Vladimir Tarasenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

sub_zero94

Jan 26, 2007
Anyone know when he'll be coming over to play for the Blues?

Any Blues fans know whats going on with Tarasenko?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do in the show, thats why i ask

frankielax

Nov 25, 2008
Los Angeles via STL
He is gonna play one more year in Russia to finish up his contract. It was a pretty surprising decision based on all indications leading up to it, but he wants to be an impact player when he gets here, not just a young guy who might or might not fit right into the lineup. He should get top 6 minutes at Sibir and hopefully improve on his numbers/play then be ready to make the Blues out of camp next year. If he doesn't come over next summer, then i'm going to start to worry.

4thliner*

You gotta aviod players like Vladimir Tarasenko in the 1st round.

Players who aren't franchise level talents at 17 playing in Russia i.e. players who aren't like Mikhail Grigorenko or Ovechkin, or even better case those franchise level talents playing in the CHL like Nail Yakupov or Alex Galchenyuk

avoid the rest of the Russian players like the plague in round 1.

If you are 100% confident the 18 year old you draft will make your team in a walk in October then by all means take him even if he is playing in Russia. But if he isn't good enough to do so and is already making big money in Russia, no way he is gonna ride long buses in the AHL and leave home for that. And it is in human nature, nothing against Russians. I would do the same thing. It makes perfect financial and social sense.

Even players that already play in the CHL but aren't a sure bet to make the NHL in a year or 2 are a big risk when you are talking about spending even a late 1st round pick.

Ranger482

Jun 30, 2010
St. Louis, MO
When/if he comes over next year he will be in the NHL. Let him develop another year at Sibir's expense. Can't blame him for wanting to finish his contract and come into the NHL hoping to be an impact player and calder hopeful. :thumbu:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He's going to be a special player. He reminds me of Oshie with more offensive talent, and that isn't a knock on Oshie because Oshie has loads of offensive talent. Vladdy just plays a tough, physical game like Oshie but I think has more offensive potential. Vladdy looks like a potential 40 goal scorer to me.

Thallis

Progression is not linear
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Players who aren't franchise level talents at 17 playing in Russia i.e. players who aren't like Mikhail Grigorenko or Ovechkin, or even better case those franchise level talents playing in the CHL like Nail Yakupov or Alex Galchenyuk

If you are 100% confident the 18 year old you draft will make your team in a walk in October then by all means take him even if he is playing in Russia. But if he isn't good enough to do so and is already making big money in Russia, no way he is gonna ride long buses in the AHL and leave home for that. And it is in human nature, nothing against Russians. I would do the same thing. It makes perfect financial and social sense.

Even players that already play in the CHL but aren't a sure bet to make the NHL in a year or 2 are a big risk when you are talking about spending even a late 1st round pick.

That's Tarasenko. Leading up to the draft everyone said he would have been top 5 if he weren't Russian.

Kershaw

Guess this applies with your boy Filatov too.

As for Tarasenko, well I haven't seen him play much but in my limited viewing in the WJC, he looked really good.

mizzoublues29

Unregistered User
Apr 10, 2009
Columbia, MO

The Blues also drafted Jaden Schwartz in the first round. They could afford to take this supposed risk with Tarasenko.

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
The Blues also drafted Jaden Schwartz in the first round. They could afford to take this supposed risk with Tarasenko.

Exactly. With as deep as the Blues with depth on the blue line in the organization they could afford to move Runbland and take the risk with Tarasenko.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Guess this applies with your boy Filatov too.

As for Tarasenko, well I haven't seen him play much but in my limited viewing in the WJC, he looked really good.

Well it's a good thing we didn't use a first or second rounder to get him then.

Kershaw

Well it's a good thing we didn't use a first or second rounder to get him then.

The poster I quoted kept on stuffing down our throats that Filatov was ranked the most talented player in his draft year, I think he used the Russian factor comparison only because he was traded for prospect David Rundblad as a way to try and prove that the trade worked out very well in Ottawa's favour and not St.Louis's. All of his posts reeks with biased homerism towards senators prospects.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Gonna laugh if he turns into a Filatov 2.0

The effort and physicality of Filatov and Tarasenko are worlds apart. Tarasenko plays a similar game to Ovie...going around or through defenders at all costs. His top end skill/all around game aren't quite in Ovie territory, but it's much, much higher than Filatov. The guy has been playing a physical style with men for the last 2 years.

Relevant

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The effort and physicality of Filatov and Tarasenko are worlds apart. Tarasenko plays a similar game to Ovie...going around or through defenders at all costs. His top end skill/all around game aren't quite in Ovie territory, but it's much, much higher than Filatov. The guy has been playing a physical style with men for the last 2 years.

Relevant

He's worse as a pure goalscorer than Ovy, but his playmaking and leadership are better. And I think he's a better backcheckers as well...

As to Filatov, the guy will still be able to turn into a 30-40 g scorer. Nobody knows...

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
He's worse as a pure goalscorer than Ovy, but his playmaking and leadership are better. And I think he's a better backcheckers as well...

As to Filatov, the guy will still be able to turn into a 30-40 g scorer. Nobody knows...

Wow I didn't know that , Ovie is already a captain in the NHL an is always in the top 10 in assists, but maybe you're right....

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Tarasenko should be with the Blues next season. He could've been this season but he thought one more year with Sibir would make it that much easier to make an impact in the NHL when he comes over. He didn't want to be the typical struggling 19 yr old rookie. He'll be 20 instead and while that's not that much if a difference, he's hoping 1 more year of development before entering the NHL will be good for him. He typically only got 3rd line minutes and little PP time with Sibir that past 2 seasons but it sounds like he'll likely get prime icetime this season and that could be very good for him and his development.

In regards to drafting Russians, I think it's fairly silly to make blanket statements like "avoid them like the plague in the 1st round". Every kid is different so you make your evaluation based each individual player. Regarding Russians who play their Jr hockey in the CHL, I will remind folks that KHL leading scorer Radulov played his Jr hockey in the OHL but is now back in Russia. It's rare and I do consider Russian draftees playing in the CHL as safer than those still playing in Russia but any of them can go back at anytime no matter where they played their Jr hockey. The key is to get to know each individual player and base your evaluations on that and not just eliminate all Russians from your draft board because you're too lazy to do your homework on a kid who has the ability to be a high impact NHLer.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I just want to point out that even if you draft an North American who plays in the junior leagues in the first round, they will likely not make a solid NHL team for at least three years.

So Tarasenko making the Blues at 20 years old is probably about what would be expected even if he played in the junior leagues in Canada.

I'd rather have my team drafting talent that is going to make the NHL than avoiding players just because their contract status is "iffy"

TheBakester66

Jun 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
Being a homer, and a massive Tarasenko fan, i'm a tad biased here. But i still think i'm right. Tarasenko could have been an impact forward in the NHL this season. But like others have said, he may have struggled here and there, and ended up between 35 and 45 pts in a rookie campaign. I can't blame the Blues nor Tarasenko for letting him finish out his contract. Now that he has finally earned his playing time there, the KHL is actually a better environment for him to develop in, and it's certainly better than the AHL. He is on the cusp of breaking through in the KHL, and may even eclipse a pt/gp next season. If he does that (or near that) he'll be primed to guarantee himself a top 6 spot, if not a top 3 spot in 2012-13. Either way, he'll certainly be NHL ready in 2012-13 because he doesn't have the glaring flaws in his defensive game that guys like Zherdev and Filatov have that have cost them playing time. And yes, I agree with all the Ovechkin like comparisons. His offensive skills are nowhere near Ovechkins, but they don't have to be for Tarasenko to be extremely valuable to the Blues. What I do see comparisons to are the way he elevates his game and makes everyone around him try harder (much like Oshie), i think he's going to fit in right away with the Backes/Oshie's of the world. And I do think he'll be a strong calder candidate as long as Kuznetsov, Yakupov, and Grigorenko don't steal his thunder. Ultimately, Tarasenko is the extremely talented winger that we've been looking for in St. Louis for some time. I think he'll be capable of 55-75 pts in a rookie season in 2012-13 if all goes well in the KHL this season.

TheBakester66

Jun 11, 2009
St. Louis, MO, USA
I just want to point out that even if you draft an North American who plays in the junior leagues in the first round, they will likely not make a solid NHL team for at least three years.

So Tarasenko making the Blues at 20 years old is probably about what would be expected even if he played in the junior leagues in Canada.

I'd rather have my team drafting talent that is going to make the NHL than avoiding players just because their contract status is "iffy"

Thank you for this comment. Completely agreed. What's more is that when the Russians do come over from the KHL they are usually much more productive out of the gates than their CHL peers.

-Chris

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I really like Tarasenko, though admittedly I've only been able to watch full games of his at the last two WJCs. He has a game built for North American hockey IMO, he's very strong on his skates, seems unafraid of contact (huge difference from Filatov here), great hands, quite a good skater (not a "beautiful" stride, but very good acceleration and a solid, wide stance), fairly high all around skill level and a beauty of a shot, he's not one of these "all flash, no substance guys" that get teams in trouble, he does his work quickly and efficiently. Filatov and Zherdev comparisons are unwarranted IMO, he plays nothing like them. I see his upside as a sort of Radulov/Kulemin hybrid, mid way between the two in terms of skill, hustle, strength on skates, etc., hopefully with more of a Kulemin type personality.

There's always a risk with Russian players that they won't come over, but for guys with Tarasenko's potential, they generally DO come to the NHL. He's also had a few injuries, but I don't think they've been too bad - broken orbital bone and a not-too-severe shoulder injury if I remember correctly? If he comes over and is healthy, I'd be pretty excited about him as a Blues fan, seems like a very legit NHL talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->