Blue Jays Discussion: Vlad Jr wait/watch II: Watch Harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
With a released player, what do the guarantees in the contract look like? Do jays pay full remaining?

Agreed that it is good regardless, don't really need him around.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
all relative to money brought in by franchises. TV deals were not in the billion dollars. Tickets didn't cost you 100 for a good seat. Beer wasn't $15.

Right, so a 2-3 year contract back then is as risky as a 6-10 year contract today? Super relative to the money brought in of course, not taking into account the Jays were dominating attendance numbers long before they captured the top payroll spot in 1993.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
:sarcasm: Rogers eating $38 million well there goes my Rogers is cheap narrative......what else can I slag Rogers about....oh yeah high internet cost and cell phone plans and don't get me started on ridiculous pricing on TV. Oh boy I am glad I am a cord cutter cause you are going to see a TULO tax on your next Rogers bill. $3 on every bill next month to offset the $38 million owed.

On a serious note good on the team for realizing he could be a cancer in the room this year if he wasn't able to play SS. 1st good move these 2 morons have made as executives of the Jays.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
lol yesterday they said hed be on the roster. today, released. I love Shatkins. never tell the truth. I wouldnt either.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
With a released player, what do the guarantees in the contract look like? Do jays pay full remaining?

Agreed that it is good regardless, don't really need him around.

MLB deals are 100% guaranteed.

So Rogers owes Tulo the full 38 million.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Does Atlanta need a shortstop? ;)

Joking aside, all in all, while I'm not enamoured with what this current front office has done in their tenure, if they're going to completely overhaul this thing, then do it properly. This is a definitive step in that direction.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
:sarcasm: Rogers eating $38 million well there goes my Rogers is cheap narrative......what else can I slag Rogers about....oh yeah high internet cost and cell phone plans and don't get me started on ridiculous pricing on TV. Oh boy I am glad I am a cord cutter cause you are going to see a TULO tax on your next Rogers bill. $3 on every bill next month to offset the $38 million owed.

On a serious note good on the team for realizing he could be a cancer in the room this year if he wasn't able to play SS. 1st good move these 2 morons have made as executives of the Jays.
I love how it takes spending $38 million for literally nothing to classify as a good move . Almost like spending is all you want lol

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
why would a cheap team eat all 3 years of the contract...i mean at least if you wait 2 years theres a buy out in the 3rd year to save some money...jeeze your gonna pay him everything anyways, mind as well have him here, who knows maybe he can get you 50-80 games which is fine

i mean this is a rich team, i dont care about money move...and if your gonna make rich team, i dont care about money moves...you better pay up for some decent free agents

what your gonna spend millions releasing a guy but not spend millions on players to help your team?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
At least he was in on the talk and made moves brought the team some postseason play. I don't see anything from these 2 idiots that inspire confidence they can bring a playoff team to Toronto unless they get out of their CLE mentality of small market. There was a reason Shapiro was brought in cause Rogers knew he was experienced in small market places, budget places.

Yes, dry humping at least gives the vibe of trying. I get it.

As for a top 10 payroll in 2018 that is bloated by Tulo, Donaldson and Martin making $61 million of the $150 million payroll. Payroll this year is 22nd with the Arb players needing to be signed and that will leave then under the league average.

Never referenced payroll. I'm fine with payroll being low given the stage of development.

I get there is a rebuild going on but you can still ad premier talent all the while rebuilding. Why can't the team accelerate the rebuild. Vlad, Bichette, Jansen and Pearson are the main headliners and there is a ton of infield prospects that can be flipped for pitching or getting a stud OF.

Do you?

Again signing FA's are just part of the rebuild. Trading lower level prospects for near MLB talent can be done. Find teams that have crappy farm systems and propose a deal to help re-stock their farm systems. Tigers with Castellanos those kind of deals where teams are looking to restock their farm system. You also got guys like Pillar, Travis who can be moved for pitching or near MLB level prospects who can then be flipped for needs.

I mean...ok. Let's say as an example the Blue Jays acquired Nick Castellanos via trade (for Kevin Smith) and signed Dallas Keuchel....then go on to win 80 games. I see no benefit...whatsoever. Best case, those two players are still able to contribute in 2021 when Vlad\Bo are contributing (hopefully) at a high level.

Or better yet what is the rebuild to folks out there? what is everyone rebuild plan. How does this team get better in the next 2-3 years?

Player development? Coupled with intelligent acquisitions, through various avenues, that align with your window.

We have Vlad, Pearson, Jansen and Bichette. Who else do you wait for in the minors to come along to play with those 4 guys? Who is near ready to join them? Biggio? Alford? Are guys like Groshan, Kevin Smith that close or good enough to supplant Vlad and Biggio at their positions? You have a glut of middle infield players that can be used to add right now to the core of the team and bolster a roster today for the futur.

You have nothing but hopes, dreams and the #1 prospect in baseball.

Do the Jays need to be bottom 10 for the next 3 years to get a 1st overall draft pick to fast track to the majors? The team is not bad enough to do that. You need to start building now this year adding pieces this winter that can help today, tomorrow and for the next few years down the road.

Answer to the first question is no. Your comments seem to suggest that the franchise is not currently building. It reeks of an odd, youthful impatience. As if you cannot wait a year or two to begin acquiring more appropriate pieces at a more appropriate time.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Might as well eat Martins deal for a prospect and Morales for the roster spot. Completely clear the deck for 2020.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
man we have rich owners, but cheap out on contracts, but then you pay 40mill for a guy to play for another team? lol are our guys in suits dumb? or is this a sign we finally spending more freely now

Reactions: trellaine201

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You’re not really “eating” 38m if the guy was gonna be paid it anyway and had no chance of being traded, right? This was to allow someone else the chance to compete on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad