Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Consider for a second that if we can still count Kakko as a prospect, one of Lafreniere, Kakko or Shesterkin will, as a matter of coure, actually enter next season as the Rangers third ranked prospect.

Along those same lines, one of Kravtsov, Miller or Lunkqvist will have to be ranked sixth.

It wasn't long ago that Boo Nieves, Day, and Gropp were top prospects.

Reactions: Leetch3 and bl02

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Putting on weight is so freaking overblown. In the modern game less weight is better. He's going to fill out naturally.

Russians are like any other kids, some are man-strength younger and some are not. They train as hard if not harder than anyone.

Edit: Strength can easily be attained without putting on too much weight was my central point. He's going to gain weight regardless as he fills out.

Definitely, in Kravtsov’s case I think it’s more about growing into his body than adding 20-30 lbs.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
The Rangers have one of the top prospects in the KHL and one of the best D prospects in the world playing in the SHL. Yet neither is viewed as the top organizational prospect and both will be a spot further down the list after the draft in October. That's melting my brain a little bit.
Hallelujah!

Reactions: McSauer and Trxjw

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Is the KHL always this slow?
It's a slower game, for sure. That's always part of the adjustment for guys coming over--and why guys over here with really good skills who were just a tick too slow in how they read and reacted to the game, can often find success overseas.

The pace of the game is the biggest thing, in my estimation, that separates guys who can play in the NHL from guys who can't. The jump in pace is big coming from everywhere, including the AHL.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Nothing compares to NHL speed. It’s not like slightly faster it’s considerably faster than the next closest two leagues. That adjustment is the biggest thing. And it’s not necessarily adjusting to foot speed. It’s a matter of can you slow the game down in your head enough to be impactful at that level.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm already looking forward to the arguments 3-4 years from now that the Rangers build a cup contender through the draft in spite of Gordie Clark instead of with his help.

My hope is that we judge the Rangers by what they’ve done since 2017 and use that to grade Clark and Gorton.

In two to three years there will be no arguments about draft position, about the differences between top 10 picks vs. picks in the later first, or players taken first or second overall compared to 9th or 10th. No one can say the Rangers didn’t have a plethora of picks.

One way or the other, this board will have its answer.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nothing compares to NHL speed. It’s not like slightly faster it’s considerably faster than the next closest two leagues. That adjustment is the biggest thing. And it’s not necessarily adjusting to foot speed. It’s a matter of can you slow the game down in your head enough to be impactful at that level.

Yep. And the same is true for the WHL, OHL, QMJHL, AHL, USHL, SHL, Liiga etc. That final step up to the NHL is always the hardest

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yes - Fox would count (forgot about him for a minute).

Yes - Having Lundkvist 5th and Miller 7th is the height of insanity.

Yes - Taking a player 22nd overall and still have him be (at best) your 8th ranked prospect is amazing.

Yes - We need to appreciate that one of Wall, Barron, Reunanen, Henriksson, Jones, Robertson, or our 2020 22nd overall pick might not even make our top 13 list and our current prospect depth is unlike anything this franchise has seen in about 30 years.
Fire gorton.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kravtsov's linemates are doing him no favors.

He had a rough start to the period but his last 2 shifts have been much better. Severstal looks like a pretty good team too.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think this tends to be a forgotten element --- strength vs. weight.

If Kravtsov is "only" 200 pounds, but his strength/skill combination is hard to contain, that's fine. He doesn't need to be 210 or 220.

no doubt. They're still invariably tied together, you get to a point where you have to add weight if you want more strength, but take Crosby for example. He's probably 200 pounds max but one of the stronger guys on his edges and impossible to knock off the puck down low.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I will never forget when I got the chance to play against 2 retired NHLers a few years back. I had played with and against some great players over the years, but these guys, who were 4th liners for their careers, were almost playing a different sport. They were faster physically for sure, but it was the always being where they needed to be that was crazy. Puck coming up the wall, boom there they are, picking the puck up to start a breakout, boom they are already on top of you. It was like they were 3 people in one. Its hard to really explain it. You have to experience it. Its the relentlessness of it that is jaw dropping.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I will never forget when I got the chance to play against 2 retired NHLers a few years back. I had played with and against some great players over the years, but these guys, who were 4th liners for their careers, were almost playing a different sport. They were faster physically for sure, but it was the always being where they needed to be that was crazy. Puck coming up the wall, boom there they are, picking the puck up to start a breakout, boom they are already on top of you. It was like they were 3 people in one. Its hard to really explain it. You have to experience it. Its the relentlessness of it that is jaw dropping.

I wonder if we as mere mortals would be able to see the difference between playing NHL 4th liners and superstars since the 4th liners seem like superstars already. The 4th liners are a lot further from us than superstars are from 4th liners in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad