Player Discussion Vladislav Namestnikov

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Finesse guy with an underrated defensive game. Not physical, per se, but not soft either. He will make a hit. Good speed, hands and takeaways. Could look to shoot more. Nice hands in tight. Has all the tools to produce better but, aside from riding shotgun to Stammer and Kucherov this year, has yet to do so since his 2011 draft. Not sure what it is, exactly, that has held him back. Could have been a depth casualty the last few years when guys like Killorn and Callahan were still taking top six minutes in Tampa and Kucherov/Stamkos/Palat/Johnson were all top six fixtures, but I worry that he won’t produce well here when he’s playing with much lesser talents. Could benefit from an expanded role though, maybe. I’m open minded toward his game because I see the potential, but I’m not expecting more than a 45pt player.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If somehow he helps bring over Rykov, shesty and the controversial Kovalchuk then he was worth it. As well as help mentor Buch. Another big question is will he put up points without elite wingers (unless he plays with kreider).

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Maybe think bigger picture and he helps bring over Kucherov next offseason.... That would be MASSIVE.
Keep tanking, bring in Kovy, and next offseason bring in EK and Kucherov? Instant cup favorites.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
What kind of player is he?

A very skilled offensive center. A reliable finisher with an impressive wrist shot. A good passer and playmaker. An excellent skater. Takes advantage of open space very well. Solid two-way. Needs to gain strength. (Matias Strozyk)

He also speaks fluent, perfect english.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He is also a RFA end of this season, and he can play both C and LW. :)
I really like him as a player really skilled - I`m so excited and I hope he can make the game in Vancouver on wednesday in less than 48 hours. And as Gorton mentioned hopefully it`s time to win some games again, and a great chance for our younger players who will try to prove that they can play in NHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What kind of player is he?

The kind that leads our team in scoring, apparently :laugh:

I'll give him a chance to impress. Miller was really inspiring at times but maddeningly inconsistent. We'll see if he fits better.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
He also speaks fluent, perfect english.

Pretty sure he grew up here or spent a lot his childhood here. But he really isn’t a C anymore. He can play it but it hasn’t been his role. His two way game is underrated. He’s got good hands and makes sneaky steals. Great speed.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Pretty sure he grew up here or spent a lot his childhood here. But he really isn’t a C anymore. He can play it but it hasn’t been his role. His two way game is underrated. He’s got good hands and makes sneaky steals. Great speed.
He could definitely be a Grabner replacement in that regard, a lot better hands than him too

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
He was moved off the first line to center the third line with Cally and kunitz. He's still a center I'm sure that's where he'll play here for awhile. That's where gorts invisions him. I agree he is probably better suited for the wing with his skill set but only time will tell. Much different situation here then the one he's used to thats for sure.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Consistency is an issue, and he's prone to some questionable decisions with the puck, but I think he's going to surprise people.

People got hung up on Kapanen, but to me Namestnikov's production is what everyone hoped Kapanen was going to find.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I've seen him alot when he played here. i like russians (duh) and i like this russian.

hes smallish. fast and creative. he's improved his defensive game to the point where he's very good away from the puck and can in fact shut down guys. he's a counter attacker type player and can make the smart pass on the tape with ease. he's good in all 3 zones and plays the pp. he's point producer and should flourish with more minutes here.

while many will say he's not a scorer, i can tell you his shot is money. he can pick it and his release is nhl scorer quick.

he can play the 2/3 c but he's better suited on the wing imo. his size and lack of mass weakens his strengths and makes him less effective. he's a skill type winger imo and a solid add.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Consistency is an issue, and he's prone to some questionable decisions with the puck, but I think he's going to surprise people.

People got hung up on Kapanen, but to me Namestnikov's production is what everyone hoped Kapanen was going to find.

Sounds like we swapped Miller for Miller :D

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sounds like we swapped Miller for Miller :D

They are a lot closer than most people think.

Same age, same draft class, same moments that make you smile, same moments that make you facepalm.

I think Namestnikov is more naturally gifted offensively, when he's on. I think Miller does more besides offense when he's on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->