Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Going off last year Vitali doesn't look NHL ready to me. He actually looks way too skinny and not nearly strong enough. He did not have a very good year last year. Are we just going to hand him a job?

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The team specifically talked about how they liked that he came to the bubble ready to compete. Looking forward to seeing him in camp this year.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Lots of players weren't centers until the team decided they were centers and suddenly they were perfectly fine at center. They most certainly should try Kravtsov, or Kakko, or Lafreniere, or Kreider or anyone at Center during camp and see how it goes. Regardless it doesn't really matter. Center's aren't much more valuable than wingers. They are just perceived that way because more good forwards play center than wing (relative to the number of players at each position).

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lots of players weren't centers until the team decided they were centers and suddenly they were perfectly fine at center. They most certainly should try Kravtsov, or Kakko, or Lafreniere, or Kreider or anyone at Center during camp and see how it goes. Regardless it doesn't really matter. Center's aren't much more valuable than wingers. They are just perceived that way because more good forwards play center than wing (relative to the number of players at each position).

But if centers aren't more valuable why do more good forwards play center than wing?

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Your logic is backwards. More "good" players play center because it is absolutely the more valuable position. Teams slot their best players down the middle as that position has a bigger impact on the game, especially in the defensive zone.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Devils Advocate: Didnt he do ok at the WJC before getting hurt playing center because Russia was thin down the middle?

He was okay in Hodonin at the u20 Four Nations, playing center. And he wasn't injured. Kravtsov should not be forced to play center. Let him make the team first. If he develops his game to the point where he can slide to the middle, fine. But we need to stop these talks about moving players around the line up and out of position.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Your logic is backwards. More "good" players play center because it is absolutely the more valuable position. Teams slot their best players down the middle as that position has a bigger impact on the game, especially in the defensive zone.

Which then makes wings more valuable because they are more scarce and it cancels out.

Reactions: Irishguy42

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Without any moves in the offseason, it's going to be tough for him to crack the roster this season. Kakko and Buch have top 6 spots on hold and Gauthier showed well in his limited time. If they re-sign Fast, then there is no room outside one of him or Gauthier getting their spot. Gauthier I believe would require waivers to go down.

My concern with trading Buch is that if some of these kids flounder a little bit, there is no veteran to lean on for those roles. You could rotate the younger guys into the top 6 as they perform, but it could be a rough go for a little bit. Of course could move a LW to RW, but who is to say Lafreniere doesn't struggle similarly to Kakko of the rip.

On top of that, no options on that wing as a PK option unless Gauthier is groomed for it. I'd like to see it, but you'd be reliant on the other 8 forwards to fill those roles. I don't think Lafreniere or Panarin are going on the PK. Howden, Lemieux, Zibanejad, Chytil? You kind of need at least 6 guys you feel comfortable with. Kreider on the PK at this point in his career? I'd hope he'd be open and willing. This is on the basis Strome is gone.

Feel like if he wants to make the squad, he's going to have to ask for PK time. Would show maturity and could help lock in a job to show what he can do in the NHL.

If Buch is moved, there is a top 6/9 role there for someone to grab and he'd probably get the first shot at it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Going off last year Vitali doesn't look NHL ready to me. He actually looks way too skinny and not nearly strong enough. He did not have a very good year last year. Are we just going to hand him a job?
I wouldn’t hand him a job but he’s a very young player who went high in his draft class, it’s not crazy to think he’ll be NHL ready in the short term

Reactions: NYRangers0723

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I wouldn’t hand him a job but he’s a very young player who went high in his draft class, it’s not crazy to think he’ll be NHL ready in the short term

6 goals and 15 points in 39 AHL games isn't great. He's got Buchnevich, Kakko and Fast if we resign in front of him. He's not where any of them are--at least right now. He's got to get stronger and round out his game.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Kravtsov will not be handed a job. But the Rangers are happy with the adjustments they feel he's made and his attitude since coming back.

They are happy with what they're seeing.
He definitely shouldn't be handed a job, however I feel like he would benefit from getting his feet wet and getting third line minutes. The worst case scenario in all of this would be making the club and only getting 4th line minutes.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He definitely shouldn't be handed a job, however I feel like he would benefit from getting his feet wet and getting third line minutes. The worst case scenario in all of this would be making the club and only getting 4th line minutes.

I suspect he'll get a call-up if he doesn't earn a spot out of camp.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I can't help but wonder if the "we were too easy to play against" thing leads to the Rangers trading Buch to make sure they can re-sign Fast and also open a spot for Kravtsov

Not that Buch is a super soft player or anything but I have this feeling they are putting a lot of weight on how the team performed without Fast in the lineup and would really like to have him back and would rather move some other players to make that cap space/roster room

Reactions: Leetch3 and jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad