NFL: Vontae Davis quits on Bills

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I have seen a lot of football and I have never, ever seen anyone just up and quit in the middle of a football game. Sometimes people have done so after a game, sometimes coaches have randomly quit a team by leaving a letter, but those were after games or before games or during practice weeks. This is one of the most oddest and hilarious things I've seen.

Yeah I thought Mark Gastineau doing it mid-week during the season was bad but this is a whole nother level of selfishness.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I mean....couldn't he have just rested on the sideline in the second half, while the backup CB took over?

Why straight up get changed and walk out? :laugh:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Vontae has always been an unique dude.

With that being said, I believe him about the “high standards” as I remember him on the Colts.

He was absolutely one of the elite CBs in NFL for a stretch of a couple of years before his body broke down. And I’m not sure that he got enough credit for that.

QBs were not having success throwing his way when he was in his prime.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
**** it. The Bills organization quit on the fans years ago.

Last year was fun. Ralph Wilson was ome of the worst owners in sports. The real problem is the economy crashed, the weathers cold, they started playing games in Toronto, theres no place for a new stadium. They had an oil tycoon buy the team to save it for awhile. A lot of the problems are logistic and the league's moving from smaller markets. I wouldn't even expect Jacksonville to be in Jacksonville long term.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't buy this. Guys prepare their retirement. They just rarely get to go out on their own terms. Theres no way this was a spare of the moment thing.

But lets be real, these guys didn't choose football, it chose them because they werent good enough to play basketball.

Do you try and come up with the dumbest takes possible about every subject?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I have seen a lot of football and I have never, ever seen anyone just up and quit in the middle of a football game. Sometimes people have done so after a game, sometimes coaches have randomly quit a team by leaving a letter, but those were after games or before games or during practice weeks. This is one of the most oddest and hilarious things I've seen.

You never played high school ball then.

I played on a team where the senior QB (who wasn't as good as the backup) got absolutely savaged by the coach after throwing two dummy interceptions and trying to blame other players. After it was clear we would never block for him again he quit on the spot. Our team was a hell of a lot better after this, once the backup was worked in and it was decided that our future NFL CB would take snaps from shotgun and run. That season was a lot of fun and even though it was 16 years ago I haven't forgotten it.

Vontae did the Bills a favor in the sense that you should never hang around a team when you aren't mentally capable of playing. He'll have to give the money back, and I'm sure he knows that.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't buy this. Guys prepare their retirement. They just rarely get to go out on their own terms. Theres no way this was a spare of the moment thing.

But lets be real, these guys didn't choose football, it chose them because they werent good enough to play basketball.

Lol no they don't and that last line was one of the dumbest things I've heard. Another keyboard gridiron great who never put on cleats. You honestly have no idea how much commitment it takes to get to the NFL and play that position, CB is probably the hardest position to play at the level Davis was playing. Football has to consume you. It is the only position on the field where the player has no idea where they might be going on any given play, their job is to read everything and do everything. A CB also needs to be in perfect physical condition, which clearly Davis feels he was not.

When a player is washed up, they should get off the field before they get seriously injured.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Lol no they don't and that last line was one of the dumbest things I've heard. Another keyboard gridiron great who never put on cleats. You honestly have no idea how much commitment it takes to get to the NFL and play that position, CB is probably the hardest position to play at the level Davis was playing. Football has to consume you. It is the only position on the field where the player has no idea where they might be going on any given play, their job is to read everything and do everything. A CB also needs to be in perfect physical condition, which clearly Davis feels he was not.

When a player is washed up, they should get off the field before they get seriously injured.
The guy retired at halftime. He literally walked away from the game and his teammates with two quarters left. He could have handled the situation a lot better.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The guy retired at halftime. He literally walked away from the game and his teammates with two quarters left. He could have handled the situation a lot better.

Yeah he shouldn't have been on the field in the first half. But I don't have a problem with him quitting at halftime. When you're washed up, it's time to go home. What is really to be gained by him staying there? To stand there after quitting?

When dude quit when I was in high school, the coach made him go sit in the stands and sit at the back of the bus on the ride home. Difference is this is a grown man and they were playing in Buffalo. Some people are way too focused on punishing adults for personal decisions that don't hurt anyone, and ultimately this is more than just a business, we are talking about a game that can put a player in a wheelchair for the rest of their life.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Do you try and come up with the dumbest takes possible about every subject?

What part bothers you?

The fact that basketball i a far more athletic sport and a way safer sport to play? Not to mention the players make more money. Do you think a big guy like Tony Gonzalez would rather get free dunks OR catch footballs and take a physical beating? Would much rather have the former.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
And how does that effect you? Its his choice.

He has NO consrquence. Most people would LOVE to quit their positions in the slave force. But that doesnt happen because the average person does not have the money to do this and they also have no other opportunities. This guy could probably get a coaching, broadcasting or something gig if he really wants it without this incident even being looked at, In regular society you would get blackballed.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
2008 proved this isn't the case.

Coach does matter. Outside of their first SB with Philly the games have been close. One possession. Needed a team and system. Needed some breaks too. People overrate the QB because they get a record. It also didn't hurt that none of the other teams in their divisiob had a stable system in place but the Dolphins still somehow beat them out with scrub Pennington.

Since 08 when everyone was sucking Cassel's ass he's done nothing elsewhere.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Yeah he shouldn't have been on the field in the first half. But I don't have a problem with him quitting at halftime. When you're washed up, it's time to go home. What is really to be gained by him staying there? To stand there after quitting?

When dude quit when I was in high school, the coach made him go sit in the stands and sit at the back of the bus on the ride home. Difference is this is a grown man and they were playing in Buffalo. Some people are way too focused on punishing adults for personal decisions that don't hurt anyone, and ultimately this is more than just a business, we are talking about a game that can put a player in a wheelchair for the rest of their life.

BUT you just proved a point of the kid doing the same and getting punished. So why should adults be exempt?

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

This might be the stupidest thing I've read on this subforum.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This might be the stupidest thing I've read on this subforum.

It's a figure of speech to a degree. But to an extent it's true. Basketball players are more skilled in talents. They also play a less physical sport, the contracts are also bigger and better. I also bet most ex players are in better health shape than football players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->