Line Combos: Vote for the 13 forwards you want to see on opening night

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My list is very different when you compare who do you want to see with who do you think will be there. I want to see all the following players play games this year and see how they do because I believe they are the most talented 13 forwards as of this season and in the future moving forward. Minus Paul he needs a year in the AHL. I am not naive enough to think that players on one way deals like Smith and Neil arent going to make the team and every team needs some toughness/gritt/leadership.

I want to see

Turris
Stone
Macarthur
Hoffman
Ryan
Zibanejad
Pageau
Lazar
Michalek
Chiasson
O'Dell
Puemple
Prince

I think im going to see

Macarthur Turris Stone
Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
Michalek Pageau Lazar
Prince Smith Chiasson
Neil

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
My list is very different when you compare who do you want to see with who do you think will be there. I want to see all the following players play games this year and see how they do because I believe they are the most talented 13 forwards as of this season and in the future moving forward. Minus Paul he needs a year in the AHL. I am not naive enough to think that players on one way deals like Smith and Neil arent going to make the team and every team needs some toughness/gritt/leadership.

I want to see

Turris
Stone
Macarthur
Hoffman
Ryan
Zibanejad
Pageau
Lazar
Michalek
Chiasson
O'Dell
Puemple
Prince

I think im going to see

Macarthur Turris Stone
Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
Michalek Pageau Lazar
Prince Smith Chiasson
Neil

That's surprising. I didn't think anyone would pick him, especially over the other veterans.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's surprising. I didn't think anyone would pick him, especially over the other veterans.

He has great draft pedigree and has ripped up the AHL, never had a chance in Winnipeg played 5 minutes a game in a 4th line roll. He has talent I think if he gets any kind of chance he will produce. Same age as Hoffman was last season.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
Prince-Pageau-Michalek
Puempel-Smith-Lazar
Neil

I'd also be fine with

Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone
Prince-Pageau-Michalek
Puempel-Smith-Chiasson
Neil

If the team decides Lazar's offensive game could benefit from time in the AHL.

I really hope Prince and Puempel come out gangbusters and can't be kept off the team.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He has great draft pedigree and has ripped up the AHL, never had a chance in Winnipeg played 5 minutes a game in a 4th line roll. He has talent I think if he gets any kind of chance he will produce. Same age as Hoffman was last season.

As a center, he'd have to push Pageau (not likely imo) or Smith out of the lineup (not to mention Lazar).

I can honestly say I know little to nothing about him, from what I understand he's a smallish player that plays a power forward game, has a good shot, and isn't a great skater. Is that fair?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As a center, he'd have to push Pageau (not likely imo) or Smith out of the lineup (not to mention Lazar).

I can honestly say I know little to nothing about him, from what I understand he's a smallish player that plays a power forward game, has a good shot, and isn't a great skater. Is that fair?

I wouldnt say he is small 6'0 200, he isnt big by any means but has a great work ethic on and off the ice. He isnt scared to go to the dirty areas as he is strong on his stick and has good hockey sense so he doesn't hurt you defensively either. I really believe if he was drafted and developed by Ottawa he would be an NHL regular player now.

I could see him taking Smiths spot if he continues his uninspired play. O'Dell certainly has more skill/hockey sense (both ways) than Smith but isnt as physical. He is also more of a threat to score than Pageau but doesnt have his speed/tenacity/it factor.

Average skater, not slow not fast but knows where to go so he isnt out of the play. Has a great shot off his wrong foot and a quick release. I could see Hoffman O'Dell Chiasson being a good 3rd/4th line in terms of zone time and production. If Ottawa plays a hard on the forcheck puck posession style game i think this lineup could be really really effective.

MacArthur Turris Stone
Puemple/Prince Zibanejad Ryan
Hoffman O'Dell Chiasson
Michalek Pageau Lazar

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
... He is also more of a threat to score than Pageau...

I think O'Dell has some development years on Pageau and is the more mature player right now, but I'll take a still-improving soon-to-be 23 year old Pageau to outscore a WYSIWYG O'Dell.

Of course, I'm pulling for O'Dell to prove me wrong. I'd love to have a no-risk reclamation UFA signing like him totally pan out.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Debating on Neil or Robinson for 4rth line RW but other than that pretty similar to everyone. (AKA not Chiasson)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I think O'Dell has some development years on Pageau and is the more mature player right now, but I'll take a still-improving soon-to-be 23 year old Pageau to outscore a WYSIWYG O'Dell.

Of course, I'm pulling for O'Dell to prove me wrong. I'd love to have a no-risk reclamation UFA signing like him totally pan out.

They are only two years in age difference and different types of players, O'dell has more offensive awareness and hockey sense while Pageau has a way better motor and is much faster. I think they are threats to score in different ways... From a purely offensive stand point O'dell is the larger threat. Pageau is the superior player as he brings more to the table no doubt.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Honestly didn't know much about O'Dell other than seing him in a couple AHL games here and there without really looking at him but Jets fans seemed to like him from what I read on their board and they seem to think he's atleast a decent NHLer.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
Knowing the waiver status of a few of these guys makes a big difference for me. I believe that its good asset management not to risk guys to waivers unless you have too many to keep or are done with them and would prefer they be picked up ie... Greening.

Paul - Waiver exempted
Lazar - Waiver exempted
Puempel - Waiver exempted
Prince - Not waiver exempted
Eric O'Dell - Not waiver exempted
Buddy Robinson - ?
Cole Schneider - ?

Anyone know for sure about the last 2. I voted to keep Robinson only because I thought he wasn't waiver exempted but if he is then another year in the AHL won't hurt him while Neil is here.

EDIT:
According to hockeyscap Buddy on the last year of is ELC is still waiver exempt and Schneider as an RFA is not exempted.

https://www.hockeyscap.com/players/buddy_robinson

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Who i'd like to see not who we likely will see

Hoffman , Turris, Stone
Mac, Zib, Ryan
MM9, Pageau, Havlat
Prince, Smith, Lazar
Neil

-----------------------------
14. Puempel
15. Paul

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Puempel - Lazar - Havlat
Michalek - Paul - Chiasson/Neil

Last edited:

BigBush*

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
Puempel - Lazar - Havlat
Michalek - Paul - Chiasson/Neil

incredible how anyone could think Pageau should not be in the starting line up

source

Jul 13, 2008
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Prince-Zibanejad-Stone
Hoffman-gaping hole-Michalek
Paul-Pageau-Lazar

I have high hopes for Prince and Paul. Even if they can fit in right away though, we still have a lot of dead weight.

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
Mac turris ryan
Hoff zibby stone
Prince pageau michalek
Puemple paul lazar
And trade smith and chiasson for picks (whatever we can get)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
incredible how anyone could think Pageau should not be in the starting line up

I got these same kind of posts when I didn't have Connacher, Filatov, Da Costa & Pettersson in my lineups in the past when so many others did. I have also been saying since last summer or longer that Condra wouldn't be re-signed which was against what most were saying so I'm used to being in the minority here. :naughty:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I got these same kind of posts when I didn't have Connacher, Filatov, Da Costa & Pettersson in my lineups in the past when so many others did. I have also been saying since last summer or longer that Condra wouldn't be re-signed which was against what most were saying so I'm used to being in the minority here. :naughty:
i get the impression you enjoy certain players failing

BigBush*

The only comparible player out of those guys is maybe Conacher, and he was in the starting line up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad