not Slava. It's too bad, he seems like an interesting player.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
He's also pretty well-dressed. I'm digging the colorful plaid shirt under the light-grey jacket. It has a little hint of Miami Vice, but without being so tacky.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I'm disappointed he isn't getting interviewed by USA media. His English has improved dramatically. His interview would be fine.

It's as if they don't even try. **** the media.

Greg Wyshynski had an article the other day where he tried to interview Voynov but couldn't get much out of him, mentioning him struggling with English. So I don't know, it might actually be Voynov... Still wouldn't mind seeing him getting at least a couple of interviews every now and then.

"I walk over to Voynov and soon discover that he as about as much a grasp on English as I do quantum mechanics. It's less a conversation than a collection of awkward nods and smiles."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-...semen-are-kings--court-jesters-023212061.html

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
He is saying the last game was his worst game in this year playoffs. He needs to be much better.
Clifford goal was the most critical for Kings to win the game.
Doughty goal was beautiful.

Last edited:

Ron*

He is saying the last game was his worst game in this year playoffs. He needs to be much better.

Thank you very much.

But is that all he said? There were four videos there. EDIT: Just saw they were very short. Sounds like he was short with the Russian media, too. :laugh: Maybe he is just a quiet guy, period.

Thanks for the interpretation. Please stick around and let us know if additional videos get posted. :)

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

Thanks for the translation!

Slava is capable of carrying on a conversation. I think he's probably self-conscious in interviews, but when he opens up a bit, he's actually shyly likeable. Here a 2012 interview. I imagine his English is much better now that there are no other Russians on the team.

Slava is just having an off-year. It happens. Here's a fun memory of Slava Voynov and Justin Williams taking turns playing keepaway during the dying minutes of Game 3 of the 2012 Western Conference Finals. Slava's part starts about 24 seconds in. Remember thse days, when the Kings had to kill time in order to hold a 2-1 lead because goals didn't come easily?

Ron*

Thanks for the translation!

Slava is capable of carrying on a conversation. I think he's probably self-conscious in interviews, but when he opens up a bit, he's actually shyly likeable. Here a 2012 interview. I imagine his English is much better now that there are no other Russians on the team.

Slava is just having an off-year. It happens. Here's a fun memory of Slava Voynov and Justin Williams taking turns playing keepaway during the dying minutes of Game 3 of the 2012 Western Conference Finals. Slava's part starts about 24 seconds in. Remember thse days, when the Kings had to kill time in order to hold a 2-1 lead because goals didn't come easily?

Yes that was an epic defensive play. One many Kings fans still remember, and shows what he is capable of.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Been defending this guy to the point that I need to keep a ****ing Pages document with my responses in it. He's gonna rebound big time next year.

Ron*

Been defending this guy to the point that I need to keep a ****ing Pages document with my responses in it. He's gonna rebound big time next year.

Throughout the season, I have read a lot of Lewis, King, and Voynov bashing; yet, Sutter keeps all three in the lineup.

Gee, I wonder why? Perhaps coach knows better than we do. Ya think?

Defensemen are like offensive lineman in the NFL that get caught for holding. Their mistakes are amplified; their accomplishments, minimized. We all have to be very cognizant of this fact and pay attention to the details of the fine defensive plays they make from time to time that make Quick's job so much easier.

Damassk

Jun 24, 2012
Moscow
twitter.com
First video

A: Doughty scored very beautiful goal in very important moment. Clifford too. We already were 0:2. We needed this goal. The team was needed to be stirred up. Of course Quick also saved us couple of times.

Second video

A: It did not break me down. Everybody understand that sometimes such things happens. Just unlucky bounce. The problem began on the blue line. I must worked harder in that moment.

Third video

A: We continued to play our game. I think that Quick saved us couple of times. Great game.

Fourth video

A: It was a hard game. We must be better next time. I think this was my worst game in this play-offs.
A: No, definitely not. Just something was going wrong. We must find the problem and fixed it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Man now I feel bad for being so critical of Slava after reading his translated interview.

I just hope he cleans up all the errors and bounces back. He had his moments, good and bad, against Chicago. The less we talk about him, the better.

Ron*

First video

Second video

Third video

Fourth video

Thanks for the detail. It is much appreciated. Slava is a very popular player in L.A. I see tons of "26" jerseys at games. Given his first two seasons, we felt he was ready for a breakout season this year. It didn't happen, but I expect him to be very strong next season. He will have had one season under the new contract under his belt and will be more relaxed to perform. I think Slava, like many many players, always perform badly the first season after getting a big contract, pushing themselves to try to match the money and that hardly ever works out well.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
He's had a rough year, but I've never doubted his heart and dedication. Never have I once for any player on the Kings.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Greg Wyshynski had an article the other day where he tried to interview Voynov but couldn't get much out of him, mentioning him struggling with English. So I don't know, it might actually be Voynov... Still wouldn't mind seeing him getting at least a couple of interviews every now and then.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-...semen-are-kings--court-jesters-023212061.html

meh… maybe he's just shy around Greg since he doesn't know him. I think Slava's done a full on interview with the Mayor in English.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I heard Voynov's English (as of earlier this season) is pretty damn good. Maybe he's like me and just ****ing hates the media.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I think Voynov "plays dumb" a little bit with the media. I know some Russians who will do that at work. Nobody will bug them, except the people that know they can speak english. :laugh:

I remember Mitchell joking about that a few years ago. He said something about when Voynov gets on the ice all of sudden his english is perfect! Freakin' Slava... :laugh:

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
[nhl]186178[/nhl]

His english seemed pretty good in his day with a cup video

KingKopitar11*

I never wanted voynov gone this season, everyone has a bad year. He's been a gem for us. He we bounce back, no doubt about it.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
He's probably a shy person and has the ability to pretend his has trouble with the language to avoid answering silly media questions. Can't say I really blame him.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
His English was pretty fluent when he was dropping F bombs in last years playoffs during a scrap. Was it vs the Blues? I can't quite remember.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
[nhl]186178[/nhl]

His english seemed pretty good in his day with a cup video

Well, there you go! That was the best example yet.

His English was pretty fluent when he was dropping F bombs in last years playoffs during a scrap. Was it vs the Blues? I can't quite remember.

You can find some colorful language between Joffrey Lupul and Voynov on 24/7 Ep. 1 on YouTube. Voynov protected the front of the net and as he and Lupul skated away, Lupul whacked Voynov on the back of his legs. Voynov turned around and immediately exchanged some pleasantries with Lupul.

Last edited:

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
this guy needs to start playing better, his regression from two years is really worrisome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->