Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'd say Kravtsov is a player with good odds to play in the NHL.

The question is just how good he can become.

From a pure talent standpoint, he definitely has the tools to be a first line NHL player.

Any debate over other prospects on the draft board is probably based on whether one feels another player is more likely to hit closer to their ceiling, or whether they preferred a different type of player. I'd say talent has never really been a question.

Having said that, I think there's quite a bit of work that needs to be done. If anything, I'd say there's almost a tendency to downplay the work that needs to be done because the skill level is so high. But it's important to remember that the areas in need of work aren't necessarily going to show up on highlight reel clips. Just something to keep in mind.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There was quite a bit of concern voiced in the previous Kravtsov thread essentially stating that these 5 hole goals won't beat NHL goalies. I think those folks are really misreading the situation.

I think we can probably say that about most prospects --- the tricks the use will work less frequently against better competition.

Having said that, I'm not worried about Kravtsov's shooting ability. He has the ability to put the puck where he wants. He'll adjust.

He's already aware enough to know that he has to get close to a goalie to beat them. That's half the battle with a lot of forward prospects right there.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think we can probably say that about most prospects --- the tricks the use will work less frequently against better competition.

Having said that, I'm not worried about Kravtsov's shooting ability. He has the ability to put the puck where he wants. He'll adjust.

He's already aware enough to know that he has to get close to a goalie to beat them. That's half the battle with a lot of forward prospects right there.

We can, but what I'm arguing is that Kravtsov's shot isn't a trick. It is an absolutely elite characteristic of his game that we should be excited about, not downplaying because of his competition.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
I'd say Kravtsov is a player with good odds to play in the NHL.

The question is just how good he can become.

From a pure talent standpoint, he definitely has the tools to be a first line NHL player.

Any debate over other prospects on the draft board is probably based on whether one feels another player is more likely to hit closer to their ceiling, or whether they preferred a different type of player. I'd say talent has never really been a question.

Having said that, I think there's quite a bit of work that needs to be done. If anything, I'd say there's almost a tendency to downplay the work that needs to be done because the skill level is so high. But it's important to remember that the areas in need of work aren't necessarily going to show up on highlight reel clips. Just something to keep in mind.

What would you say are the areas of weakness that Kravtsov has to work on in order to develop into an NHL-caliber player? I feel like most of the comments I’ve seen weighing his game have been boilerplate, in the vein of “he’s talented but has a long way to go”.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What would you say are the areas of weakness that Kravtsov has to work on in order to develop into an NHL-caliber player? I feel like most of the comments I’ve seen weighing his game have been boilerplate, in the vein of “he’s talented but has a long way to go”.

Some of it is typical for teenagers, some of it is a little more specific to his game (though somewhat related):

His play away from the puck
He needs to work on his compete level and not taking his foot off the pedal when defensemen step up and challenge him
He needs to add strength
Consistency
Asserting himself and driving the play (which he's capable of doing, but doesn't always do)
A little more willingness to go into the higher percentage areas and accepting that its going to come with a price
A willingness to pay the price a little more often. A good check has shown to take him out of games, going back to the MHL.
General first step quickness

Reactions: doomscroll

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Some of it is typical for teenagers, some of it is a little more specific to his game (though somewhat related):

He needs to work on his compete level and not taking his foot off the pedal when defensemen step up and challenge him
He needs to add strength
Consistency
Asserting himself and driving the play (which he's capable of doing, but doesn't always do)
A little more willingness to go into the higher percentage areas and accepting that its going to come with a price
A willingness to pay the price a little more often. A good check has shown to take him out of games, going back to the MHL.

Thanks for the thorough list, Edge. I would hope that filling in his frame (so long as it doesn’t hamper his speed) would help with the physical aspects of his game. I doubt he’ll ever remedy all of these issues entirely, but if he can develop physical and mental drive then he should develop well, which isn’t so lofty of a goal that is seems unreasonable to attain.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil

He needs to add strength
Consistency
He was pretty good defending in these past 2 games, but It must be said that his line always seemed to have the puck when they were on the ice.
That Stoa guy is also pretty good.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He was pretty good defending in these past 2 games, but It must be said that his line always seemed to have the puck when they were on the ice.
That Stoa guy is also pretty good.

Titov had previously coached Stoa with other club(s) (Spartak Moscow ) and from recent interviews he was specifically targeted by the team to center Kravtsov.

Reactions: Fvital92

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
A little OT, but I figured you might know best... I tried looking for a Kravtsov Traktor shirsey earlier, but didn't have any luck. Are you aware if any exist? Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if that exists in Russia. I bought my Kravtsov jersey a few weeks ago and customization took a few weeks. If they have something, I don't think they have Kravtsov-memorabilia in stock. I could always check for you when I go to Chelyabinsk in November ;)

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I am not sure if that exists in Russia. I bought my Kravtsov jersey a few weeks ago and customization took a few weeks. If they have something, I don't think they have Kravtsov-memorabilia in stock. I could always check for you when I go to Chelyabinsk in November ;)
Thanks! I figured it was a longshot, but you just saved me a lot of time trying to find anything. Appreciate it.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

He needs to add strength
Consistency

I haven't watched a second of Kravtsov and I'm not drawing an exact comparison here, but is he in the same vein as Brandon Pirri? Average overall player with above elite shooting ability?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I haven't watched a second of Kravtsov and I'm not drawing an exact comparison here, but is he in the same vein as Brandon Pirri? Average overall player with above elite shooting ability?

Nooooo, his skill level is exponentially higher.

He’s a smooth skater, almost glides out there.

He has excellent hands, not just shooting.

He has great anticipation for the play and a higher hockey IQ.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Thanks for the thorough list, Edge. I would hope that filling in his frame (so long as it doesn’t hamper his speed) would help with the physical aspects of his game. I doubt he’ll ever remedy all of these issues entirely, but if he can develop physical and mental drive then he should develop well, which isn’t so lofty of a goal that is seems unreasonable to attain.

I’ve used the term before, but assertiveness is what pops into my mind.

It’s knowing you have the ability and almost daring the opposition to stop you.

A good example of that was Chytil this year in the AHL.

Some of the knocks against him as a 17 year old weren’t all that different than Kravtsov. He was pushed off the puck too easily, didn’t dictate the play as consistently as he was capable and had a tendency to allow the game to be dicstated to him.

As an 18 year old? HUGE strides in that regard. Now he almost dares you to beat him.

If Kravtsov can somewhat channel that approach, he’s got a chance to be dangerous.

Again, I’d be surprised if he didn’t play in the NHL. It’s more a matter of just how good he can be.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Nooooo, his skill level is exponentially higher.

He’s a smooth skater, almost glides out there.

He has excellent hands, not just shooting.

He has great anticipation for the play and a higher hockey IQ.

That release.

Who was the guy who called ‘Gaborik’ ?
That’s what that disgusting shot reminded me of for sure. Haven’t seen enough of him to comment on his overall game, but Gabs had an elite shot and that is precisely who that reminded me of. Dirty.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That release.

That’s what that disgusting shot reminded me of for sure. Haven’t seen enough of him to comment on his overall game, but Gabs had an elite shot and that is precisely who that reminded me of. Dirty.

Well it shows you what he can potentially do.

My hope is that he truly grasps how good he can be.

In the regard, he and Denisenko were somewhat different beasts.

Denisenko knows he can/should be one of the best forwards in his draft class.

Kravtsov hasn’t quite shown that same...cockiness. But if he truly embraces it, he’s a complete offensive player.

Reactions: Rongomania

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I just want to throw this out there, and I'm sure the German speaking users here can confirm but his name sounds a hell of a lot like the German word "Kraftstoff" which means fuel (gasoline.. it's interchangeable) .

So, not sure if he has a nickname yet or not.. but maybe we can use that for a general direction when we decide he's worthy of a nickname.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Well it shows you what he can potentially do.

My hope is that he truly grasps how good he can be.

In the regard, he and Denisenko were somewhat different beasts.

Denisenko knows he can/should be one of the best forwards in his draft class.

Kravtsov hasn’t quite shown that same...cockiness. But if he truly embraces it, he’s a complete offensive player.

Right on.

He is so young, let him gain some confidence, as you said, ‘cockiness’ would be HUGE when you talk about a kid with pure skill like that.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
That release.

Not sure if it was me but I immediately was reminded of Gaborik, not only because of the whip but his seemingly instinctual ability to find lanes... that's something to be excited about. It adds a dimension to a straight speed goal scorer like Grabner or a shooter only, like Pirri... this is just my generally-limited perspective, though.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I just want to throw this out there, and I'm sure the German speaking users here can confirm but his name sounds a hell of a lot like the German word "Kraftstoff" which means fuel (gasoline.. it's interchangeable) .

So, not sure if he has a nickname yet or not.. but maybe we can use that for a general direction when we decide he's worthy of a nickname.

Vitali "Pedal to the Metal" Kravstov...

Ironically, Edge saying how he doesn't always put the pedal to the metal... maybe this nickname takes care of that lmao

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gaborik has such a unique release. He can handle the puck way out in front of him and snap his wrists and get such a high velocity on his shots it fools goalies. It's because most players can't shoot from the positions he shoots from with that same velocity so goalies aren't expecting it.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I don't see the full games, but when I watch last season's highlights plus some of the stuff so far in preseason, he looks dynamic. He's shifting gears and leaving defenders all over the ice and these aren't jr. players in CHL. If given that tenth of a second to settle the puck on his stick, he looks like he could take the flame off a candle without touching the wax with the accuracy on his shot. He seems to see the ice well too, finding teammates in open areas.

But, I'm not seeing the other 59 minutes per game that doesn't include the highlight. So it's definitely appreciated to read through the thread from people that do get to see the whole package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad