Vote: Keep or Fire Blash

Should Yzerman Fire Blashill

• Total voters

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Why? With the exception of Larkin, none of these players are any good. They are all above playing above the role they should be. They need new, better players.

It's not good for the players. They're people too, and losing takes its toll on everyone, especially the young guys. You don't want to cultivate a losing culture with so many new faces coming into the league. Seriously, just look at the last decade for Edmonton.

Honestly, I think they need both: New, better players, and a new voice behind the bench/in the locker room. They're definitely not mutually exclusive, and one is easier to accomplish than the other.

Reactions: TheClap

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Let's remember - last year, with Nyquist traded and lots of guys on the IR, this team went 9-9 down the stretch or something close to it.
So, maybe they were playing over their heads. But this team is not living up to the promise they showed late last year.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Let's remember - last year, with Nyquist traded and lots of guys on the IR, this team went 9-9 down the stretch or something close to it.
So, maybe they were playing over their heads. But this team is not living up to the promise they showed late last year.
That's the thing right? The team has a bunch of players underperforming, Nielsen, AA, Flip, Erne, Green, etc. There seems to be no system at all and a lot of line juggling when they can't score. Plus the PP setup just sucks. They try too hard to set up the shooter (Hronek/Mantha), and the shooter winds up taking long distance shots with no screen.

It's time for a new coach, certainly at the end of the season. The team needs to start looking.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well I think the teams performance under him shows what needs to be done. He might have been a really good AHL coach. But hes not a good NHL coach at all.

Just like Jared Bednar was able to end up season with 39 points and now has a 100-point team.

Colorado tanked with the same guy and now is succeeding with the same guy.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
  1. Yes - Now, enough's enough
  2. Give him til the end of the season
  3. No - Not to blame
I feel it's a 1/3 of all three from above...

1. The way the Wings have been losing it looks as though the team has numerous moments of not knowing what they're doing, and that usually falls on coaching...

2. Since there's no clear better alternative - why not just ride it out for the remainder of the season?

3. And yes - the roster isn't very impressive so I expect losing on most nights.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Here's my reasoning, whether it matters or not (spoiler alert: it doesn't):

If Blashill isn't long for this team -- and I have to think he isn't -- wait until the end of December, and reevaluate then. If there's a better coach available, make the move. Get the kids (and guys with term) used to a new system, so next season you hit the ground running.

If there are no better options, let Disco take the reigns for the rest of the season, and see what happens. Either he continues the suck, or he implements a different system and shit changes for the better. Reevaluate at the end of the season.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I voted "no - not to blame". Not even Scotty Bowman could turn a pile of dog shit into a gold nugget. This team sucks and the guy has absolutely nothing to work with outside the 1st line. Wings need to start hitting the lottery...

**** Bettman!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I voted "no - not to blame". Not even Scotty Bowman could turn a pile of dog **** into a gold nugget. This team sucks and the guy has absolutely nothing to work with outside the 1st line. Wings need to start hitting the lottery...

**** Bettman!
You can get a no-talent roster playing well within a system. You will still lose because you can't score, players make individual mistakes and your goalies aren't good enough. But even with very little talent you can run a system that makes you competitive. That's how teams like Germany or Switzerland can be competitive in international tournaments, how Finland can win over Russia/Canada, how Vegas made the SCF, how the Isles are so good, how Carolina and Toronto were some of the best advanced stats teams in the league before actually becoming good teams, etc.

Nobody is asking for this roster to go deep in the playoffs. We're asking to not score the least goals per game while allowing nearly the most. Being that bad at both ends of the rink is unacceptable no matter the talent the level.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk, I'm pretty frustrated with the team the last two games. Coach needs to go. But more importantly... It's time to ship players off imo.

AA can be traded for picks at this point. He's no one to count on. An the one carrot Yzerman has to really rock the boat an get other younger players attention(Perform or Peace out). Trevor Daley, Green, Helm, Howard, Glendening should all be shopped at this point for whatever they can get too.

The dawn of a new era needs to be had. The bell needs to be rang by Yzerman. This isn't entertaining or good enough product in my own little opinion. It's embarrassing. Fans, Red Wing fans who were excited for Yzerman need something to hang on to and see something towards progress.

Waiting till the end of the season... Fans might as well just check out now, check back in at TDL, and worry about the draft and next years offseason( some already are this way ). I think fan deserve something now though, the coach isn't helping. It's a small thing for the fans to fire the coach. Fans will at least be more accepting of losses with an interim coach knowing Yzerman's search for his guy is on.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Just like Jared Bednar was able to end up season with 39 points and now has a 100-point team.

Colorado tanked with the same guy and now is succeeding with the same guy.

Bednar had one season of tanking with 48 points. And they were in the playoffs the next season.

Blashill's teams have essentially gotten worse every year he's been at the helm. See the difference?

Blame the roster all you want, but this is a team that looked competitive down the stretch last year. They continued that the first three games of the season. There's no reason they should look this disorganized and lifeless night in and night out. How much time should Blashill get? Until Larkin retires?

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Idk, I'm pretty frustrated with the team the last two games. Coach needs to go. But more importantly... It's time to ship players off imo.

AA can be traded for picks at this point. He's no one to count on. An the one carrot Yzerman has to really rock the boat an get other younger players attention(Perform or Peace out). Trevor Daley, Green, Helm, Howard, Glendening should all be shopped at this point for whatever they can get too.

The dawn of a new era needs to be had. The bell needs to be rang by Yzerman. This isn't entertaining or good enough product in my own little opinion. It's embarrassing. Fans, Red Wing fans who were excited for Yzerman need something to hang on to and see something towards progress.

Waiting till the end of the season... Fans might as well just check out now, check back in at TDL, and worry about the draft and next years offseason( some already are this way ). I think fan deserve something now though, the coach isn't helping. It's a small thing for the fans to fire the coach. Fans will at least be more accepting of losses with an interim coach knowing Yzerman's search for his guy is on.

Before we start moving on from some of the young guys, I'd like to see what they can do with a new coach. A new coach that hopefully has a better idea how to get the most of his guys, implementing a system that plays to their individual strengths. A coach who doesn't throw a few of them under the bus while the others get a free pass. Who shows some confidence in his young guys and knows how to correct their mistakes without playing mind games. Scotty Bowman could get away with that because he had the success to back it up. Dime-store Babcock does not.

MetalHeadRedwingfan

Feb 6, 2019
I voted "no - not to blame". Not even Scotty Bowman could turn a pile of dog **** into a gold nugget. This team sucks and the guy has absolutely nothing to work with outside the 1st line. Wings need to start hitting the lottery...

**** Bettman!
This makes no sense. Gerrad Galant.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You can get a no-talent roster playing well within a system. You will still lose because you can't score, players make individual mistakes and your goalies aren't good enough. But even with very little talent you can run a system that makes you competitive. That's how teams like Germany or Switzerland can be competitive in international tournaments, how Finland can win over Russia/Canada, how Vegas made the SCF, how the Isles are so good, how Carolina and Toronto were some of the best advanced stats teams in the league before actually becoming good teams, etc.

Nobody is asking for this roster to go deep in the playoffs. We're asking to not score the least goals per game while allowing nearly the most. Being that bad at both ends of the rink is unacceptable no matter the talent the level.

Disagree. International tournaments on big ice vs NHL on small ice. Then you go on to say you don't expect [low talented] teams to score, but then in the last paragraph you say you expect them to score more. Which is it?

Then you go on to reference teams bottom of the barrel, terrible teams the past 30 to 60 years... teams who tanked due to being bad ownership, bad management and bad players that eventually won lotteries and drafted 1st and 2nd overalls and... get high picks. Lol! That's cute. Yet those teams still have won NOTHING to date and atleast one of those teams (Leaf fans) already want to fire their head coach.

And to your last paragraph, being bad IS ACCEPTABLE. What is UNACCEPTABLE is being stuck in mediocrity for the next 10 to 15 years.

And changing the coach might win us more games and get us more points during the short period of "rush of having a new coach" that we sometimes see in the NHL, but as usual, it won't last. They'll fall back to exactly where they are now... because the TEAM SUCKS!

This makes no sense. Gerrad Galant.

Lol. Sure buddy. One aint like the other. You're adorable, though.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I said b but feel it should be c. I believe he is given a bum deal with the crap on the roster he has. Like numerous other's have stated Bowman couldn't do anything with this roster.

Also just because they went on a streak at the end of last year means f all. Playoff teams were resting, other bad teams that had sense were maximizing there lotto chances. It was a prime position for the team to do well.

However if you look at the past two seasons start, we get blown out when everyone is hungry. We just don't have the talent.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We're not an underperforming team like Los Angeles was when they fired Andy Murray or St Louis when they fired Mike Yeo. So I don't see the point in firing Blashill. I'm fine if Yzerman disagrees and fires him this afternoon. I just don't see the need to fire him before the season is lost; this is going to be a lost reason regardless. I don't view any current assistant or coach in the minors as the potential replacement like I did when we had Todd Nelson. So I'm fine with letting the season play out and then making a decision. Who knows, Yzerman may have already made a decision in his mind. Ultimately I'm fine with whatever Yzerman decides.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I've seen enough to want to move on. His teams have little to no structure, strategy, or discipline. He seems to have no idea what chemistry is nor how to put together a decent, sensible lineup. He subscribes to Babcock theory believing a plug must be on every line so the offense has somewhere to go and die. He pretty much refuses to ruffle any feathers among the vets who are supposed to be "showing the young guys the way" but are mostly playing awful but he's more than willing to throw young guys under the bus. Not a good motivator, his teams almost always deflate at the first sign of adversity. Too sloppy, too many guys who look lost and/or aren't competing hard consistently. Guys don't seem to respect him very much. This job is too much for him.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If Blash is fired, his replacement will eventually be fired as well. Only way I’m OK with Blash being fired, is if he is hurting the development of the younger players.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Couldn't figure out how to vote, but holy hell Blashill needs to go. Fire his useless ass

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Blash is fired, his replacement will eventually be fired as well. Only way I’m OK with Blash being fired, is if he is hurting the development of the younger players.
Is that a bad thing? Get rid of Blash and Disco, bring in a new crew at the end of the season. When a head coach is fired, the assistants usually go anyways,

People can blame the roster all they want, but what about the PP? This team has enough talent to have one decent PP line that should score. There's no excuse for getting shut out or score only one goal. 5 on 3 PPs have been absolutely atrocious with Hirose hanging out on the perimeter unwilling to go anywhere near the crease.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad