Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #9 - Vitali Kravtsov (RW) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
It’s just preseason but it’s important that he solidifies himself a top 6 role early on, so glad to see him justifying it thus far.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Please enlighten us what should golies be doing when Kravtsov does a little shake to the open blade side? This goalie probably still remembers Kravtsov's goal to his stick side.
Take it easy. I'm just saying he tends to go five hole more than most, you'd think a goalie would be somewhat prepared.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Take it easy. I'm just saying he tends to go five hole more than most, you'd think a goalie would be somewhat prepared.

Sorry if sounded offensive but it wasn’t meant to. It is just a really tough ask from a goalie to cover it against someone who has the precision and timing shown by Kravtsov.

Edit: Also if this is a goalie who let in Kravtsov’s first goal, or even otherwise paid attention to its development, had to react when Kravtsov put the puck on the front of his stick blade after a little dangle. So goalie took the bait.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sorry if sounded offensive but it wasn’t meant to. It is just a really tough ask from a goalie to cover it against someone who has the precision and timing shown by Kravtsov.

Edit: Also if this is a goalie who let in Kravtsov’s first goal, or even otherwise paid attention to its development, had to react when Kravtsov the puck on the front of his stick blade after a little dangle. So goalie took the bait.

That's the thing.

If the goalie bites, Kravtsov goes 5-hole
If the goalie waits, Kravtsov picks a corner with that quick wrister

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Grachev was a miss but @Pavel Buchnevich probably uses him as an example for his "no Russians from the CHL" stance

Grachev was a good pick though. He didn't pan out but with his size and skillset that's a solid pick in the 3rd round. Were there better players available in hindsight? Sure. But anyone who says that was a bad pick is out of their mind.

Reactions: klingsor

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Grachev was a good pick though. He didn't pan out but with his size and skillset that's a solid pick in the 3rd round. Were there better players available in hindsight? Sure. But anyone who says that was a bad pick is out of their mind.

Also an example of it being better to wait until all the checks clear before tallying up a draft haul.

The 2008 was a solid draft for the Rangers, but there was a time when it looked like those first round rounds were doing to be particularly bountiful with MDZ, Stepan and Grachev all on their way.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Again, don’t give him half a second alone in the slot, and every goalie is Biron. Also before the goal he had some good individual work to split two players to create a good chance for himself. Keep this kid’s confidence up and he’s going to be something special

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Btw, 1st Magnitogorsk goal was scored by Pavel Dorofeyev, who's a late 2000 kid and 2019 draft eligible. It's his 2nd goal for Magnitogorsk this preseason, not bad for a 17 yo kid, I'd say... My bad, that was his 3rd goal this preseason.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
Also take note of who wins the puck on the face off. Not earth-shattering, but a nifty little play.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
If Kravtsov can stay healthy this season (not to say he’s injury-prone, but IIRC he broke his wrist last season) then I would think that the expectation for him would be to be somewhere the range of production that Kuznetsov had in his D+1 season (32 pts in 44 games). That would mean he would have to compile 2x as many points as he did over 51 games last year, but if he gets adequate ice-time and maintains some consistency then I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to find a healthy-medium between his regular-season and post-season performance.

I don’t want to exclusively compare Kravtsov to Kuznetsov, primarily for the sake of keeping expectations tempered, but if this season goes well then I can see Kravtsov getting serious consideration as one of the best prospects outside the NHL. With a cohort of similar players as exclusive as his, it is hard not to get excited about the massive potential here.

It’s obviously only the pre-season we’re seeing here, but the fact that Kravtsov seems to have a considerable level of control in these scoring plays - in conflation with his ability to elevate his play in the post-season - leads me to think that these displays will be replicable to some extent going forward.

Reactions: Cag29

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Absolutely f***ing wicked

People (not you) will continue to downplay this kid because the goalies look bad when he's shooting on them. I wish these folks would take a step back and realize that he's making the goalies look bad with his deceptiveness and release, both of which are insane. This is an extreme positive being viewed as a negative by too many people.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't really know who is downplaying the kid.

There are several prospects in our organization that I think we undervalue a bit more, but I wouldn't consider Kravtsov among them.

Reactions: Cag29

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
People (not you) will continue to downplay this kid because the goalies look bad when he's shooting on them. I wish these folks would take a step back and realize that he's making the goalies look bad with his deceptiveness and release, both of which are insane. This is an extreme positive being viewed as a negative by too many people.

There are several prospects in our organization that I think we undervalue a bit more, but I wouldn't consider Kravtsov among them.

@Synergy27 - I feel you. Not in here so much, but elsewhere, I’ve heard him downplayed. I’m glad he’s come out strong this season, it’s nice for him to stick it to anyone who has doubts.

@Edge - I haven’t read too much ‘hate’ on this kid in here, but again, I’ve def heard him downplayed.

You’re 100% right that there are quite a few other kids in our system who are downplayed a helluva lot more and that is fact.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

There was quite a bit of concern voiced in the previous Kravtsov thread essentially stating that these 5 hole goals won't beat NHL goalies. I think those folks are really misreading the situation.

Reactions: Rongomania

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That's the thing.

If the goalie bites, Kravtsov goes 5-hole
If the goalie waits, Kravtsov picks a corner with that quick wrister

Actually other way around.

If the goalie goes down early he’ll go to a corner. If a goalie stays up and waits a bit to long the five hole stays open. He’s abusing them that way for sure.

Reactions: Rongomania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad