Vladimir Konstantinov and his untold battle after fateful limo crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Man whenever something comes out about this I still have trouble believing it. I still don't get the gofund me though. Especially with the article confirming he has been insured under Michigan's catastrophic no-fault claims insurance. After making millions and millions of dollars how is he in danger of running out of money for care? The interest alone on a 4 million dollar nest egg should cover that kind of 24 hour care.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Man whenever something comes out about this I still have trouble believing it. I still don't get the gofund me though. Especially with the article confirming he has been insured under Michigan's catastrophic no-fault claims insurance. After making millions and millions of dollars how is he in danger of running out of money for care? The interest alone on a 4 million dollar nest egg should cover that kind of 24 hour care.

Wtf are you talking about? Who ever said he made millions and millions? His last year in the NHL was 22 years ago.

Do research if you are suspicious.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Excuse me? He wasn't making ovechkin money but his contract was 2 mill a season at the time of the accident, and sports players usually insure their contract, not to mention the limo company was found liable in the accident who also would have been insured and if not everything would go under no fault at that time. So I ask the question agian for someone who had a 7 figure salary, why is there a go fund me?

Reactions: RedWingsDad

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Excuse me? He wasn't making ovechkin money but his contract was 2 mill a season at the time of the accident, and sports players usually insure their contract, not to mention the limo company was found liable in the accident who also would have been insured and if not everything would go under no fault at that time. So I ask the question agian for someone who had a 7 figure salary, why is there a go fund me?

I'll ask you again, if you are so curious and knowledgeable, why dont you do some research and get back to us?

Maybe the gofundme is a scam. Maybe its super necessary to maintain Vladdy's standard of care.

Both seem plausible, but your evidence so far is a salary figure from 22 years ago? What in the world?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Its pre cap an in some respects early internet era so information is not all that available. But it's not outlandish to inquire for someone with multi-year 7 figure salaries and insurance options that should plausibly be available to them why is it "wtf" worthy to ask what happened to the money? 2-4 million 1997 dollars could pull some cash annually if invested right and that is assuming no insurance has been available to him over the course of the rehabilitation. So what is the go fund me for, who has been in charge of his money over the years? If you want donations how about some numbers on why his money ran out. Not being critical because I think there is foul play, just curious what happened to the money?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Its pre cap an in some respects early internet era so information is not all that available. But it's not outlandish to inquire for someone with multi-year 7 figure salaries and insurance options that should plausibly be available to them why is it "wtf" worthy to ask what happened to the money? 2-4 million 1997 dollars could pull some cash annually if invested right and that is assuming no insurance has been available to him over the course of the rehabilitation. So what is the go fund me for, who has been in charge of his money over the years? If you want donations how about some numbers on why his money ran out. Not being critical because I think there is foul play, just curious what happened to the money?

The wtf is in regards to your inability to fathom an alternative scenario.

22 years is a long time. Insurance isnt perfect. His condition is incredibly rare. The years following the accident were riddled with familial grief and turmoil. Etc. Etc.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
At what point did I say no alternative scenario was possible? Why am I getting flamed for asking the question? How does a person who was a multimillionaire at the time of the accident, surrounded by multimillionaires belonging to a billion-dollar organization with routes to insurance coverage, have a go fund me?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
At what point did I say no alternative scenario was possible? Why am I getting flamed for asking the question? How does a person who was a multimillionaire at the time of the accident, surrounded by multimillionaires belonging to a billion-dollar organization with routes to insurance coverage, have a go fund me?

My guess is a lot of people saw a chance to make lots of money on Vladdie, recommended expensive therapy and burned through cash quick.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Look at this shit.
"The shirts will be sold at Little Caesars Arena and through his website ($24.99 presale) and $5 from every sale will go to Vladdy’s trust."

Tshirts cost what? $9? So this guy is giving $5 from a $25 tshirt to Vladdie?
Gotta make money off the disabled hero, right?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Maybe because they ran out of f***ing money paying medical bills? Read the GoFundMe, it's f***ing heartbreaking, it was made by his wife.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
His wife that moved the family to Florida? on who's income? Did she restructure the family's standard of living to adjust for a new lifestyle accommodating his care? When Fedorov was scammed out of millions it made the news, when McCarty blew his millions on gambling it made the news. I never heard of Vald's money being scammed. If the medical bills just hit the bottom line until it was all gone that is sad AF. But did the people close to him prioritize family's money for his care? Did they manage it well? If you donate to that gofund me you could just be subsidizing the lifestyle of his family's standard of living they unrealistically kept given his injury.

It's a terrible situatoin no matter how it turned out I am not insinuating an accusation. I am not even saying it's unlikely his care outpaced his savings. I am just putting it out there, how did his money run out. A million dollars is not a small sum of money if it is managed. If someone did mismanage his money I feel like that should be news. If not that should also be news so we are not sitting here scratching our heads when asked to donate.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So because of a bunch of wild conjecture on your part founded on no solid information, this seems shady to you?

According to what I can find, Vladdy made roughly $3.3 million in his career, which ended 22 years ago. Fetisov, Konstantinov and Mnatsakanov all sued the limo company, whose insurance policy had a $2 million limit. Divide that by three. Subtract legal costs. Because their lawsuit exceeded the limit of the policy Gnida and the limo company said the Wings insurers should pay for it since it was their event. The New Jersey Supreme court (where the insurance companies were based) ruled the Wings insurance policies did not cover the limo or driver. So all those legal costs yielded no compensation for the accident.

Then there's how much you're massively underestimating how much 24 hour care costs, and overestimating the interest on a million dollars.

In short, do some research and maybe find some answers if you're so suspicious of this GoFundMe.

Last edited:

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Former and current Red Wings people of his time should go together and do something about this. Alternatively the Illitch-family should take care of Konstantinov's costs.

Reactions: Goalie guy

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
So because of a bunch of wild conjecture on your part founded on no solid information, this seems shady to you?

According to what I can find, Vladdy made roughly $3.3 million in his career, which ended 22 years ago. Fetisov, Konstantinov and Mnatsakanov all sued the limo company, whose insurance policy had a $2 million limit. Divide that by three. Subtract legal costs. Because their lawsuit exceeded the limit of the policy Gnida and the limo company said the Wings insurers should pay for it since it was their event. The New Jersey Supreme court (where the insurance companies were based) ruled the Wings insurance policies did not cover the limo or driver. So all those legal costs yielded no compensation for the accident.

Then there's how much you're massively underestimating how much 24 hour care costs, and overestimating the interest on a million dollars.

In short, do some research and maybe find some answers if you're so suspicious of this GoFundMe.

I have first-hand experience of how much 24-hour care costs and I am close enough to a few people who have no income other than what their investments bring in. A 2-3 million dollar investment is more than enough to cover 24-hour care even without dipping into principal. I never said it's not possible that the money ran out. Stuff happens. But the existence of a go fund me leaves a trail back to someone at fault if you ask me. The system failed if he has no coverage, someone failed if he has no money, his teammates and organization failed not setting up some kind of foundation. If the public is the last resort I don't fault the family for setting up a go fund me. I just think that is quite a trail of failures to have gotten there.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Have you ever received a medical bill? I had to be $408 for a blood test. I was in the office 20 minutes tops. A tech probably spent minutes doing the test. Insurance deemed it not necessary.

Imagine the bills that pile up over two decades for 24/7 care.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
I have first-hand experience of how much 24-hour care costs and I am close enough to a few people who have no income other than what their investments bring in. A 2-3 million dollar investment is more than enough to cover 24-hour care even without dipping into principal. I never said it's not possible that the money ran out. Stuff happens. But the existence of a go fund me leaves a trail back to someone at fault if you ask me. The system failed if he has no coverage, someone failed if he has no money, his teammates and organization failed not setting up some kind of foundation. If the public is the last resort I don't fault the family for setting up a go fund me. I just think that is quite a trail of failures to have gotten there.
Gnida was at fault,end of story

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
For sure he doesn't go to clubs or expensive restaurants. Health care in USA is just crazy expensive, especially for people like Vladimir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad