Larry Brooks: Vitaly Kravtsov headed back to the KHL

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
I don't know what exactly went on down in Hartford but I felt like they weren't doing right by Kravtsov, healthy scratching and benching him constantly. Would have liked to see him play with Chytil but instead they bury him on the 4th line at times. Would like to see him play through his mistakes and gradually learn from them. Seemed like they prioritized wins in the short term over his development.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Is it not slightly concerning when other players such as Farabee are playing in the NHL and succeeding?

No, it’s not. Especially when we’re talking about teenagers AND when we’re talking about a kid who was seen as more of a long-term proposed when he was drafted.

The fact that we’re even having this discussion and that Kravtsov is in the conversation in 2019 is more significant than him not being ready yet.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is it not slightly concerning when other players such as Farabee are playing in the NHL and succeeding?

Why should what Farabee or any other prospect does have any bearing on Kravtsov? Every player matures at their own pace. Draft position means nothing once a player is drafted.

Last year at this time, Wahlstrom wasn't producing in college and everyone here was glad we didn't pick him, now we've got people saying Kravtsov is going back to the KHL while Walhstrom is in the NHL.

There are going to be ups and downs for every player. Whatever the reason, Kravtsov isn't ready. If he goes back to the KHL, gets more playing time, and works on the things he needs to work on, then it's a complete non-issue. The goal here is to make him the best player he can be, not try to justify his draft position in comparison to other players.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not a fan of this personally, but that's alright. Particularly if the central issue with him is personal. As in he was having a problem handling the AHL life on a personal level. Not all 19-year olds are ready to do something like ride the bus while maintaining solid personal and professional habits. Please let me be clear, if that's the issue... it's not a knock against him.

It's interesting that the Rangers could recall him. What happens if they do and want to reassign him again? He goes back to Russia?

Reactions: ponzu4u

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
This is not a good look for him. He’s better off learning the NA game and style of play. Suck it up. This makes him look like he’s entitled and hard to coach. What’s the big deal? Suck it up, ride the bus and work on your game and if you bang the doors down you’ll get called up soon enough. Instead he runs at the first sign of trouble. Not a good look. I guess I can call him Kraptsov for the time being.

Reactions: BroadwayBlues

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Why should what Farabee or any other prospect does have any bearing on Kravtsov? Every player matures at their own pace. Draft position means nothing once a player is drafted.

Last year at this time, Wahlstrom wasn't producing in college and everyone here was glad we didn't pick him, now we've got people saying Kravtsov is going back to the KHL while Walhstrom is in the NHL.

There are going to be ups and downs for every player. Whatever the reason, Kravtsov isn't ready. If he goes back to the KHL, gets more playing time, and works on the things he needs to work on, then it's a complete non-issue. The goal here is to make him the best player he can be, not try to justify his draft position in comparison to other players.

Funny how quickly these boards, all of them, change the status of prospects from blue chip to bust at a moment’s notice.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Whatever deficiencies the coaching staff has identified in his game, is he going to work on them in the KHL? Or is he just going to keep doing the things he did last year to make him successful? I have a feeling I know, but we'll see.

Whatever, Lias Andersson v2. And that's not a criticism of either player. I am growing tired of the way we're handling our young players. Blah.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This is not a good look for him. He’s better off learning the NA game and style of play. Suck it up. This makes him look like he’s entitled and hard to coach. What’s the big deal? Suck it up, ride the bus and work on your game and if you bang the doors down you’ll get called up soon enough. Instead he runs at the first sign of trouble. Not a good look. I guess I can call him Kraptsov for the time being.

Or you could recognize that however it looks from the outside, we really don't know the details, and try to judge the situation objectively.

Reactions: Lua

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I felt that he should have stayed in Hartford and worked through the growing pains. He wasn’t awful in preseason/training camp but he didn’t do enough to make the team. He took the demotion the wrong way rather than working hard to succeed at that level like Chytil has. Its a bit disappointing. I would have rather had him stay in Hartford close to NY learning the system and NA game. And if he got going he could be called up any time.

But at the end of the day this is not the end of the world. Not the end of his development. He has time. He just better play lights out for him to go back to the KHL to be “the man” there rather than stay here and show that he can dominate the AHL.

Reactions: 2Leetch_94

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Like I said, he's a 19-year old. He may legitimately not be capable of "sucking it up" as you put it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->