Injury Report: Vol. 3 (Updates in First Post) | Crosby to Miss ASG, Out "About A Week"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
So what are these issues that might be a big deal. I read this and thought I missed something and maybe I did but everything I read just seems to suggest an injury that's been lingering. I tend to think of a groin, ankle or some other kind of strain or sprain. Is there something somewhere implying that it could be something major?

Turns out I'm probably just too nervous about it, when reading it a second time, it doesn't sound so bad. I was basing my initial comment on this quote:
“With ‘Geno,' he won't be ready to play right after the break,†Rutherford told the Tribune-Review. “It's probably an injury that will take a little time to heal.â€
The "a little time to heal" scared me more than it probably should have.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
Geno missed the Chicago game so he could skip the All Star weekend and play against Winnipeg. Sid took his turn playing the Hawks and he'll sit the Jets game to miss the festivities. The MRI could very well be to just cover their bases. I could be wrong, but I bet that's all this is.

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
Turns out I'm probably just too nervous about it, when reading it a second time, it doesn't sound so bad. I was basing my initial comment on this quote:

The "a little time to heal" scared me more than it probably should have.

Oh okay. I'm not sure why you would think the worst. It's not like these young and fit hockey players ever have anything major happen like cancer, blood clots, strokes or season ending shoulder surgeries. I mean what are the odds of serious injuries like those happening :sarcasm:

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Oh okay. I'm not sure why you would think the worst. It's not like these young and fit hockey players ever have anything major happen like cancer, blood clots, strokes or season ending shoulder surgeries. I mean what are the odds of serious injuries like those happening :sarcasm:

This board is more funny than informative.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So, given that the Winnipeg game is a wash, should they say Fleury is injured (or admit that he is, if he is) too? Rest and removing the chance of an ASG injury for him.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Geno missed the Chicago game so he could skip the All Star weekend and play against Winnipeg. Sid took his turn playing the Hawks and he'll sit the Jets game to miss the festivities. The MRI could very well be to just cover their bases. I could be wrong, but I bet that's all this is.

Geno is at least missing the Winnipeg game, and possibly more, according to JR. And I don't think that Sid, or any other player, would have an MRI just as an excuse to skip the All-Star game.

The injury is obviously something he can play through, but it makes sense to take this free week of rest if there is something nagging.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What do the lines look like without Sid and Geno and the others?

Perron-Sutter-Bennett
Kunitz-Ebbett-Spaling
Downie-Goc-Arcobellow
Farnham-Adams-Sill

Martin-Pouliot
Ehrhoff-Bortuzzo
Scuds-Despres

?

Depressing...

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
From DK

• Don’t overread into any of the Penguins’ most recent rash of injuries to Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin or Kris Letang, each for different reasons.

Crosby, very clearly, is seizing the chance to rest over the All-Star break. And to repeat from Thursday night, who could blame him? He’ll miss the Winnipeg game, then be right back for the trip to Washington the next night.

Malkin, from what I’ve heard, could miss Winnipeg and Washington, possibly more but not much more. His is a leg injury sustained several weeks ago, then aggravated during the second period in Philadelphia. It isn’t thought serious, but now, in the Penguins’ view, is a great time to allow meaningful healing.

Letang’s situation is a little cloudier, as is usually the case with concussions. But I heard in Philadelphia that it was the doctors that expressly forbid him from returning to the game after the Zac Rinaldo cheap shot sent Letang’s head into the glass. Part of the thinking was that Letang has a history not only of concussions but of late-developing concussions. So even after he was cleared to participate in the morning skate the next day at Consol, he was monitored closely, then shut down again because of, again basing this on information I heard rather than culled formally, one of his regular migraines.

All told, none of these sounds serious.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/01/23/friday-insider-worilds-steelers-not-worlds-apart/

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sid possibly not playing on his own bobblehead night? Possibly no Geno or Letang either? Against a big physical Winnipeg team? Maybe I'll just get my bobblehead and go home.

Michael8771*

Perron-Sutter-Bennett
Kunitz-Ebbett-Spaling
Downie-Goc-Arcobellow
Farnham-Adams-Sill

Martin-Pouliot
Ehrhoff-Bortuzzo
Scuds-Despres

?

Depressing...
Not really, we were nearly healthy and got killed by both NY teams. That was depressing. TBH I'm not too worried about our injury situation as none of those guys are likely to be out for any long period of time. I just think we may need to concede the season. I've seen enough in regards to our coach and his inane decision making to lose faith. I really don't think he's any better than DB.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I'm shocked - very unexpected. Good for the Penguins to shut him down and let him recover, though.

The injuries really are crazy, and it's frustrating it continues to happen each season.
One cannot ignore how important an injury-free regular season is, considering the cup winner is usually on average the 4th healthiest team in the league (seriously, the 3 teams with the least injuries since 10-11? LA, Boston, Chicago - in that order). Even with all the Penguins flaws that would have prevented them from succeeding these past few years, that will always be one of the "what-if's" for me.

Also, that Winnipeg game will be definitely interesting. Would like to see Scott Wilson called up.

Last edited:

deczola

Jan 21, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

Perron-Sutter-Bennett
Kunitz-Ebbett-Spaling
Downie-Goc-Arcobellow
Farnham-Adams-Sill

Martin-Pouliot
Ehrhoff-Bortuzzo
Scuds-Despres

?

Depressing...

DAMN - that is Dan Bylsma dream team. With that he would get 115 points, be the top seed and then lose out in the 1st round after being up 3 - 1.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The Pens have been dissing the all star game since the mid 90s.

I really wish the NHL would kick off the season with the all star game. Players would be happy to just play again while fans would eat up hockey, any hockey, at that point.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
DAMN - that is Dan Bylsma dream team. With that he would get 115 points, be the top seed and then lose out in the 1st round after being up 3 - 1.

:laugh: I usually loath the bringing up of Dan "Ancient History" Bylsma but you're spot on there. That is a lineup of his dreams.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I honestly wish they would stop doing all star games. The only watchable one is the MLB one.

Absolutely. I used to LOVE these games as a kid. The Pro Bowl not so much, it lost its lustre years and years ago. But the NHL All-Star Game is one I used to record and watch over and over every year. It was great hockey, not a real NHL game but the guys used to exert a lot of effort to try to win the game. It was fun to watch. Not anymore.

Now, I find the entire weekend a complete waste of time. And I do still watch the MLB game. A LOT of people think it's stupid that home-field advantage is decided by that game, but I think it really helps keep those players in the game. It prevents the game from turning into a side show. The NBA game has been unwatchable for years because of that element.

I think some of these sports marketing geniuses need to come up with a better plan for the mid-season breaks.

I quickly was thinking about an idea of having the NHL all-stars play a four-team, round-robin tournament against the KHL, SHL and Liiga all-stars. One NHL location, two games a day until the round-robin is over, then a final between the two best teams. At LEAST the NHLers will not want to lose against inferior talent so they'll put out SOME effort to win. And it could be good for the hockey scouts to see these players all in the same tournament. It would be good for some guys who still aspire to play in the NHL...or some potential UFA's who may want to head back home, etc.

We already have a break that lasts Thu-Tue, you wouldn't need much more to complete a mini-tourney like this. Basically it would be similar to the Spengler Cup.

Having the game to START the season isn't a terrible idea, either. The players are jonesing to play at that time of the year, not wishing for a break like late January.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
The Pens have been dissing the all star game since the mid 90s.

I really wish the NHL would kick off the season with the all star game. Players would be happy to just play again while fans would eat up hockey, any hockey, at that point.

that might be worth watching/playing in but it also would eliminate the midseason break that this team will need for the next decade

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
I honestly wish they would stop doing all star games. The only watchable one is the MLB one.

I like some of the skills competition stuff but I rarely watch much, if any, of the game. I guess my definition of some of the skills competition stuff that I like would boil down to two events. I like the hardest slapshot and Shooting Accuracy. They should just get together and have those two events and go home.

The game itself is garbage and I'm just glad that Sid and Geno aren't playing. I could see them both getting hurt in that meaningless game and then I'm not sure what I would do but I'm guessing it would finally push me over some sort of sanity edge.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Nothing was worse than the YoungStars Game, though the judged shootout challenge may have been even more painful.

I think skills competitions have become passe now. The novelty has warn out and now it's just the same thing over and over.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Yup I do enjoy the skills stuff.
Really to the point that if I had to choose, I'd prefer a 1-2 day skills-oriented showcase vs the joke of the "game" they put on.
But ideally they should scrap it altogether. Mid season with the potential for injuries simply makes it stupid on top of everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad