Vitali Kravtsov vs. Girgori Denisenko vs. Vasili Podkolzin

Which Russian winger prospect would you choose?

• Total voters

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Denisenko is a tier below the other two. Podkolzin wouldn't be able to come over for 2 years because new KHL rule change, do you factor that in?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Denisenko is a tier below the other two. Podkolzin wouldn't be able to come over for 2 years because new KHL rule change, do you factor that in?

You can if you want I don’t care. But pretty much every first rounder outside The top 5-7 picks need 2 years before being contributing NHLers anyway so I’m not sure why it scares people off in Podkolzins case.

Reactions: cgf

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think Kravtsov is a tier above either. I also think Denisenko is the clear 3rd here. Not sure how you can even argue him over the other two

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Is there a new rule change? I thought this is the same as its always been between nhl and khl?

I'm pretty sure this is new. There's some new thing where if a player goes over to NA from KHL, that KHL club loses the player's rights. And the thinking is, KHL teams will be more hesitant to let players go over before playing out their contract because they will lose the rights.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think its close between the three, but Kravtsov, Podkolzin, Denisenko in that order. Flip the last two, if you base it purely on potential.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Right now I’d say Kravtsov, but Podkolzin is what 18 months younger? It’ll be a close choice between those two.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I’m really not sure how people can take Denisenko over Kravtsov considering that Kravtsov blew Denisenko out stat wise in the same league, dominated the KHL playoffs last season, is 5 inches taller, and has a better all around game. Kravtsov also carried the line at the WJC and played as a C there. Denisenko also had 3 points in 4 MHL games this season where Kravtsov didn’t play. He played 1 MHL game in his draft year and scored 3 points. In his draft season Kravtsov also put up 7 points in 9 VHL games. Denisenko in his D+1 put up 3 in 6. The only thing Denisenko really has on him is his shot and he’s like 6 months younger. I’d love to see someone make a case for Denisenko. Not even bias here as I’ve never liked Denisenko since his draft year and Kravtsov finished 11th on my list

Reactions: The S5

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’m really not sure how people can take Denisenko over Kravtsov considering that Kravtsov blew Denisenko out stat wise in the same league, dominated the KHL playoffs last season, is 5 inches taller, and has a better all around game. Kravtsov also carried the line at the WJC and played as a C there. Denisenko also had 3 points in 4 MHL games this season where Kravtsov didn’t play. He played 1 MHL game in his draft year and scored 3 points. In his draft season Kravtsov also put up 7 points in 9 VHL games. Denisenko in his D+1 put up 3 in 6. The only thing Denisenko really has on him is his shot and he’s like 6 months younger. I’d love to see someone make a case for Denisenko. Not even bias here as I’ve never liked Denisenko since his draft year and Kravtsov finished 11th on my list

Because Deni has better hands & wheels, can be a demon on the forecheck, and plays a more NHL style game; even if he wasn't as far along in his draft year or as ready to play against men. Similar reasons to why I have Pod ahead of Kravtsov as well...and I wasn't high on Dorofeyev at all.

If I were ranking them as KHL prospects things would be different.

E:
Mind you I had a top 10 grade on Denisenko and had been hoping he'd become an Av all season, and gave Podkolzin a top 5 grade because I just love his game & mentality...he may have a longer path than some other prospects, but like Makar before him, I am convinced that this kid will do everything possible to polish his game like he needs to; the kid just oozes drive & leadership...so this is no slight to Kravtsov; whose selection at #9 I defended last summer when the "reach" cries were flying around HF.

...in fact, with him & K'Andre, you had my favorite duo of 1st round picks in recent drafts; as I liked Krav a lot (albeit not as much as Denisenko) & absolutely adored Miller. Lowkey won't be shocked if K'Andre ends up the 2nd best blueliner picked in last year's first round.

Last edited:

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Because Deni has better hands & wheels, is better against the puck, and plays a more NHL style game; even if he wasn't as far along in his draft year or as ready to play against men. Similar reasons to why I have Pod ahead of Kravtsov as well.

If I were ranking them as KHL prospects things would be different.
Yep. 100 percent agree

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
FWIW I understand if others see Rantanen-potential in Kravtsov and so take him here...I just don't think he's as dynamic a skater or has as special of hands as Mikko did, so I don't see the same superstar ceiling in him on the smaller ice. In the KHL this could be very different as the larger ice and more methodical style of play is much more befitting his game, while the more hectic & up-tempo game played on the smaller ice in NA favors more dogged & dynamic players like Pod & Deni.

...plus I just adore their play away from the puck; as both can absolutely hound the puck to force turnovers, on top of their exciting skills with the puck. Not that Kravtsov didn't do a fine job against the puck in his own right, but I don't see him being the kind of difference maker against the puck at the NHL level, that I see from the other two...at least not once all of these children have reached their primes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad