Player Discussion Vladislav Namestnikov

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Favorite hockey name since Branko Radivojevic. It's like something 12 year old me would make up pretending to be a Russian stud during knee hockey.

Reactions: LionsHeart

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think we’ll grow to really like Namestnikov if he stays here long term. He’s a really nice guy and he sticks up for himself and teammates (he’s always willing to fight) wouldn’t mind him here as a long term staple on the 3rd line if the price is right. Good defensively, can chip in offense, decent physicality (which AV will neuter) and is good in front of the net.

If you’re expecting 50+ points you’ll be disappointed but he will be a really good middle 6 guy who can play up and down the lineup. He’s American and grew up in Michigan, don’t expect a “Russian” type game (for those who’ve never seen him) around 40-45 points yearly I’d realistically expect

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Great net presence, good possession player, particularly astonishingly good at zone exit. In short, reliable. He's a bit underrated as he's willing to do most of his share of the dirty work to make life easier for his linemates, preferably top-6 players, has trouble gelling with bottom 6 forwards tho. Fast and decent skater but can't stand on his feet under physical punishment, this might be his biggest weakness. Epitome of a complementary player, which is not an insult at all, just get Namestnikov the right personnel to help him help them, profit.
You had me at “astonishly good at zone exits”

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You had me at “astonishly good at zone exits”

Yeah, that’s been a major problem for us too. Honestly aside from the faceoffs I’d rather we’d kept him - he and Miller are pretty close to a wash overall but I think Vladdy fits our other needs better (zone exits and defense), had great chemistry with Stamkov, and I’d rather have the great locker room guy who works hard to play at the level he’s at than the more talented guy who plays at the same level because he doesn’t care to put in the effort to be better.

I don’t know, maybe we can get more out of Miller if we can convince him to work hard but the faceoff thing aside I just don’t get messing with our chemistry at this point in the season for somebody who isn’t a clear upgrade.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, that’s been a major problem for us too. Honestly aside from the faceoffs I’d rather we’d kept him - he and Miller are pretty close to a wash overall but I think Vladdy fits our other needs better (zone exits and defense), had great chemistry with Stamkov, and I’d rather have the great locker room guy who works hard to play at the level he’s at than the more talented guy who plays at the same level because he doesn’t care to put in the effort to be better.

I don’t know, maybe we can get more out of Miller if we can convince him to work hard but the faceoff thing aside I just don’t get messing with our chemistry at this point in the season for somebody who isn’t a clear upgrade.
Yeah there seems to be something difficult about Miller. The last few years we heard a lot about how he “has to learn to be a pro” and “has to decide if he wants to do what’s necessary to be in this league” etc. Then it sounds like Gorton suggested him to SY, then Brooks reported that the organization thought he had coachability issues that went beyond AV and they didn’t think he was preparing well enough, etc.

Maybe it’s AV, maybe it’s being on a team of nice guys without an in your face kind of leader. I don’t know really but I guess he’s a difficult personality. I always liked that he was a little bit of a hot head and hard to play against because NYR had way too many nice guys on the ice.

Maybe he’ll respond better in TB knowing a cup is within reach, or maybe one of the leadership guys in TB will give him whatever kind of attention he responds to and get him to take his preparation and effort more seriously. When he’s on, he’s on and he’s a great player to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
No reason to put him with Buch just because both are Russian. KZB plays well together.
It's not an idea just because they're Russian imo. Vlad is a skilled passer and Buch can finish well when he gets good passes. We have pretty much dead time for 19 games here, might as well cycle the new guys around and see who works with who.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Think the bottom line w jt is when you or your team face adversity people look for how you respond. Nyr has been in big adversity this year and he stood out like a rotten apple, especially the last couple of weeks. When teams go through these kind of purges that affect the leadership core they are looking to see who the next round of leaders will/could be, and jt's effort and body language read as potentially cancerous. Not what you want for a restructuring organization w new players coming in.

Reactions: shinchanyo

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
One game observation:

He is visible out there on every shift. He is pretty fast, creative, and not afraid to get involved in physical play. I’ve had fun watching him this game against a whatever team. Is this type of play sustainable from him? I would like to see a string of games against better competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad