Player Discussion Vladislav Namestnikov

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think he and Zucc played too much possession hockey for AV liking and give away the puck style - so they split them up in his first games. He produced on the same line with Zucc & Vesey earlier, and they had at least 3 shots in the iron in the same game. One from Vesey, Nam, and one post for Zucc when they were on the same line together. Nam could have 6-7 pts easy just saying and it`s bad bounces.

This is a typical HF overreact kind of statements - he don`t produce in AV garbage system coming from Tampa.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Not to take away all that Miller has done, but any decent top 6 or even top 9 winger could be a point per game player on a line with Kucherov and Stamkos. How many of the goals have been tap ins on brilliant passes? You're talking about two players that have combined for 183 points in 153 games

And despite his production he's still somehow managed to be a -1 since being traded there.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Not to take away all that Miller has done, but any decent top 6 or even top 9 winger could be a point per game player on a line with Kucherov and Stamkos. How many of the goals have been tap ins on brilliant passes? You're talking about two players that have combined for 183 points in 153 games

And despite his production he's still somehow managed to be a -1 since being traded there.

If playing at a pt/g pace on that line is a given, what does that say about Namestnikov's 0.70 pt/g avg this year? Both players got their scoring boosted on that line.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Spooner have 15 pts in 16 games - I`m curious what the Boston fans think about that trade now since Rick Nash struggle with concussion. It`s a very small sample size 14-15 games - we need to have more patience than that in my opinion.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If playing at a pt/g pace on that line is a given, what does that say about Namestnikov's 0.70 pt/g avg this year? Both players got their scoring boosted on that line.

It says that Namestnikov didn't play every game on that line. Braydon Point and Yanni Gourde played with them quite a few games as well.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
I have no idea. It was a horrible deal from the minute it was made and looks even worse now. Namestnikov is small soft and clearly was living off Kuch and Stamkos. Tells you a lot when that line is dominating the league that they still felt they should trade him.

Meanwhile Miller is big strong skilled fast can play any forward position will probably put up 30 and 60 next year easily and he’s 24. Makes zero sense. Zero to deal him especially when our weakness will be on the wing not at center. This will go down as one of Gorton’s worst moves as our GM.

I was hoping VN was going to be a solid replacement for Miller and make the trade for McD easier to swallow, but VN is no different than okposo or moulsen when they played with Tavares. It was Tavares that made them look better than they really were. Miller will shine in Tampa and VN will spiral downward here in NY.

I’d rather have kept Miller if at all possible.

Horrible trade.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Unless he's actually a problem in the locker room, I don't see how it helps our forward corps to trade Miller for a well inferior player.
From what we've heard there was definitely a problem in the room and I didn't say it helps. I just don't think it hurts.

This fanbase just has a habit of latching onto things to avoid talking about real problems.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Miller is shooting at 24.3% with the Lightning FYI. That's not going to last.

From what I've seen so far of Miller with Stamkos and Kucherov is he's getting the Vic Hadfield, Adam Graves kind of goals. Everything from within within 10' of the goal. He probably won't continue at 24.3% but working with creative players like Kucherov and Stamkos and shooting from that kind of range we probably can expect him to score a lot of goals and have a very high shooting % nonetheless---at least if that line combination continues into the future. It should be kept in mind that Hadfield was the much lesser talented guy of the GAG line---that being said only he, Graves and Jagr have hit for 50 goals in a season for the Rangers. Three guys---that's it. Hadfield without Gilbert and Ratelle might have made 20 goals a couple/three times over his career--but Hadfield also gave that line a net front presence and his big body and a degree of truculence gave Ratelle and Gilbert more space to work with. It should also be kept in mind that almost every time that Miller scores a goal one of Kucherov, Stamkos is going to have an assist--it's not like they're not getting anything out of the relationship either.

People on this board are going to have to prepare themselves for 65-70 point seasons from JT. He might even go higher.....I suspect he's going to be a good fit with those two. I get it---Miller ain't nearly as good a player but Hadfield wasn't either but without him Ratelle and Gilbert might have been just two really good players instead of two Hall of Famers.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
From what we've heard there was definitely a problem in the room and I didn't say it helps. I just don't think it hurts.

This fanbase just has a habit of latching onto things to avoid talking about real problems.

Maloney mentioned something about management being concerned about Miller not being a good influence on the younger players with the way he carried himself both off and on the ice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maloney mentioned something about management being concerned about Miller not being a good influence on the younger players with the way he carried himself both off and on the ice.

And even so, I just don't see a 50-point winger who does nothing else as a need for this team. And we have Spooner to do that now if we choose to keep him.

If there's a reason to be upset about the McDonagh trade, it's blowing up our defense with no plan to fix the defense.

Reactions: Stasis

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
From what I've seen so far of Miller with Stamkos and Kucherov is he's getting the Vic Hadfield, Adam Graves kind of goals. Everything from within within 10' of the goal. He probably won't continue at 24.3% but working with creative players like Kucherov and Stamkos and shooting from that kind of range we probably can expect him to score a lot of goals and have a very high shooting % nonetheless---at least if that line combination continues into the future. It should be kept in mind that Hadfield was the much lesser talented guy of the GAG line---that being said only he, Graves and Jagr have hit for 50 goals in a season for the Rangers. Three guys---that's it. Hadfield without Gilbert and Ratelle might have made 20 goals a couple/three times over his career--but Hadfield also gave that line a net front presence and his big body and a degree of truculence gave Ratelle and Gilbert more space to work with. It should also be kept in mind that almost every time that Miller scores a goal one of Kucherov, Stamkos is going to have an assist--it's not like they're not getting anything out of the relationship either.

People on this board are going to have to prepare themselves for 65-70 point seasons from JT. He might even go higher.....I suspect he's going to be a good fit with those two. I get it---Miller ain't nearly as good a player but Hadfield wasn't either but without him Ratelle and Gilbert might have been just two really good players instead of two Hall of Famers.

He is... the guy is a very good fit with those two. Passing skills are there, and they're playing him on LW... where he wasn't that great with the Rangers. His role is to get physical... create space for Kuch and Steve... screen the goalie.. look for rebounds... and get open when they cycle. All of his strengths.

Makes sense... guy marches to the beat of his own drum... management got rid of both guys that were anti-AV this year... which concerns me about his retention next year.

You need a coach who can get through to guys... or have the leadership in the room to handle that. The Rangers didn't have that type of leadership... so you can see it falling apart. I'm more concerned about the soft guys who are just happy to make an NHL pay check.

I think there's far too many of those right now.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He is... the guy is a very good fit with those two. Passing skills are there, and they're playing him on LW... where he wasn't that great with the Rangers. His role is to get physical... create space for Kuch and Steve... screen the goalie.. look for rebounds... and get open when they cycle. All of his strengths.

Makes sense... guy marches to the beat of his own drum... management got rid of both guys that were anti-AV this year... which concerns me about his retention next year.

You need a coach who can get through to guys... or have the leadership in the room to handle that. The Rangers didn't have that type of leadership... so you can see it falling apart. I'm more concerned about the soft guys who are just happy to make an NHL pay check.

I think there's far too many of those right now.

The reason I was against moving McDonagh was because they had no one in house who could become a #1 Dman. Well, they traded him him and it means that, more than likely they’re taking a Dman with their top pick...one with top pairing upside, be it Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson or Wilde. It’s also why I don’t believe they’ll make the playoffs next year, even with a new coach. The defense has a long way to go.

As for Miller, he’s turning into the player I thought he could be, but there are other issues. Whereas, in the case of Kreider, Hayes and Zibanejad, they seem to be relishing the opportunity to become leaders, Miller appears to be a player the Rangers did not want to be a part of the upcoming rebuild.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The reason I was against moving McDonagh was because they had no one in house who could become a #1 Dman. Well, they traded him him and it means that, more than likely they’re taking a Dman with their top pick...one with top pairing upside, be it Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson or Wilde. It’s also why I don’t believe they’ll make the playoffs next year, even with a new coach. The defense has a long way to go.

As for Miller, he’s turning into the player I thought he could be, but there are other issues. Whereas, in the case of Kreider, Hayes and Zibanejad, they seem to be relishing the opportunity to become leaders, Miller appears to be a player the Rangers did not want to be a part of the upcoming rebuild.

I think Zibs, Hayes & Kreider are playing pressure free hockey.... and it's maybe liberating for them... which I don't see it as a plus... I think there is a greater need for character in the room... and it's great if it's coming from those three... but I don't see those guys as captain material. The GM wouldn't come out and publicly repeat the need for character in the organization if it was there.

Ty Smith might fit the bill... he's in that Provarov mold of a player... not a big player... but incredibly smart... and the type of guy that can skate and shutdown the 5'11" to 6'1" high speed, high skill forwards.

I'd prefer the right shot... I'd go for 3 RH shots with the three 1sts. Wahlstrom/Bouchard/Dobson/Bokk/Kraut/Thomas etc...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think Zibs, Hayes & Kreider are playing pressure free hockey.... and it's maybe liberating for them... which I don't see it as a plus... I think there is a greater need for character in the room... and it's great if it's coming from those three... but I don't see those guys as captain material. The GM wouldn't come out and publicly repeat the need for character in the organization if it was there.

Ty Smith might fit the bill... he's in that Provarov mold of a player... not a big player... but incredibly smart... and the type of guy that can skate and shutdown the 5'11" to 6'1" high speed, high skill forwards.

I'd prefer the right shot... I'd go for 3 RH shots with the three 1sts. Wahlstrom/Bouchard/Dobson/Bokk/Kraut/Thomas etc...

There is a leadership void, (one which I believe Gorton created purposely), and all three have been eager to accept.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Miller is shooting at 24.3% with the Lightning FYI. That's not going to last.

I always think its funny when people use a stat like that to try to prove something. Obviously he's not going to keep this pace up, he's not prime Wayne Gretzky.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I Think you can pencil in LW next yr w Kreider , Namestnikov , Spooner , Vesey

I don't think you can pencil anything in for next season. What if the Rangers due pursue someone like a Domi, or sign a Kovalchuk? What if Andersson starts out on LW? What if the Rangers move up a get a player in the draft that can play right away, like Zadina? Too many variables to pencil any kind of lineup.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'd be shocked if both spooner and namestnikov are nyr next yr.

Honestly I'd be fine trading both for draft picks. Can u move spooner and a late first to Edmonton for their first? Can you move namestnikov and another late first to Dallas for their first?

I'd rather be picking something like 5 9 and 13 than 9 25 and 26

You can then seriously overhaul the entire club going forward and have cap space to take on a nightmare contract for a high draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad