Visor/Facemasks

yotesfan92

Dec 21, 2005
I am about to buy a new helmet and cant decide whether to just buy a cage one or a half visor, half cage one. Anybody have any opinions on visors? Do they fog, are they better than cages? Are they easier to see with??

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Depends on what type of league and level of hockey you will be playing. If it's a men's beer league with no contact and people can for the most part control their sticks, coupled with the fact that you are a decent player yourself, then a visor should do the trick.

But if it's a full contact rec league or a physical league where people can't control their lumber, then I'd recommend a full cage.

I fully back the CCM FM480, it's pretty much the standard in college hockey.

p_04012-3.jpg

saskatchewanoilerfan

Aug 30, 2006
Yeah, if players aren't out to injure someone but just to have fun, then all you should need if a half visor, or maybe even no visor at all.

greech

Jul 17, 2004
Boston
I use a full cage. Its chromed, so its easy to see out of. I'd rather wear a full cage than lose some teeth or break my jaw..You never know what can happen even in a no-contact or rec league.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
My cage has saved me from at least two broken noses and several broken teeth. Unless you fully trust everyone you play with to keep the sticks and elbows down, I suggest the full cage. It doesn't impair my play at all, and it's nice to know I don't have to worry about covering my face all the time.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I've used the visor and visor/cage combo. Idk if I could go for a full cage...kinda funky to me personally. The visor was fine, and it covered a larger amount of my face as compared to some of those micro tiny visors you see around, it was an Itech HLC. It really only left my mouth open to injury. But after some close calls, decided not to risk it. The combo is heavier than a visor and I don't like the chin cup, but I got used to it. Fogging has not been an issue for me, and I wear glasses too. Just smear shampoo over the inside and buff it off and you'll be fine.

Avery4Byng*

No cage or visor for me, if someone is dumb enough to knock my teeth out I will break their face.

Geogaddi

Book Hockey
Nov 2, 2005
Dallas
I've always had a half visor/half cage...for some reason i just couldn't get used to seeing in a cage. Have only had one visor constantly fog up on me and it was a very old one.

I've now moved to just a visor. Its a risk im willing to take, but my main priority is my eyes. I will always wear atleast a visor when playing. But its all up to what you can play with or cant.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
If you are mildly short-sighted does having a cage make your vision even worse?? cos I am, but I don't wear glasses/contacts when i play. But my visions bad enough that I can't see facial expressions half a rink away. Actually, this might be a dumb question, but do you guys rely on facial expression much when you play? I'm just starting in a league but so far havent found it a problem cos I can't see past people's masks anyway.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
I played for three years without any incident. In the span of two weeks, I was hit in the facemask with a deflected puck and went to poke a puck and had the other team's player's stick travel up mine and hit me in the cage. The last shot, had I not been wearing a cage would more than likely have broken my jaw. It's not a question of if you will get hurt, but when, it's inevitable. If you are willing to loose teeth, or possibily even your vision, go without the cage. Wearing a cage or a visor is a desicion you have to make on your own. If you have to come to a forum like this and ask, you should probably wear a cage.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
I've also taken shots and stick of the cage. I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do than sit in a dentists chair for hours on end. Also dental work can get quite pricey rather quickly and even dental coverage runs out eventually.
Also I'm pretty sure my customers and employer would be really impressed if I showed up with a stitched up face one day.
The mouthguard will not totally prevent loosing teeth and it only covers the top teeth anyways.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
The mouthguard will not totally prevent loosing teeth and it only covers the top teeth anyways.

Actually, the biggest benefit to wearing a mouthguard isn't teeth protection, it is huge in preventing or lessening concussions. The mothguard lessenes the impact of the lower jaw into the upper jaw when a players head hits the boards. That's why it's required with the younger players.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Actually, the biggest benefit to wearing a mouthguard isn't teeth protection, it is huge in preventing or lessening concussions. The mothguard lessenes the impact of the lower jaw into the upper jaw when a players head hits the boards. That's why it's required with the younger players.

Which is why I wear one eventhouh I wear a full cage.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
No cage or visor for me, if someone is dumb enough to knock my teeth out I will break their face.

:confused:

Who cares about teeth? If you lose your eye, I don't think you're going to be able to go break the face of the one who put highsticked you. Either way, breaking their face won't bring back your eye so why take the risk?

yotesfan92

Dec 21, 2005
Well I play in a bantam league, so full faces are required, and most kids are out there to throw their body around and aren't too controlled. I was just wondering if a visor fogged up?? I have always played with a cage so i dont know. So are visors easier to see with, or do they scratch and fog too much???

http://hockeymonkey.com/newitopfx50f.html

BCCHL inactive

In this day and age, clear visors are pretty well all made with anti-fog coating. I've never had a fog problem in 10 years wearing a visor.

Avery4Byng*

:confused:

Who cares about teeth? If you lose your eye, I don't think you're going to be able to go break the face of the one who put highsticked you. Either way, breaking their face won't bring back your eye so why take the risk?

True enough. I have tried wearing a visor, i have trouble following the puck with it for some reason....

VisionQuest*

I wear a half, because the only time I ever skate out is in pickup or stick time, Im in net the rest of the time. Pretty non-physical hockey.

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
why dont u try a half visor half cage? they dont fog up, excellent vision...i use a visor in the summer but i use a full cage for university, halfie for college..,wear a moutguard regardless

Biggsy

Mar 5, 2006
Rutland/Kelowna
True enough. I have tried wearing a visor, i have trouble following the puck with it for some reason....

Yeah i wore a shield for a season, then it got scuffed so i tookit off then tried wearing it again felt weird couldnt get use to it BUT debating on whether or not to get another one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->