OT: Visiting St. Louis

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
All of the above mentioned are solid options. I’ll add this. If you and your seemingly adult kids are into beer, the AB brewery is great. But there are also some great microbrewery’s such as Urban Chestnut and 4 Hands. Also there is the armory, a cool place with lots to do.

As for the Arch….if you’ve never been it’s cool to do and say you’ve done it, but after that there’s not much reason to go back.
Schlafly too. A handful of quality breweries in STL.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Also recommend Lafayette Square (nice architecture) and going to Polite Society for dinner and Bailey’s Chocolate Bar for dessert.
I haven't spent any time in St. Louis in over a decades now, but one of the last times we were there my wife and I had dinner at Eleven Eleven Mississippi and then wandered into Bailey's Chocolate Bar. Both were great, but we liked Bailey's so much we went back the next night even though we did not eat dinner anywhere near there, and then made it a point to go back during our next visit.

I'm afraid if I lived in Lafayette Square that smoke would billow out of our scale any time I got near it just from Bailey's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Louie the Blue

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I haven't spent any time in St. Louis in over a decades now, but one of the last times we were there my wife and I had dinner at Eleven Eleven Mississippi and then wandered into Bailey's Chocolate Bar. Both were great, but we liked Bailey's so much we went back the next night even though we did not eat dinner anywhere near there, and then made it a point to go back during our next visit.

I'm afraid if I lived in Lafayette Square that smoke would billow out of our scale any time I got near it just from Bailey's.
It’s been years since I went. I believe they were closed during COVID. But it’s phenomenal.

I’d get their sundae or brownie with ice cream and split it with a friend.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The Butterfly House.

Unfortunately, it's not quite Muny or symphony orchestra season (might be when you get here).

I'll second the Botanical Garden and the zoo. And the art and history museums if those haven't been named. The art museum is terrific.

Some craft breweries have been mentioned - I'll put a wrinkle in that. I think I've seen Urban Chestnut, 4 Hands, and Schlafly named. Unfortunately, only one of those is worth your time in my opinion: Urban Chestnut. Schlafly used to be great, but cratered hard in quality over the last several years - not just the beer, but also the food, selection, and atmosphere at their restaurants. 4 Hands is mediocre. Urban Chestnut not only has good beer (Stammtisch is one of the best pilsners in the nation), their food is good, too. I like the Grove location.

Some other very good craft breweries: Civil Life, Narrow Gauge, 2nd Shift, Rockwell, Modern, Perennial, Six Mile Bridge. Most of those also have cool spaces to visit, some have decent food.

Last edited:

pseudoswede

Apr 7, 2011
Colorado
Schafly's was new-ish when I was a college freshman. I never got carded. I got introduced to the wonderful world of hefeweizens. Life was good. I'm no longer in my 20s, so I don't care for AB beers, but it is the most beautiful brewery in the US and well worth a tour. Since I was a chemical engineering major, we also got extended, behind-the-scenes tours every year at the brewery, and those were awesome.

Does The Muny still offer free seats? That was the absolute best (and free) thing to do in the summers during and after college.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Schafly's was new-ish when I was a college freshman. I never got carded. I got introduced to the wonderful world of hefeweizens. Life was good. I'm no longer in my 20s, so I don't care for AB beers, but it is the most beautiful brewery in the US and well worth a tour. Since I was a chemical engineering major, we also got extended, behind-the-scenes tours every year at the brewery, and those were awesome.

Does The Muny still offer free seats? That was the absolute best (and free) thing to do in the summers during and after college.
Indeed, they do. Or they did as of 2 summers ago.

Reactions: pseudoswede

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Wow! The memories. We went to Grant’s Farm a ton as a kid. The Whitecliff area is just down the street with that massive quarry.

And of course Affton Sports complex sumpn sumpn across the road. Played baseball and hockey there. A couple Imo girls I grew up with went to Cor Jesu right there.

Damn! We spent a lot of time in that general area. This brought up a flood of memories.
my high school Spanish teacher worked over the summer at Grant's Farm pouring the beer
as long as I asked for beer in Spanish, he would give me as many free beers as I wanted

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
my high school Spanish teacher worked over the summer at Grant's Farm pouring the beer
as long as I asked for beer in Spanish, he would give me as many free beers as I wanted

I have never taken a single second of spanish lessons and I can order a beer in spanish. Una cervesa por favor.. He was a poor teacher if that is all it took to give free beer to high school students.

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad