Prospect Info: Vitali Kravtsov: Part IX

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I do think that all three of Kravtsov, Kakko and Lafreniere have characteristics that would translate well to center as opposed to players like Panarin, Kreider, Buch or Gauthier.
I do not think it is a coincidence that for the third consecutive year, as soon as a first round player is drafter, HF chatter instantly turns to moving them to center.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A bit of positivity.

A week or two ago our own Panarin took a train from St. Petersberg to Chelyabinsk (he was posting very funny videos from his trip to his IG stories). On a way he was meeting and chatting with his fans (how crazy is that!!!) and afterwards a Russian sports site posted an article based on their impressions after meeting Breadman. One of such fans asked Panarin about Kravtsov potential and Panarin responded with something like "Vitaliy got hockey IQ that is 500 times bigger than my own"...

Discuss...

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
A bit of positivity.

A week or two ago our own Panarin took a train from St. Petersberg to Chelyabinsk (he was posting very funny videos from his trip to his IG stories). On a way he was meeting and chatting with his fans (how crazy is that!!!) and afterwards a Russian sports site posted an article based on their impressions after meeting Breadman. One of such fans asked Panarin about Kravtsov potential and Panarin responded with something like "Vitaliy got hockey IQ that is 500 times bigger than my own"...

Discuss...
HrjrgUL.jpg

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
When you have some of the worst C depth in the league it's easy to understand why.

Yeah, I'm not sure what his point was.

It's not a coincidence.

We desperately need centers, the most important position in all of hockey. And we have a ton of talented wingers who possess the physical attributes to perhaps convert, if they could master the mental changes.

I don't think anyone is truly saying it's easy or likely. Just that it might be something worth exploring.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When you have some of the worst C depth in the league it's easy to understand why.
1) It did not appear that here was a lack at center last year. Chytil is right where he needs to be, developing on the thirdline.

2) Once again, maybe moves that have a rather significant chance of failure should not be done without significant backup?

Reactions: Rangers ftw

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Didn't play again today, over 2 weeks now, and still no news what is going on aside from a "lower body injury" the team announced 2 weeks ago.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
This is overblown. There’s a number of teams in the league that don’t even have a 1C and we have that, and some that do but don’t have anyone as good as Strome at the 2 spot.

Our problem is we have no C prospects , but for all of those teams that do have them, what are the odds they end up as good as Zib, or even Strome?

Reactions: Anthony5967

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
This is overblown. There’s a number of teams in the league that don’t even have a 1C and we have that, and some that do but don’t have anyone as good as Strome at the 2 spot.

Our problem is we have no C prospects , but for all of those teams that do have them, what are the odds they end up as good as Zib, or even Strome?

Agreed! We don't need to solve the center position immediately. We need to let the kids grow. And if all those wings and D and goalie prospects pan out, we'll find another C or two. But we're likely 2 seasons from needing to make a big move to address if guys like Chytil and Henriksson don't pan out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Or Kuznetsov, or Draisaitl, or Domi. There are a lot of examples of NHL centers who were primarily wingers before reaching the NHL

Giroux in Philly was a winger that played as a center during his prime and now has moved back to wing.

I am definitely not against starting to ease Laf in as a center, say on a line with Panarin and Strome.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Totally fine w him playing the whole KHL season then come over after to get a few games in

Especially if he is playing well. Too many people are quick to rush or cash in on a player playing well when moving them out of that environment completely changes the dynamic and situation.

Reactions: bl02

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

There's a lot you have right here--basically I think the Rangers though have 1c and 3c/4c pretty much covered well into the future...it's really only 2c that's a potential issue if Chytil never quite gets to the 2c level but between guys like Barron, Richards, Vierling, Henriksson, Tarnstrom--maybe Khodorenko there should be enough there to cover everything else. I think the only question is 2c because Strome doesn't appear like someone who's going to be around a long time. I really think Chytil will be able to step into that 2c slot eventually though and if none of the other guys work out to be centers--3c and 4c guys can certainly be found via trade or free agency....so I think this is somewhat as you say an overblown issue.

For now if Strome hangs around for another season and Chytil makes more progress we're not in bad shape center wise.

People should relax a bit---this team is looking stacked. These guys should be absolutely no questions asked 1st line players for a long time to come--Panarin, Zibanejad, Lafreniere, Kakko. Kreider is arguably a 1st line winger as well and Buchnevich and Strome aren't all that shabby top 6 support players with Chytil getting better and Kravtsov on the way. This should be a killer offense for years to come.

RD and LD are stacked as well--just more inexperienced but Trouba, Fox, DeAngelo, Lundkvist, Schneider at RD--Lindgren, Miller, Robertson, Jones, Reunanen, Hajek, Rykov at LD. This should be a killer defense in a few years as well.

Then Shesterkin and Georgiev and if Wall and/or Lindbom, Garand pan out that accentuates our goalie depth as well.

Things just have to cook a bit longer.

Reactions: egelband and Cag29

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
What's the injury update? Is he still out?
Can't find anything anywhere. Someone on here or prospect board (I forget) had a russian article that said he could possibly make the road trip which just passed. He didn't make the trip btw. If he doesn't play tomorrow maybe something to worry about?

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
The Blackhawks won three Stanley cups without a fixture at 2C. It's not ideal but it can be done. They did it by putting two star wingers with their star center on the first line, and letting their MVP-caliber wing drive the second line on his own. Do those sound like any guys we know?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Traktor is back home playing first game after a road trip. Kravtsov is not in the lineup. 3 weeks.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Traktor is back home playing first game after a road trip. Kravtsov is not in the lineup. 3 weeks.

Bummer but with all this bonus talk he may aswell get healthy and play the whole KHL season .... come over after it’s done

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Bummer but with all this bonus talk he may aswell get healthy and play the whole KHL season .... come over after it’s done

With all unknowns and uncertainties playing for Traktor (though injured at the moment) in the KHL now is reality for Kravtsov and the Rangers that doesn’t need any projecting. Continuity that wasn’t there last season and difficult to count on in this environment. Finish the season with Traktor whenever it will be Andersson then take it from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad