Voting Record - Sentinel, Hockey Outsider, ChiTownPhilly

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Don't know who GG Allin is. I'm too Euro.

oh cruel fate, what could have been

We were talking about arranging a spoken word tour of Europe for both of us. Neither GG nor I had ever been to Europe, and this tour would be an excuse to go there and cause trouble. We probably stayed up, partying until two or three in the morning, but GG was the first to fall asleep, probably around one.

GG Allin's Last Day on Earth

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Here’s a reminder that agreeing with consensus opinions has little to do with being objective, and that being objective isn’t even all that great if it’s a shallow or uninformed objectivity.

You could come to a pretty reasonable list by cobbling together a few lists that have appeared in mainstream publications, but it would reveal nothing other than a sad appeal to authority. You could also rank everyone with a mathematical formula of trophy votes and boxcar stats, and while it wouldn’t be the least bit subjective, it’d be almost worthless as a contribution.

It’s been fun being biased in all different directions with you guys, and finding out where the middle is.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
[Y]ou think (Parent)'s worthy of top 100 discussion? No. I'm sorry but I'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that you're a Flyers fan and thus losing some objectivity here. It happens and I think that's exactly what's going on here.
Let me just go ahead and address this here, since it surely won't hurt to assess if my fandom has affected my evaluations...

Yeah- my screen name is ChiTownPhilly. I consider myself a "dual-citizen" of Chicagoland & The Delaware Valley. I've said before- the 2010 SC Final was a schizophrenic experience for me. Ultimately, I decided to support Chicago, since their drought was more lengthy. [If I'd known then that they'd get two more, though...]

My Prelim List had Parent at 72. Not his highest placing, but up there. 23 participants listed Parent, which is the same number as listed Cowley, Erik Karlsson, and Vasiliev. I DO have to point out that, outside of our gated enclosure, the idea that Parent is a top-100 player is pretty mainstream. It's one of those rare times that I think the Macro-Media have it right, and we lost our way a little bit.

So... how do I view other Chicago/Philadelphia players? Let's look. The first figure is the HoH rank, the second figure is my POST-discussion rank. [I've re-tooled my 'top-100' list to reflect what I've learned in the discussions...]

Bobby Hull- HoH: 5, Me: 5
Stan Mikita- HoH: 24, Me: 41 (I lifted him two spots from my Prelim List, where I had him at 43. No-one had him lower.)
Glenn Hall- HoH: 28, Me: 20 (we underrated Plante, too, but not as much as this guy)
Bobby Clarke- HoH: 29, Me: 50 (no-one had him lower. The community used to put him above Messier. Thank the Hockey Gods those days are over!)
Chris Chelios- HoH: 41, Me: 38 (maybe I got 'im too high...)
Pierre Pilote- HoH: 54, Me: 55 (maybe we BOTH have 'im too high)
Earl Seibert- HoH: 61, Me: 46 (I had some outline-sketches for a side-by-side with Pilote, which I didn't pursue further, on account of Charlie Conacher getting the nerf-stick and being shuffled back. My Conacher anti-defamation project went to the front-burner. That doesn't change my perception that I think Seibert deserves more consideration.)
Charlie Gardiner- HoH: 75, Me: 65 (Love me some goalie Cup-Thefts- yes, I do)
Max Bentley- HoH: 81. Me: 86
Patrick Kane- HoH: 93, Me: 97 (like to see just a little more time in the developing solution...)
Duncan Keith- HoH: 94, Me: 90
Mark Howe- HoH: 95, Me: 107 on Prelim List (haven't revised past 100)
Eric Lindros- HoH: 96, Me: 91 (of the people who DID rate him, I put him where a lot of people who were willing to rate him placed him. He placed about as well as could be expected for someone who was only pipped by Cowley for De-Listings & NRs)
Tony Esposito- HoH: on pace for placing 109, Me: about there, I guess (I've said before- if NHL was EPL [no Playoffs], Tony O would have a top-50 case)

Bernie Parent- HoH: on pace for placing 111, Me: 71 (at this point, I'd say that if homerism is behind my high ranking of Parent, then it's localized homerism that doesn't extend to any other BlackHawk & Flyer players to anywhere near the same degree)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->