Vote: Keep or Fire Blash

Should Yzerman Fire Blashill

• Total voters

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
oh okay, thanks man. Just for the record I hate Blashill

Yes, this was apparent from the moment you joined. Your opinion is your opinion, and you don’t need to seek validation of it.

Saying you “hate” Blashill is either an overstatement of your feelings, or an extremely childish perspective. Blashill might not be your cup of tea, he might not be a great coach, he might not even be a good coach, but there’s nothing that he’s done that warrants “hate” to be a reasonable response. He’s a guy who did very good things for the organization in Grand Rapids, he’s played a role in the development of some important players, and he’s been a professional behind the bench despite being handed a loaded gun aimed directly at himself.

If it ends up being time to move on, I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Yes, this was apparent from the moment you joined. Your opinion is your opinion, and you don’t need to seek validation of it.

Saying you “hate” Blashill is either an overstatement of your feelings, or an extremely childish perspective. Blashill might not be your cup of tea, he might not be a great coach, he might not even be a good coach, but there’s nothing that he’s done that warrants “hate” to be a reasonable response. He’s a guy who did very good things for the organization in Grand Rapids, he’s played a role in the development of some important players, and he’s been a professional behind the bench despite being handed a loaded gun aimed directly at himself.

If it ends up being time to move on, I wish him nothing but the best of luck.
Respectfully, I can't wait to move on from him and am excited to see what a better NHL Head Coach can squeeze out of your young blood. You're also entitled to your opinion and I respect that but dude Blashill needs to go.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Holy smokes that guy really is a Babcock clone, isn't he? :laugh:

No doubt it's pretty frustrating seeing any little excitement you see in the team get sucked out by an arrogant turd who's more interested in wanting to be proven right than actually bettering the team.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Respectfully, I can't wait to move on from him and am excited to see what a better NHL Head Coach can squeeze out of your young blood. You're also entitled to your opinion and I respect that but dude Blashill needs to go.

You have a particular head coach in mind in replacing Blashill? Curious to know if you were in Yzerman's shoes who would be his replacement?

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
You have a particular head coach in mind in replacing Blashill? Curious to know if you were in Yzerman's shoes who would be his replacement?

Last season, the Detroit Red Wings lost 11 games by 3 goals or more.

We aren't a quarter through this season and that total is already up to 7.

Things couldn't get much worse if there was literally nobody behind the bench. That's what it feels like every damn night.

Your question has an easy answer. Go with the assistant with a Stanley Cup for the rest of the season and re-evaluate at the end of the year. It's obvious to anyone with 2 eyes and a brain Blashill has lost the locker room.

Reactions: RedWingsfan55

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We should take the advatage of the situation. Season is lost anyways, so lets build some point gap for others for the Lafreniere game.

So no moves.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Let one of the assistants take the helm, then re-evaluate once the season is over.

We basically have nothing to lose. Right now the team is spiraling and playing its worst hockey for an extended stretch.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Get rid of him.

Can’t win with team USA, can’t win with this team. Probably can’t win in the AHL either.

Reactions: lilidk

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
We should take the advatage of the situation. Season is lost anyways, so lets build some point gap for others for the Lafreniere game.

So no moves.
This makes sense in a video game logic sense but takes out the human element. Our players are real people and can succumb to confidence issues and self doubt just like anyone else. Losing, especially so badly and lethargically, eventually takes its toll on even the strongest characters

Reactions: FMichael

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
For those who have actually played the game, you would know you need a good coach more when you're a bad team than when you're stacked with talent.

You need to be taught proper systems to mask your lack of talent/skill/speed.

You need proper or better motivation when losing comes easy

You need to be taught proper structure when you know the game can get away from you quickly if you dont

Whrn good teams lose it's on the players as failures not the coach

When bad teams lose it's more on the coach and mgmt

That's how it goes

Either the team is not playing for him or he isn't smart enough to teach the right way

Reactions: Oddbob

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
This makes sense in a video game logic sense but takes out the human element. Our players are real people and can succumb to confidence issues and self doubt just like anyone else. Losing, especially so badly and lethargically, eventually takes its toll on even the strongest characters
Must agree here.

It's one thing to lose in OT, or by a goal in regulation...But losing as bad as we've seen is embarrassing...Maybe it's time for Disco Dan to take over?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if they don't do anything, and just keep trucking along as is, it is a slap in the face to fans. It sends the message that the current product is acceptable.

This is pro sports, sometimes wether it is fair or not the head coach gets the axe due to poor play from the players. At the moment, these games aren't even close, and it doesn't even look like anyone gives a **** out there. He needs to go, they need to send their fans a message that they won't tolerate this.

The team is a flat out joke right now. We all knew we would be bad, but this is next level bad. At least show up and compete for pride. I watch every game, but I don't know if I can keep tuning in to this. It's beyond bad, so get rid of Blash and at least hire an interim coach for the moment. Realistically, Blash has already overstayed his welcome by a year and a half. Put the man out of his misery.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
they need to send their fans a message that they won't tolerate this.

The message has already been sent that they WILL tolerate this. Yzerman openly stated this would take time and required patience. He did nothing with the names available via trade. He did nothing with the names available via free agency. He made the decision to keep the upcoming skilled players out of Detroit. The moves that he did make weren't even real attempts to add a little bit of short term structure, they were using scotch tape to hold together a cracked foundation. From the second the "Yzerplan" (as people call it) took over, the message to the fans has been to buckle up and prepare yourself for a rough ride. Not only was the message that they would tolerate "this" but the message was, "this" is what we were planning to do all along.

If Blashill is the figure head that needs to take the fall to get the fans to shut the hell up and live with the consequences of rebuilding, then honestly let's go for it. The fan base is restless because they refuse to accept the very thing they were begging for. As it has been said on this site before: Everyone wants to rebuild, but nobody wants to lose.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The message has already been sent that they WILL tolerate this. Yzerman openly stated this would take time and required patience. He did nothing with the names available via trade. He did nothing with the names available via free agency. He made the decision to keep the upcoming skilled players out of Detroit. The moves that he did make weren't even real attempts to add a little bit of short term structure, they were using scotch tape to hold together a cracked foundation. From the second the "Yzerplan" (as people call it) took over, the message to the fans has been to buckle up and prepare yourself for a rough ride. Not only was the message that they would tolerate "this" but the message was, "this" is what we were planning to do all along.

If Blashill is the figure head that needs to take the fall to get the fans to shut the hell up and live with the consequences of rebuilding, then honestly let's go for it. The fan base is restless because they refuse to accept the very thing they were begging for. As it has been said on this site before: Everyone wants to rebuild, but nobody wants to lose.

That is not at all what people are saying and you know it.

You can lose and heck you can expect to lose today to be better tomorrow, but you can not quit.

You have to lose while still developing. You have to continue to learn while losing.

And right now that is not happening enough.

Either his message or his teachings or both are simply not good enough.

Reactions: TheClap

ThePuckStopsHere

Aug 9, 2019
I don’t know what more any coach can do with this roster.

They’re not in winning mode anyway, and as long he doesn’t sour the players on Y’s long term plan, I don’t see why they should fire him mid season. They need a player development coach, whether is Blashill, or someone else.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

No fans are going to "shut the hell" up when a team loses by 3 goals a game

Reactions: FMichael

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
No fans are going to "shut the hell" up when a team loses by 3 goals a game

You're right, they will call for the coach. And when the coach gets fired and the team continues to lose by 3 goals a game, they will find something else to call for. And so on, and so on, and so on.

That's the point. People want a rebuild, but can't accept the losing.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I think we're quickly getting to the point of something needing to be done. Larkin's getting into fights just to spark this team, for crying out loud!

Yzerman's already added Beiga and Perlini, they've brought up Svetchnekov, Smith, Higgins... there's not much more they can do personnel-wise. I think we are falling into the "can't fire the team, so fire the coach" realm. Blash is to the point where he can't string together a coherent sentence. There's no more cliches to throw out in the post-game autopsy/presser.

There's no harm at this point with putting Bylsma in. His success with Pittsburgh is long in the past, but he's a suitable stopgap and the change might be enough to spark a few people other than Larkin and Bertuzzi.

The Wings are running out of silly theme nights. Popping t-shirts or slices of pizza into the crowd won't do it anymore.

I went to the "Celebrate Faith" game a Sunday ago against the Blues. $130 for three tickets in the nosebleed section, $45 for parking, and I dropped another $60 for food for me and two kids. I got a t-shirt, an hour talk (which was quite good) and basically one period of decent hockey from the Wings. Not $200+ worth, for sure. I can't afford to do that again this season, no matter what the gimmick is. I can justify it if the team has a legitimate chance of winning, but right now, they don't. I can watch them lose on TV if I want to torture myself.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
You're right, they will call for the coach. And when the coach gets fired and the team continues to lose by 3 goals a game, they will find something else to call for. And so on, and so on, and so on.

Bullshit.
We've losing for 3 seasons now.
Fans expect to lose.

But they don't expect a major step backwards - which is what we've seen thus far.

They don't expect to get blown out every night and see absolutely nothing done to try and improve.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

What do you want, out of curiosity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad