Player Discussion Vladislav Namestnikov

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The more I think about it, the more it seems that Miller was moved for two reasons - 1) the Rangers were not interested in giving him a long term deal, and 2), there were locker room issues that, aside from the onion ring incident, we as fans were not privy to. I think it’s becoming clear that Gorton was not happy with the leadership of the team, and has made a big effort to target more players with strong leadership and character, most notably Andersson, Howden and Lindgren.

I’ve always liked Miller as a player, and it’s going to suck watching him blossom in TB. The question becomes, did Gorton undersell his value?

Yup, Miller was one of my favorites. Gotta be more about putting a puzzle together going forward with salary cap being one of constraining factors. Would Names require lesser salary? Would he be an easier asset to move or bring a better return? I don’t know but to me these were primary considerations.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Kind of like the 17 game evaluation you had for Pionk? Pot meet Kettle.
It was actually at the 14 game mark that he called him Neal Stionk. It wasn't until he went +6 with 5 points in the next three games that he actually amazingly decided that 17 games wasn't enough to evaluate Stionk properly. Which I thought was kind of weird because 17 is a larger number than 14.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
What about when Miller didnt play with Stamkos and Kucherov?

Miller on the Rangers playing on the 3rd line: 41 points

Namestnikov on the Lightning playing with Stamkos and Kucherov: 43 points.
Vlad got bumped off the Stammer and Kuch line iirc. Before that, he was at about ppg pace at one point with them.
Also, Miller has 4 pts that don't have to do with Stamkos or Kucherov.
Miller's been good for them, but its not like playing with Kuch or Stammer isn't a big reason why

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The 12 Game Evaluations are in

It`s a small sample size, but I like Nam better in his first game as Rangers when he was used to the Tampa Bay system, and that tells me that we should be careful to analyze our players too much in the old AV system, which most teams in NHL have had figured out by now. If and when players get evaluated end of this season since the deadline with Nam in his case - I still believe he is an important piece going forward with this rebuild, but it all depends how deep Jeff Gorton rebuild really is, and how many years he get in that position concerning a successful rebuild. A sport is often a result oriented business - both players and personel need to perform to achieve the main goal which is a Stanley cup.

But one player evaluation is just a small fish in a sea of fishes, and we need to look at how other franchise are doing, and not at least how are we going approach this summer window - will Gorton sell most pieces above 25 years of age for the future. It all depends the amount of years Jeff will get a benefit of a doubt and not at least time to continue the rebuild. But it`s not an easy task like Glen Sather mentioned in the same interview when they announced NYR franchise a completely new direction which a rebuild involves.

Reactions: will1066

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I’m not coming here to stir the pot; genuinely curious.

Why did NYR trade Miller? Young, about to hit his prime, better producer than VN. He fits the rebuilding mold.

Think NYR could’ve gotten more for him, IMHO.

:)

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Why did NYR trade Miller? Young, about to hit his prime, better producer than VN. He fits the rebuilding mold.

He's one-dimensional, floats, dangles too much, and has a questionable attitude. He's basically the reality of the Russian stereotype.

Talented player who could turn it around, but it was never going to work here.

Our forward corps is not the problem and never has been and I don't think we miss Miller.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It just occured to me that the person who made that determination is an imbecile. The possibility that he could go on and be a 60-70 pt guy going forward and we lost him because of a blithering idiot of a coach makes me puke in my mouth figuratively
I wouldn’t worry about him becoming an all star. I think he’s good and possibly better now Post-wake-up-call. But despite tons of talent I don’t think he’s a Top Liner on a good team. Better than Namestnikov for example. I suppose. But I don’t see this being a trade the Rangers “rue”. I do think he’ll get better. But my sense is that wouldn’t have happened with the NYR.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He's one-dimensional, floats, dangles too much, and has a questionable attitude. He's basically the reality of the Russian stereotype.

Our forward corps is not the problem and never has been and I don't think we miss Miller.
He is not one dimensional.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Unless he's actually a problem in the locker room, I don't see how it helps our forward corps to trade Miller for a well inferior player.

Reactions: Off Sides

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

I have no idea. It was a horrible deal from the minute it was made and looks even worse now. Namestnikov is small soft and clearly was living off Kuch and Stamkos. Tells you a lot when that line is dominating the league that they still felt they should trade him.

Meanwhile Miller is big strong skilled fast can play any forward position will probably put up 30 and 60 next year easily and he’s 24. Makes zero sense. Zero to deal him especially when our weakness will be on the wing not at center. This will go down as one of Gorton’s worst moves as our GM.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Who "could turn it around"? I'd say a 50 pt/yr player is not bad for the not turned around state.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->