Volleyball - July 24 - August 8

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
In women's volleyball Turkey defeated China 3-0 today in a major upset. Turkey dominated the entire match too.

USA women easily defeated Argentina in their match.

Reactions: Filppula

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I've maintained that JLP has been overrated for a really long time for winning with a stacked squad.

She's completely vindicated that belief. It took her until down 1-0 and down in the 2nd set in the third game after being swept twice for her to finally put Zhang and Ding on the court and just run the best players, and it turned around the game. But it was too little too late. Starters got tired late in the 4th and she tried to ride Wang really hard, for no apparent reason. They're basically out of the tournament now, they need a lot of help to have any chance of making the KO stages.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What a win by France. They beat Poland, #2 team in the world and have reached the semis. Argentina next.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
3/0 against Argentina !!!
France through to the final.
They will face Russia in the final (that they beat earlier).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France started strong with 2-0 sets up, but Russia is coming back. 2/1 right now, Russia ahead in the 4th.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Russia ties it.
No question all 4 set wins were deserved. France played incredible for the first 2, Russia upped theirs in the next 2.
Final set will give the gold.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
All Russia in the tie break right now. They have all the momentum, I don't see how France can come back here.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And France comes back to win it !!!!!!
These guys are never ever beaten. Incredible.

But really, that russian coach that challenges the match point even though it was half a meter out, digusting behaviour.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And France comes back to win it !!!!!!
These guys are never ever beaten. Incredible.

But really, that russian coach that challenges the match point even though it was half a meter out, digusting behaviour.

Tuomas Sammelvuo is Finnish. And we'd gladly have him back but Russia are paying him more and seem to be pleased with him.

member 305909

France wins volleyball, handball and comes second at basketball.

Not too bad for them. If I were French I'd be glad.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Don't really see the problem with the challenge. Everyone knew, but the coach hardly has a chance to spend minutes analysing what he think he saw while his heart rate is at 150 etc. due to all the adrenaline etc. If you think that was "disgusting" because it was disrespectful or something than you got the problem in my opinion. I don't blame him for not 100% trusting what he think he sees. Imagine if he hadn't made it and someone actually did touch the ball. Boy oh boy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There was no doubt though. And it spoiled the French joy (they stopped waiting for the replay).
Very poor sportsmanship.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France wins volleyball, handball and comes second at basketball.

Not too bad for them. If I were French I'd be glad.
Oh we are.
And current football WC champs too.
Best country in collective sports right now.
We also beat Japan at Judo in Japan in team tournament. That was a great moment.
Though the Olympics are rather disappointing for the individual athletes, those collective results have been the bright spot.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't really think he did it to take away any joy from the French though?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He did in spite, just in case refs could find something to turn over the point.
As I said, very poor sportmanship. He didn't even know what to ask for.
Stark contrast with the russian players who congratulated the winners.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Most be fantastic to know with such a certainty why people are doing things. Especially at the end of a final game in the Olympics where every decision is rational, well considered etc.

To say it is "disgusting" is just way over the top. It might have been unnecessary, but really no harm done. I think it is reasonable to assume the French players can now fully enjoy their win.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Same thing happened in the hockey final, Belgian players were already celebrating and Australia challenged.

I'm quite amazed France won the volley Gold. I think I had about 5 or 6 teams ahead of them. Great job.

Also watched the womens final this morning and now I'm in love with Rosamaria Montibeller :banana:

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Disappointing result for Russia. Muserskiy was a miss. The women were even worse. And apart from Brovkina and Lazarenko fairly experienced. Not good enough from them. Their form in recent years has been below the standards expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad