NFL: Vontae Davis quits on Bills

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Football is too physically damaging a game to play it if you don't really want to be there and you don't need the money. Davis is 30 and if after a half of being 'dressed' (don't know how much of the field he actually saw) he saw that this is no longer the game for him, then fair play to him for making that decision on the spot.

Reactions: Amerika

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
That’s pretty bad quitting mid game. I completely agree that it is incredibly disrespectful. At least finish the day off and retire so the team can adjust. This leaves you short handed, guys have to play more and risk themselves more etc. just a bad look for him.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I must have missed him leaving Indianapolis. Had zero clue he was in Buffalo.

Will never forget this.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Football is too physically damaging a game to play it if you don't really want to be there and you don't need the money. Davis is 30 and if after a half of being 'dressed' (don't know how much of the field he actually saw) he saw that this is no longer the game for him, then fair play to him for making that decision on the spot.

It looks bad on him if wants to get another job in the football world. He'll always be known as the guy who quit on his team at halftime.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Really disrespectful to just leave. If he came to the conclusion he was going to retire at halftime and didn't want to play anymore, then at least come out to the sidelines with your teammates until the game is over. That I could respect. Just leaving is ridiculous.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There is no defending how Davis acted

If he lost the will to play , etc he should have stayed in locker room and announced his intention after game to organization/coaches/etc

Also I believe his guaranteed $$$ in contract kicked in once he made roster so I imagine Bills could have grievance here to go after most of the money he got

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

If he lost the will to play , etc he should have stayed in locker room and announced his intention after game to organization/coaches/etc

Also I believe his guaranteed $$$ in contract kicked in once he made roster so I imagine Bills could have grievance here to go after most of the money he got

Won’t be an issue for the Bills, Longstanding precedents in the league they’ll get the money back.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I mean...all faults aside, can you blame him?

Long before New England fans realized they had a football team, I remember the Buffalo Bills growing up. They were the class of the AFC and everyone hated their guts. Partly due to being abused in the Super Bowl every year after their first appearance.

Seems like forever ago.

Reactions: Clowe Me

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
And if he didn't want to do this anymore he should have informed them before season or at the very least before game so they could have brought in someone who actually gave a shit and wants to play

He embarrassed himself today and his actions are deserving of scorn

Sep 19, 2008
I have seen a lot of football and I have never, ever seen anyone just up and quit in the middle of a football game. Sometimes people have done so after a game, sometimes coaches have randomly quit a team by leaving a letter, but those were after games or before games or during practice weeks. This is one of the most oddest and hilarious things I've seen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And if he didn't want to do this anymore he should have informed them before season or at the very least before game so they could have brought in someone who actually gave a **** and wants to play

Coaches don't want guys in the game if they have mentally checked out. No reason to just walk out the way he did. Should have spoken to the DC and DB coach and told them that he's mentally done. They would have sat him the rest of the game, cause that's not a player they'd want out there. But he at least owed it to the rest of the team to be on the sidelines for the 2nd half.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I mean...all faults aside, can you blame him?

Long before New England fans realized they had a football team, I remember the Buffalo Bills growing up. They were the class of the AFC and everyone hated their guts. Partly due to being abused in the Super Bowl every year after their first appearance.

Seems like forever ago.

New England fans should cherish what they have because they easily could go back to being the franchise of pre 01. It's all about the QB.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Shows me all you need to know. Guys arent that smart, they don't know who is or isn;t gunna be good through most of the league. He knew what he signed on to though. A team that drafted a rookie and wasnt playing for 2018.

Here's the truth, nobody else even wanted him. He looked awful on the field pre and regular season. Nobody will be lining up to sign a 30 year old coming off a major injury and has an injury history.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
And if he didn't want to do this anymore he should have informed them before season or at the very least before game so they could have brought in someone who actually gave a **** and wants to play

Was all about the funny money he missed last year. They agreed to a dumb contract. Hes got guaranteed dough just for making the team.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Was all about the funny money he missed last year. They agreed to a dumb contract. Hes got guaranteed dough just for making the team.

Guaranteed money and signing bonus money doesn’t matter if the player retires or breaches the contract.

Both of those require that the player is attempting to fulfill the contract.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wouldn't surprise me if there's a bit more to the story that isn't out yet. Odd way to retire, but we'll see what comes out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad