Player Discussion: Vladislav Namestnikov

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
That's fine, so does Carle and Witkowski, while Nesterov isn't ready for a full 82 games in the NHL. We have no better options especially on the right side. Folin isn't much of an upgrade if any.

i really like folin i did before he went to minn and i think hes a huge upgrade to sustr

we can agree to disagree everyday i hope for a sustr arrival i havent saw it yet but maybe one day the size matches the talent thats the hope:)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i saw offer i kinda like folin would have to ask for a pick myself for vladdy

id seriously consider this folins offense hasnt shown up yet but think hes an upgrade to sustr already big kid 210 6 ' 3 so got the right size is smooth guy i like him so would be an interest righty if offense came he could be a four staple on right side

Still would not move vladdy we don't know if Johnson, stamkos, palat or kucherov are staying long term?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i really like folin i did before he went to minn and i think hes a huge upgrade to sustr

we can agree to disagree everyday i hope for a sustr arrival i havent saw it yet but maybe one day the size matches the talent thats the hope:)
Robert I think the issue is Matt carle more then sustr. Sustr is still young mistakes will still happen but no excuse with carle he is a vet.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Robert I think the issue is Matt carle more then sustr. Sustr is still young mistakes will still happen but no excuse with carle he is a vet.

we need a scape goat i get that but 100 games of sustr ive seen zero upside

everyone gets that carle had an awful year with contract but if was lower salary would be few complaints truthfully he was a mesa after injury the contract is wayyyy more then his worth

yet he does his job he is not even comparable to the train wreck that is sustr

matt carle is a very good low pairing guy who can step up to 22 minutes a game

sustr has not developed into a kid who deserves over 12 even with his physical attributes which should make him a great defender he 100% comes out short is no comparison to matt carle and andrej sustr ive seen nothing so far that say sustr is even a bottom pairing defender besides hes huge the rest hockey iq positioning over pinching skating etc.. is below par of a true number 5 or 6 defender

i hope since we are trying so hard to make it work for him he gets his act together but i personally doubt it

im ready to put nesterov koekkoek witkowski all over him and move on and with that size reach etc.. man do i want this kid to succeed

ive always known what matt carle was i dont see a lot different except a good shot by garrison everyone is in love with him but his stats are cause he had power play and triplet time all year lol and his stats suck compared to the opportunity he was given i feel they are similar players if put carle blocking shots with garrison you have a very solid guy not great lol cause garrison missing the barn standing in water so often lol

im not high on either guy both paid too much this board will disagree fell in love with garrison but he was riding on wave that is the triplets lol and everything fans of florida or vancouver said about his issues with hitting the net etc. its dammed true lol

coburn i flat out like cause he attacks guys as they enter the zone and plays a physical game to me he is the perfect five guy with nesterov at six

means somehow garrison and carle need to play right as 3 and 4s and personally i believe that would work out pretty good

garrison leading offense carle being more back

bench sustr or give him little time till he steps up

nesterov stepped up slater seems ready to step up i dont get coopers dogheadiness of playing carle with sustr giving them so much time not letting nesterov play more etc...

sustr is a whatever hes not excelling for what he should be and maybe it takes 2-3 more years and he becomes legit i dont have that much patience when have the koekkoek's masins tony d's or the world move the hell on

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I was worried during and after last season's playoffs. But the off-season did him well, the kid's in the driver seat no matter what line you throw him on.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's playing really well, but I'm still not sold. There are still instances where he bounces off guys, or gets handled like a child against the boards. There's never been a question about his skillset. But he's almost 23. He should be stronger by now.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I am a fan. From "maybe they're trying to up his value" to "wow, the kid plays on that 1st line for a reason". Vlad knows when and where to be on the ice and despite the fact that he is still more of a lightweight out there he goes to the dirty areas to make things happen. Got rewarded twice last game and I love it.

It's really been a while since I've seen a player turn it around so quickly (from horrible at the end of last season to consistently awesome this season).

Also, it's pretty obvious they're grooming him for a bigger role in case we have to let go an established player due to cap hell this off-season. Just in case. Seems to work out either way though.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I am a fan. From "maybe they're trying to up his value" to "wow, the kid plays on that 1st line for a reason". Vlad knows when and where to be on the ice and despite the fact that he is still more of a lightweight out there he goes to the dirty areas to make things happen. Got rewarded twice last game and I love it.

It's really been a while since I've seen a player turn it around so quickly (from horrible at the end of last season to consistently awesome this season).

Also, it's pretty obvious they're grooming him for a bigger role in case we have to let go an established player due to cap hell this off-season. Just in case. Seems to work out either way though.

He's a skilled north-south player, which is something we kind of need (outside of TKO). We have a lot of skill east west players. He does fill a hole.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he had a little bit more vision, I think he'd be a blue chipper. There are a lot of times when his skating opens up some easy plays, but he only sees the action directly in front of him. It's like tunnel vision. That's probably why his ceiling is a 2C.

I'm still not sold on him because of the strength issues. Or, more specifically, how long they've been going on. I think we have to see him in some tough physical games before we can fully commit to him going forward. For instance, I wouldn't be opposed to a Filppula trade, but that's not so much because of Vladdy as it is Paquette, or maybe even the combination of them. I guess what I mean is I wouldn't be comfortable moving forward with Vladdy if we didn't have some kind of safety net (Paquette).

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
To sum it up, Vladdy took the Drouin/Flip route instead of trying to play like a Callahan. He'll never be a player with above strength in the NHL, but him taking advantage of his skating and agility to find open space has been the difference maker so far. He's starting to look like a top 6 forward and that's really nice.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
To sum it up, Vladdy took the Drouin/Flip route instead of trying to play like a Callahan. He'll never be a player with above strength in the NHL, but him taking advantage of his skating and agility to find open space has been the difference maker so far. He's starting to look like a top 6 forward and that's really nice.

we always said he would be the guy to push Filppula of the team. And he certainly has the chance to do so now. Flip isn't playing good and he gets the time he needs to show what he can.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Not sure who is the better option at future 3rd C

Paquette definitely looks better at C than wing

Agree about Namestnikov on the vision thing, He has the skill to be a 2 way puck carrying C

He may fit best here as a 2-way sniping winger. Would like to see him with Johnson and Kucherov. It could free up Palat to play with Stamkos

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Jekyll and Hyde still - has a good night, has a bad night, has a good night, has a bad night. Other issue is his shooting percentage, once the "new-shiny" wears off and hes not shooting 23% anymore, we'll see how productive he really is.

I'm stumped at how bad the third/fourth line have been, as well as Coburn. The effort level is there for them, but there is no cohesion.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Best gif. Ever.

this is awesome lol shows hes got a sense of humor and probably one of the pranksters on the team:)

looking at this the sustr comments ouch did he ever prove me wrong finally:)

i remember when said vladdy would be our next palat though so be right more than wrong

this team absolutely knows what its doing its like it all turns to gold even when starts as a giraffe or the ugly duckling everything just comes out roses lmao

is quite a testament to this organization and says a lot of my own personal belief in being the wannabee GM lol

id have given up on sustr and now to me i have really no complaints hes playing very well

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
this is awesome lol shows hes got a sense of humor and probably one of the pranksters on the team:)

looking at this the sustr comments ouch did he ever prove me wrong finally:)

i remember when said vladdy would be our next palat though so be right more than wrong

this team absolutely knows what its doing its like it all turns to gold even when starts as a giraffe or the ugly duckling everything just comes out roses lmao

is quite a testament to this organization and says a lot of my own personal belief in being the wannabee GM lol

id have given up on sustr and now to me i have really no complaints hes playing very well

I agree Johnson and vladdy are going to be great as our top two centers next season with drouin on there wing!

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I agree Johnson and vladdy are going to be great as our top two centers next season with drouin on there wing!

I like those guys as our top two centers as long as everybody's healthy. But I'm concerned about Johnson's durability longterm, and if he goes down at any point we suddenly get VERY thin up the middle. That's assuming that Stamkos and Filppula are both gone - the latter both due to his declining play and because Coop will never let Namestnikov be a consistent 2C as long as Filppula is still around.

Once Point comes up we'll have some more depth at the position, but until then if Johnson goes down in this hypothetical situation who takes his place in the top 6? Paquette? Marchessault?

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
On second thought Marchessault is almost certainly signing somewhere else this summer where he can actually play. So he won't be an option.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vladdy's talent is being wasted on the the 4th line. Prefer to see him on the 2nd or 3rd line. Because he is a two way forward he would more than fine on the 3rd line if needed to shutdown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->