Prospect Info: Vitaly Abramov - RW/LW

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Plays the game like Yakupov, similar demeanour (imo) to Yakupov. Not saying he's a bust, as he's more of a lottery ticket at this point. The upside is obviously there, but it's not easy to transition his play style to the NHL.

This isn't a guy who will work his way into a bottom-six role, but I appreciate taking a flyer on a guy with his skill.

What you're missing is that Abramov can change speeds. And he can be very very patient when he needs to be. They are like polar opposites in that aspect.

Although he's short, he doesn't look "small" in those videos... ie he looks relatively thick through the torso. Which is really what matters, it's the skinny guys who have a hard time at the pro level.

He can get bumped pretty badly at times though. Great reads and agility but every now and then he misreads. He could be much more physical and combative in the Q, even seeking out contact, but that's not going to work for him in the pros.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Biggest boom/bust prospect in the pool now

Seriously this guy could be a impact top-6 forward, he's like Gallagher with high end skill. He has the motor, the desire, everything but sometimes, for some reason, talented players can't take it to the next level (ex : Yakupov, Filatov)

I don't think the Yak/Filly mentions have any point to them. Abramov is endlessly driven compared to Filly and endlessly brilliant compared to Yak. Same country of origin, not too much more.

As far as the Gallagher comparison, I could certainly see it in Abramov's Q game, I'm a bit hesitant to say he could do that at the pros. I haven't watched actual Cleveland Monsters games so I wouldn't know how it's been so far. But he looks a bit smaller than Gallagher, and remember that Gallagher is always playing on the edge of getting hurt.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think the Yak/Filly mentions have any point to them. Abramov is endlessly driven compared to Filly and endlessly brilliant compared to Yak. Same country of origin, not too much more.

As far as the Gallagher comparison, I could certainly see it in Abramov's Q game, I'm a bit hesitant to say he could do that at the pros. I haven't watched actual Cleveland Monsters games so I wouldn't know how it's been so far. But he looks a bit smaller than Gallagher, and remember that Gallagher is always playing on the edge of getting hurt.
Can't remember where but i saw pointe as a comparison

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's not so much that he isn't a decent prospect as he's another "potential" guy that comes with no guarantees at the NHL level.

Along with Davidsson, we just got a lot of "maybes" for an elite #1C. I don't care that he was a rental, this isn't good enough.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I watched him quite a bit atleast 15 times over the last 3 years. Good jr player, dont see it translating to the NHL.

How Dorion accepted a deal without Foudy in it is really embarassing on his behalf. However I heard he didnt like him very much which is mind blowing but not suprising.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not my kind of player at all, more meh .... it's all about the first with this trade & hopefully the conditional first turns into something.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
watched this video again... this guy looks like he is happy to be in the AHL and happy to be in 'murica unlike Filly.
I have a lot of respect for any Russian player who chooses to go to the CHL, it's really easy for them to stay in Russia, make some money, and still play in the NHL if they're good enough. Going to the CHL shows they're really serious about making the NHL.

h2owned

Nov 17, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
I saw Abramov play several times when he was in Hull. Always the best player on the ice but also the smallest. Hopefully he can help Belleville this year. Definitely has lots of skill would be great if he pans out for us.

Reactions: Clayonator

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I only used Filatov and Yakupov names to say that sometimes talent is not everything and success in other leagues doesn’t always translate to the NHL; nothing else

I was more comparing to Gallagher, the way he scores goals with a constant motor and drive. They are also very similar physically. And both don’t have skating as a strength. But yes, far from a guarantee that he’ll be able to play like that in the pros. I also mentioned that

Thought my post was very clear

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Interesting that he’s a left shooting right winger.

When is the last time we had a guy playing wing on his off hand as a natural position?

I’m tempted to say Michalek when he played with Greening and Spezza but I think his natural position was LW.

He looks a little like former penguin Tyler Kennedy. Hopefully he’s as effective for the Sens as Tyler Kennedy was against the Sens.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Interesting that he’s a left shooting right winger.

When is the last time we had a guy playing wing on his off hand as a natural position?

I’m tempted to say Michalek when he played with Greening and Spezza but I think his natural position was LW.

Bobby has been back and forth between left and right. Majority on the right side though.

Reactions: Bileur
Oct 10, 2010
After everyone settles down we start to look at things better than what they actually are chances are he stinks badly slim hope he becomes productive nothing really more to discuss if only it was possible to make him 6'2" 220 lbs lol

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
For those upset about Abramov's AHL numbers,Colin White had a mediocre season in his first year in the AHL, and now he's playing like a top 6 forward in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->