Visors and hybrid icing one step closer

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
If they are going to do hybrid icing, they may as well do no-touch icing. The current foot race to the puck is needlessly dangerous and racing to the face-off dots is silly.
I think the ECHL has a hybrid no-touch in place... Most were whistled right off the bat (including short handed situations)...but the two that weren't led to some pretty good scoring chances...

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Interesting, so basically the only way that it won't be icing is if the attacking player is clearly ahead of the defending player by the time they get to the dot. In other words, pretty much never. The might as well go full no touch.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
You guys are whimps!

Helmets and shields should always be the players choice. As if they don't know the risk they take every time they step on the ice?

"Ooooohhhh - someone might get hurt!!!"

- "and don't skate too fast toward those boards, ok?! :) "

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
You guys are whimps!

Helmets and shields should always be the players choice. As if they don't know the risk they take every time they step on the ice?

"Ooooohhhh - someone might get hurt!!!"

- "and don't skate too fast toward those boards, ok?! :) "

You really think a goalie should be able to choose not to wear a helmet? Should they be allowed to go without pads if they choose? They may be risking themselves every time they step out there but, there's a much greater chance of getting hurt without protection. There's overkill and there's just being stupid. There's no detriment to play wearing them and if there's less change these guys go blind from and errant stick or puck, I don't care if its tough or not.

That said, I don't like the hybrid icing. It was already a penalty to charge someone in an icing race. I don't like taking out regular icing.

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
All that is accomplished with hybrid icing is to add about 10-15 seconds to every game by blowing down an obvious icing call sooner. The plays that prove to be dangerous where a player gets hurt (see Tinordi, Mark) are still part of the game so I fail to understand what they are hoping to gain with this move.

I liked the verification line experiment last year; would love to see them try that one again.

KingKopitar11*

Question, is the visor rule mandatory to all players including veterans? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
All that is accomplished with hybrid icing is to add about 10-15 seconds to every game by blowing down an obvious icing call sooner. The plays that prove to be dangerous where a player gets hurt (see Tinordi, Mark) are still part of the game so I fail to understand what they are hoping to gain with this move.

I liked the verification line experiment last year; would love to see them try that one again.

I really don't understand how people keep coming to this conclusion. In order for there to be a race all the way to the end boards, the offensive player has to be CLEARLY ahead of the defensive player by the time they reach the dot. How often does that happen? Practically never.

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
I really don't understand how people keep coming to this conclusion. In order for there to be a race all the way to the end boards, the offensive player has to be CLEARLY ahead of the defensive player by the time they reach the dot. How often does that happen? Practically never.

It's my understanding that in a dead heat situation it will also be allowed to go on... If this is wrong PLMK.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
No problem with either. The NHL is a business, they make the rules and the players either follow or head to Russia. Bryan Berard was going to have a great career and it got cut short because of an accident that MIGHT have been prevented with a visor. Imagine what would happen to the current Kings if Drew Doughty had his career cut short now. They should make cut resistant socks mandatory while they're at it, no reason for players like Karlsson to have their achilles sliced when you can wear a $30 sock-sorry if you think they're uncomfortable. The whole cave man tough guy act is old, these guys are multi-millionaires who are paid by teams for a certain amount of years to perform at a high level-not have their careers cut short because of pride. They fly chartered flights, drive 100 thousand dollar cars, live in mansions, marry women they never would have been able to get without hockey, wear expensive suits and jewelry yet all of the sudden when they hit the ice wearing a visor makes you a wimp or the kevlar socks aren't as comfortable as the socks you've been wearing since you were a kid. C'mon man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad