Vote! Goal of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I figured I'd make a new thread and put all the nominees in the OP. Also made gifs of the youtube videos so our European friends can see them. :nod:

I'll hide the gifs so it's not so overwhelming if people are browsing on mobile. :laugh: (click the +/- button to open)

Charlie Coyle vs. Edmonton

[collapse=coyleedmonton][/collapse]

Nino vs. Winnipeg

[collapse=ninopeg][/collapse]

Nino Penalty Shot vs. Chicago

[collapse=ninochi][/collapse]

Scandella goal vs. Nashville

[collapse=scandynash][/collapse]

Dumba OT Winner vs. Nashville

[collapse=dumbanash][/collapse]

Parise vs. Detroit

[collapse=parisedet][/collapse]

Parise vs. Colorado

[collapse=parisecol][/collapse]

Parise vs. Boston

[collapse=parisebos][/collapse]

Zucker vs. Chicago

[collapse=zuckerchi][/collapse]

Pominville vs. New Jersey
[collapse=pommernj][/collapse]

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
1) Nino v. Winnipeg
2) Scandella v. Nashville
3) Parise v. Detroit

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
1) Parise vs Detroit
2) Zucker vs Chicago
3) Nino Penalty Shot

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
For me I think it's between Scandella vs. Nashville and the Nino penalty shot.

Think I gotta go with Scandella, though. That's about as pretty as it gets!

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
So tough...Dumba's was a huge goal for the team, but maybe not the most 'amazing' display you'll see.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I like Parise's goal vs Detroit. It is Zach Parise in a 3 second nutshell. The determination, the hustle.. Dude is a bulldog. I usually go with the pretty goals, but a hard earned hustle goal gets the vote from me this time around.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm going with Parise against Detroit. It's really the 2nd effort there that makes it IMO.

The work by Suter on Dumba's goal is awesome. That's why I would rank that one pretty high.

I'd say top 3:
Parise against Detroit

Never mind, I can't pick a top 3.. there's like four more that I would put in the same tier after that one.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Wow that Granlund goal against Boston isn't getting nearly enough love in here. Somehow this was my first time seeing it and that's one of the best goals I've ever seen the Wild score.

It's literally the most Wild goal ever it describes us perfectly...

Spurgeon first pinches aggressively in the D-zone to keep the puck in after winning a puck battle with the opposing winger and is able to get the puck back down the wall, where Parise proceeds to win another puck battle against a Boston defenseman, and is able to force the Boston dman to cough the puck up, and the loose puck finds Spurgeon who had just pinched and was near the top of the circle...

The pass from Spurgeon to Granlund was a good find by Spurgeon on the back-door, but it was put in the only spot it could have gotten through...which was behind Granlund ..

Amazingly though him and Granlund both see that--even at high speed--as you see Granlund begin to pivot almost backwards as Spurgeon starts to slide between 3 defenders with a 4th just about to reach him from behind and finds Granlund on the weakside.

All in one motion Granlund, who has already begun his spin before he caught the pass, smartly instead of trying to make a low percentage play on his backhand, continues the final 3/4 of the rotation and all in one motion no looks it to Parise...

Parise, who was actually the 2nd guy to the puck, when winning the battle for the loose puck that Spurgeon had kicked down the wall...was able to lift the Dmans stick and cause the TO. But does he stop?

No, knowing the flow of the play has gone to other side of the ice, Parise's forgotten about a bit and he heads straight to the front of the crease and is somehow able to communicate that with Granlund while mid-spin. Or more likely Granlund thinks the game at such a high speed he was actually able to read Parise's read as Parise is still coming out of the corner and before Granlund has even started his spin.

Not to mention that Granlund's pass goes right in between 3 defenders and is perfectly timed right as Parise sneaks in between 2 defenders in front of the net who are caught puck-watching (to be fair Granlund's spin was pretty damn distracting) and Parise just casually deflects it in up high and cellies. *Cue Claude Julien Shaking His Head*

If that doesn't describe the Wild's style of play offensively I don't know what does. It's grinding and working hard, but with skill. It's players doing the little things that lead to big results. And this hockey market is one of the only out there that I think actually really recognizes a lot of those small, little plays that change the game and are special past "dangles, snipes, and cellys"

The full play before the goal for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY4LRVXSxr4

Guys that's just great hockey right there. Smart, aggressive D to pinch and knock the puck back down the wall, hustle and speed to move your feet and win another 50/50 battle in the defensive zone, the communication and hockey sense by all 3 guys to understand what was happening...for Spurgeon to see the open passing lane, for Granlund to adjust his body so he could receive the pass and know what Parise was thinking and where he was heading, for Parise to be on the same page with Granlund and go to the net, and then for Granlund to spin and fire it--surprising 3 guys--for what can only be described as a "Parise-"esque" goal"

/shedstear

Guys I love this team. No matter what...with this run... and seeing all of this...and how happy the guys have been as they've climbed the standings and actually answered the hype this team got in the preseason... I'm always going to have good memories from this season.

But, yeah, definitely the Parise-Boston Goal

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Easy vote for Scandella against Nashville with a honorable mention to falling Niederreiter.

If I had to make a top three, that would be much harder. Maybe the Niederreiter penalty shot just because how amazingly fast his hands are.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Parise vs. Detroit.

I'm biased because he's my favorite player, but that goal is just everything that I love about Parise.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
^

I agree. That was just classic Parise.

I'm kinda surprised that the Zucker goal hasn't had any votes yet. A beautiful goal and a close second, in my opinion.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
After a grueling 2 day voting process, congrats to Marco Scandella on being voted the goal of the year!

Your plaque is in the mail, Marco.

Wander

May 12, 2014
I missed the voting, but I have to say that Charlie Coyle's goal is the most impressive to me. You can't even really see how he gets it in on full speed, the move is so fast. Slow motion shows that he has to delay it to the absolute last millisecond to beat the goalie.

The winning goal is excellent too, tho.

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Probably my favorite goal was the Vanek around the world SO goal. But it was a loss. Scandella was epic.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
Tough choice but I can't agree or disagree with the Scandella goal winning. A lot of great goals this year.

Parise vs. Detroit was impressive.
Coyle vs. Edmonton was also impressive.
Nino vs. Winnipeg was similar to Coyle's, but just as impressive.
And Nino's penalty shot was as filthy as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad