Visors

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
Visors or wire cages!

Should Visors be allowed in NCAA hockey?

Having played the game at a time neither helmets nor visors were available equipment......

I would vote for Full face Wire cages vs visors.....

There should be stats from CIS/NCAA where both are being used.Somebody must have those stats?

Rantfather

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Having played the game at a time neither helmets nor visors were available equipment......

I would vote for Full face Wire cages vs visors.....

There should be stats from CIS/NCAA where both are being used.Somebody must have those stats?

Rantfather

For years the OUA was the only CIS conference to wear full shields. In 2004, the OUA switched back to half-shields based on data showing that stick infractions (high-sticking, cross-checking) and other head-associated penalties (elbowing, I believe) were called more frequently in leagues with full shields as compared to leagues with half-shields, and that head injury rates were the same - if not slightly lower - in leagues with half-shields as compared to leagues with full shields.

I'm not sure if anyone tracked the penalty data since the OUA switched back to visors. However, having been involved in the OUA at the time of the switch, I can say the data was pretty compelling. Moreover, there is research showing that people perceive themselves (and others) as less susceptible to injury when wearing more equipment - and that this perception ironically leads to greater injury levels because these people do more idiotic things. One only needs to have played both rugby and football to know that this is true.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
For years the OUA was the only CIS conference to wear full shields. In 2004, the OUA switched back to half-shields based on data showing that stick infractions (high-sticking, cross-checking) and other head-associated penalties (elbowing, I believe) were called more frequently in leagues with full shields as compared to leagues with half-shields, and that head injury rates were the same - if not slightly lower - in leagues with half-shields as compared to leagues with full shields.

I'm not sure if anyone tracked the penalty data since the OUA switched back to visors. However, having been involved in the OUA at the time of the switch, I can say the data was pretty compelling. Moreover, there is research showing that people perceive themselves (and others) as less susceptible to injury when wearing more equipment - and that this perception ironically leads to greater injury levels because these people do more idiotic things. One only needs to have played both rugby and football to know that this is true.

Think about taking helmets out of football.. The rate of head injuries would be significantly lower because of the lack of players using their head to hit players.. Less protection usually leads to more 'cautious' play.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
When you watch NCAA-CIS exhibition games, you do notice that the NCAA players (in full cages or full visors) appear to be a lot more reckless with their sticks than the CIS players in their half-visors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->