Player Discussion Vladislav Namestnikov

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Let's not forget that this kid was a first round pick.

Not that being a first rounder is a ticket for success, but it usually shows there was/is at least something there that was seen as being NHL-quality.

Namestnikov clearly has skills. Seems he may have never hit his stride, stuck behind all of Tampa's talent or maybe just inconsistency. You can see the speed, hands, vision, shot release.

Reactions: belford222

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I really liked what I saw from him last night. Although Namestnikov scored his goal on a breakaway, I was impressed with how at certain points last night, he was able to slow the game down and control the offensive zone. In that way is a much more conventional skilled player than Miller, who, to me is an exciting, dynamic player who tends to do things at fireball speed to be at his best. He might not be a fireball like Miller (we'll see), but ability to slow everything down I think will lead to fewer giveaways and, ultimately, easier points for Namestnikov's linemates.

Reactions: belford222

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I really liked what I saw from him last night. Although Namestnikov scored his goal on a breakaway, I was impressed with how at certain points last night, he was able to slow the game down and control the offensive zone. In that way is a much more conventional skilled player than Miller, who, to me is an exciting, dynamic player who tends to do things at fireball speed to be at his best. He might not be a fireball like Miller (we'll see), but ability to slow everything down I think will lead to fewer giveaways and, ultimately, easier points for Namestnikov's linemates.

Fireball speed? I feel like Miller lacks in the speed department, straight-line wise.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
i said it the day of the trade, vlady is the better hockey player. jtm has tools but the noggin is foggy.

sure he played with some stud players in tampa, but his overall skill set it better. he's very solid defensively too. his strength (smarts) is jtm's weakness.

and his shot is very dangerous and that will become apparent the more we see him.

this 1 for 1 deal favors us.

Everyone else is also discounting the fact that we got an extra RFA year with Names... Extending him will be cheaper vs extending Miller because of the additional RFA year. That's brings the AAV down

ClutchTom

May 25, 2004
currently Kraków, Poland
It's only been one game - a game in which he was surely playing with a lot of adrenaline. So in that sense, I'm going to withhold judgment until the end of the season. Truthfully, even that ~20 game sample size isn't enough.

Having said that, I was very impressed with some of the finer points of his game last night. You can see his raw abiliity, but he also seems to be a thinking man's player. You can see the wheels are always turning in his head, he's always scanning, assessing situations. For all of his ability, I always felt like this was an inherent weakness of Miller's game. His hockey IQ, coupled with his questionable work ethic.

I was actually impressed with his ability to play center. He said he is a natural center and he does have the skillset to play that position, it seems to me. Now, is he a top 2 center on an elite team IN THE PLAYOFFS? I'm not quite sure. Tampa fans did say he got thrown around quite a bit when the games got more physical.

He definitely needs to improve his faceoffs, but that is easily fixable.

This is a case where it seems the advanced stats back up the eye test. His ability to carry the puck was most impressive to me. I was sold on him the moment I saw him make that quick move to avoid the forechecker in the buildup to his assist last night. Then once gaining the line, he had the composure to make the right play.

Back to the main point, though, I loved his ability to exit + gain the zone with possession. That's going to be invaluable if we're going to build a new core with the skills it takes to be successful in the modern NHL.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. Hopefully he keeps this up. I would like to sign him as a transitional piece now that would then become a very nice complimentary player once we've drafted our star forwards and they start coming into their own.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Am interested in seeing what he does with more responsibility.

And I'm not referring to the honeymoon period between trade deadline and end of season.

Next year is going to be more telling IMHO

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He is playing for a new contract too @pld459666 - and for other players might be their last 18 games for Rangers. So the remaining games are no vacation at all consider our table position. But I hope he stay with us Rangers - he is a very good player and I`m positive about his future for sure.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Like him. Like him a lot.

Read a lot of write-ups about how he is elite in the league at transporting the puck, specifically zone entries.

We saw it on his very first shift as a Ranger, making a move inside his own blue line and using his skating to bring it into the offensive zone, pulling up and setting up Pionk for the one-timer.

While I don't put all of my eggs into advanced stats there are some that have more of an impact on the game than others. Im glad they got something back from the Lightning in this category. When the Rangers lost Stralman they lost a very good possession man, very under rated and at the top of the league and I believe the little things he does had a big impact in the W column for the Rangers in his time here.

When they went to interview him I was expecting broken english. When he spoke perfectly and said he was from Detroit I was kinda blown away to be honest.

Hes more American than Russian and I think this is great thing because he may help bridge any gaps for Buchnevich and the rest of the Russian crew slated to join the Rangers. I'm wondering if Gorton and the scouting team had this in mind and if so kudos to them.

Also read and heard that he is great in the room and a bit of prankster. Not sure if it was posted already but some great stuff here with photobombing. He's in a lot of these. Really funny stuff.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
His uncles are Slava Kozlov and Ivan Novoseltsev, his dad played in the NHL, AHL and Russia, and his grandfather had a long career in the old Soviet league. Quite the bloodlines. I'm sure someone mentioned this already but I just became aware of it myself.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
His uncles are Slava Kozlov and Ivan Novoseltsev, his dad played in the NHL, AHL and Russia, and his grandfather had a long career in the old Soviet league. Quite the bloodlines. I'm sure someone mentioned this already but I just became aware of it myself.

What do Ty Ronning and Vladislav Namestnikov have in common? Their fathers played for the Vancouver Canucks when we beat them to win our last cup.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Impressive kid...I like him . Will also stick up for himself....won't have to have Hayes feel bad about skating fast to the bench if a fight breaks out . :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad