Vote: Keep or Fire Blash

Should Yzerman Fire Blashill

• Total voters

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Where they played much better relative to their NHL careers. Pulkinen had 61 points in 46 games under Blashill in the AHL, now that's not to say Blash is a great coach or that he propelled them to be amazing players, but those players were solid to elite AHLers at young ages for the Griffins under Blashill.
And then Pulki washed out of the NHL while coached by Blashill. So I'm not sure it's reflective on Blash either way.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Here's a crazy idea. Maybe Blashill is a fine coach for the collegiate and AHL levels, but his system, strategies and coaching technique simply don't work in the NHL. It didn't exactly translate at the international level either. His World Cup team was shutout and bounced by Finland in the first elimination round after looking mostly dominant in group play (after the initial embarrassing loss to Germany).

The Blashill line blender has rarely if ever had a positive effect. He keeps doing it.
The zone entry on the PP has never worked. He keeps doing it. They've been consistently bottom half in the NHL, except the season he had Datsyuk.
The PK has gotten worse every season since he's taken over.
Like Babcock, he doesn't adapt his strategies based on the talent he has, he tries to shoehorn everyone into playing his system, his "process," even if the guys he has are ill-suited for it.
And we're not even getting into the most common complaints about his coaching: line combos, TOI allotment, favorite pets, kids in his doghouse, etc.

His message is stale and was crap to begin with. Fire him and let Bile Mom take over for the rest of the season and pray for an upgrade at the end of the year. Worst case scenario they tank harder and finally secure at least a top 4 pick.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Maybe I should've used a phrase other than cherry picking because that's not the focus of my argument. I'm saying yes those three are playing great but I don't know that Blashill deserves the credit for somehow developing them into better players than they would've become under any other semi-competent coach.

Does Dave Lewis deserve the credit for Zetterberg becoming a stud?

Maybe Dave Lewis does deserve some credit. So many things go into it from the personnel involved to the organizational philosophies at the time to a whole host of things that I'm sure wouldn't even cross my mind to consider...I'm not sure how fair this evaluation could get for any coach. For where the Wings are, for how the organizational philosophy has shifted the past few years, and the type of players and teams Blashill's been given, I think he's done well. While it might not be fair to give him all of the credit, it's also not fair to write off the success of guys like Mantha, Larkin, and Bertuzzi, either. With where a lot of these guys were when they started on the Wings, Blashill has been the guy in charge that saw them getting over the major hurdles of their professional development (or apparently failing to clear them a bit - AA).

Could another coach have done as well? Maybe, but maybe not. But maybe a different GM could have won more Cups than Holland. I think the fairest thing is judging Blashill on what he's had a hand in doing, and those guys doing well is part of that.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Not saying Bylsma is God's gift to the NHL.
But he took over a floundering Penguins team, and got them hot enough to win the cup.
He was a .616-.750 coach in Pittsburgh after that - never getting beyond round 2. Though a lot of that had to do with the Penguins simply not being that great beyond their big guns.
In Buffalo, he took over teams that had .360 point percentages and turned them into .460 and .490 teams.
And when he was fired, they fell back to .350.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Maybe Dave Lewis does deserve some credit. So many things go into it from the personnel involved to the organizational philosophies at the time to a whole host of things that I'm sure wouldn't even cross my mind to consider...I'm not sure how fair this evaluation could get for any coach. For where the Wings are, for how the organizational philosophy has shifted the past few years, and the type of players and teams Blashill's been given, I think he's done well. While it might not be fair to give him all of the credit, it's also not fair to write off the success of guys like Mantha, Larkin, and Bertuzzi, either. With where a lot of these guys were when they started on the Wings, Blashill has been the guy in charge that saw them getting over the major hurdles of their professional development (or apparently failing to clear them a bit - AA).

Could another coach have done as well? Maybe, but maybe not. But maybe a different GM could have won more Cups than Holland. I think the fairest thing is judging Blashill on what he's had a hand in doing, and those guys doing well is part of that.

I think it's too simplistic to give credit to a guy just because they were there.
I give credit to Blash on Larkin because he gave Larkin every f***ing chance to succeed.
He simply didn't do that for other guys.
Even when Larkin was brutal from February of his rookie year til March of his sophomore year, he never f***ed with Larkin in the media. He didn't put him on Line 4 or sit him out.
He showed faith in the kid.

Blashill simply doesn't do that with all his rookies.
He's kind of done that with Bertuzzi.

Right now, I'm looking at Hirose and wondering what in the f*** he's done to deserve icetime over Svechnikov.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
People, they need to lose as many games a possible this season. Why making a coaching change that could improve the team?

Reactions: odin1981

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
:thumbu:
Here's a crazy idea. Maybe Blashill is a fine coach for the collegiate and AHL levels, but his system, strategies and coaching technique simply don't work in the NHL. It didn't exactly translate at the international level either. His World Cup team was shutout and bounced by Finland in the first elimination round after looking mostly dominant in group play (after the initial embarrassing loss to Germany).

The Blashill line blender has rarely if ever had a positive effect. He keeps doing it.
The zone entry on the PP has never worked. He keeps doing it. They've been consistently bottom half in the NHL, except the season he had Datsyuk.
The PK has gotten worse every season since he's taken over.
Like Babcock, he doesn't adapt his strategies based on the talent he has, he tries to shoehorn everyone into playing his system, his "process," even if the guys he has are ill-suited for it.
And we're not even getting into the most common complaints about his coaching: line combos, TOI allotment, favorite pets, kids in his doghouse, etc.

His message is stale and was crap to begin with. Fire him and let Bile Mom take over for the rest of the season and pray for an upgrade at the end of the year. Worst case scenario they tank harder and finally secure at least a top 4 pick.

Bravo. :thumbu:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
People, they need to lose as many games a possible this season. Why making a coaching change that could improve the team?

For a non-guaranteed chance at a top pick?

I'd rather remove the luck from the equation and get a fresh perspective on the "talent" that already exists in the system. If a coach won't play who's there, what makes anyone think he'll play a top-5 pick from next year's draft?

Well at this point, there's only one remaining constant from the Holland era. A change was needed in at least one position, and we see the results of that so far.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Get rid of him he is doing now to help this rebuild with his stupid coaching decisions. From Helm playing on the top line to scratching Chow to playing Mantha on the 2nd powerplay unit to sending Svech down. Etc

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Thanks to Edmonton, that chance still isn't as good as it could/should be.

Call it a basic life philosophy, but I, for one, would refuse to put my future in the hands of something over which I have zero control.

But you do have control, you'll have the best odds of winning the top pick. There's still an incentive to suck the best.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
But you do have control, you'll have the best odds of winning the top pick. There's still an incentive to suck the best.

Eh, now we're just splitting hairs. Even the worst team in the league isn't guaranteed to get anything, and I can't stand by taking that chance.

Besides, I still want the team to win, no matter what. I'm not one of the "tank crowd," so you will never find agreement from me regarding that stance. :laugh::help:

BIGZ40

Jul 2, 2006
Georgia
I get the feeling he's lost the locker room and that's why'd I'd like him out. Once the players zone out whatever message you are sending it's time for you to go. It's not just one player either, it's the whole roster. Too many nights like tonight where the team looks completely uninspired. I'm fine with losing as long as the players are showing effort on a regular basis and there is some growth. We've been missing those two components essentially all season so far.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Besides, I still want the team to win, no matter what.

Why? With the exception of Larkin, none of these players are any good. They are all above playing above the role they should be. They need new, better players.

Because we have young players on the team now who I'd like to spare from shellshock.

Great. Give Vanek a call. I'm sure he'd be better than Hirose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad